• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Comcast box out in the wild supports 4K HDR

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/

Check out the ARRIS XG1v4

According to a Reddit Post

https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/comments/6cxyb4/coming_soon_to_a_living_room_near_you_the_xg1v4/

The Arris XG1v4 is an HD DVR device that supports HDR10, 4K, and Bluetooth 4.2.1 and works with the XR2, XR5, and XR11 remotes. This device is currently limited in availability for new X1 customers with a professional installation. Customers can have a mix of XG1s installed in their home.

Features
Bluetooth 4.2
Supports HDR10, 4K (Note: HDR10 and 4K will not be supported until later in 2017.)
Input/Output: HMDI Out, Ethernet
Six Tuners/DVR: 500 GB Hard Drive
Supports XR2, XR5, and XR11 remotes
Device Specifications
Manufacturer: Arris
Model Number: AX014ANM; AX014ANC
Device Type: Digital Video Recorder
Device Dimensions: 10.63 W x 6.34 D x 1.18 H
Photos: Front | Back
Frequently Asked Questions
How does Bluetooth on the XG1v4 work?

XG1v4 devices are equipped with Bluetooth antennas, which allow you to connect a Bluetooth device to stream audio. This feature is currently in Comcast Labs.

What Bluetooth devices are eligible?

Currently, only Bluetooth speakers and headphones can be paired with your TV Box.

How many Bluetooth devices can be stored on the XG1v4?

You can pair one Bluetooth device; however, your Bluetooth device can be paired to other equipment. For example, the XG1v4 will pair to a speaker, that’s also connected to a laptop. But, if you’ve already paired one device to the XG1v4, you cannot pair another.

Why isn’t a clock included on the XG1v4?

The XG1v4 is the next generation video gateway. It features an updated industrial design that aligns with new X1 devices, like the Xi5, as well as future X1 devices.

Do I have to have a 4K TV to receive a XG1v4?

Customers may expect to see a mix of XG1 devices upon installation.

Will I receive 4K content if I have a XG1v4?

4K content will not be available at launch. Expected availability of 4K content is later in 2017 through Netflix, and it will require Netflix on X1 (Premium Plan), a XG1v4 and a 4K TV. Later phases of 4K will include select XFINITY On Demand, live TV and DVR content.

What will Bluetooth devices be named once connected?

Device names and device types vary by manufacturer. For example, Bose Comfort 35 headset will appear as Bose QuietComfort 35.

Can I request a XG1v4?

Initially, XG1v4 devices will only be available to new X1 customers, installed on a professional installation basis only.

1 Note: HDR10 4K and Bluetooth will not be supported until later in 2017.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Sounds like the 4K content is going to be limited to Netflix at some point in the future, and then maybe cable content?

Guessing the same for HDR.

It's kind of a hard-ask for broadcasters to start supporting 4K/HDR given the declining revenue and the slower uptick of 4K vs HD a decade ago.

Vanillalite

Sounds like the 4K content is going to be limited to Netflix at some point in the future, and then maybe cable content?

Guessing the same for HDR.

It's kind of a hard-ask for broadcasters to start supporting 4K/HDR given the declining revenue and the slower uptick of 4K vs HD a decade ago.

Don't disagree.

I could see some other things like HBO maybe picking up 4K HDR for films that have a 4K HDR copy for BR so you could run a version of that.

That being said supposedly in the UK Football/Soccer is already being broadcast in UHD. So maybe sports make the switch.

ESPN in cost cutting mode currently though so I doubt they suddenly switch from 720p.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So what 4K content is available outside of Netflix? Seems overkill.

Tons. Amazon, quicksilver, ultraviolet, twenty studio apps built into tvs. My experience however is that bandwidth crushes performance relative to 4K discs. Even HDR seems affected. I have a new XBR and gigabit fios.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Would this really matter when a lot of channels don't even broadcast in 1080p?

agm2502

That being said supposedly in the UK Football/Soccer is already being broadcast in UHD. So maybe sports make the switch.

Not just sports, Sky show a number of movies in 4k and a few TV series such as The Blacklist in 4k. BT also show 4k sport with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

StoOgE

ESPN in cost cutting mode currently though so I doubt they suddenly switch from 720p.

Exactly. Sports is the obvious place to make a money spend, but ESPN never even bothered to go full HD, and their 3D experience was a financial disaster.

With their rounds of layoffs I can't see them making the move.

Perhaps in the future we could see 4K streaming over the MLB app or the like?

Afrikan

I don't trust this "later in 2017" BS. And the fact that that is only for Netflix. Then have to wait longer for Live content??? How much longer?

Me and My cousin would've jumped on this if there weren't constant delays.

For now just waiting for our Direct TV 4K installation guy. Missed out long enough on some of these Live events that have passed.

edit- and the fact that Comcast STILL doesn't have Fox Sports 2 keeps us away.

StoOgE

I don't trust this "later in 2017" BS. And the fact that that is only for Netflix. Then have to wait longer for Live content??? How much longer?

For now just waiting for our Direct TV 4K installation guy. Missed out long enough on some of these Live events that have passed.

What does Directv offer though?

A PPV movie channel and a special event channel that has 2 Nascar races? I have a UHD player and enjoy the content, but I'm pretty content that 4K/HDR is going to be for enthusiasts only

FLEABttn

Banned
Exactly. Sports is the obvious place to make a money spend, but ESPN never even bothered to go full HD, and their 3D experience was a financial disaster.

With their rounds of layoffs I can't see them making the move.

Perhaps in the future we could see 4K streaming over the MLB app or the like?

ESPN picking 720p instead of 1080i was purposeful because at the time a progressive image looked better for sports than an interlaced image.

4k streaming over the MLB app would require the entire production pipeline of regional sports networks to be in 4k, which I don't see as happening soon. I know DirecTV offers some 4k games but I suspect that they subsidize that production to an extent. It's probable that rotating 4k streams that match the DirecTV content eventually happen but I wouldn't be surprised if that's years off. I can also only imagine the kind of strain 4k puts on the streaming services, as a consistent 720p/60fps already isn't being consistently delivered today.

Vanillalite

ESPN picking 720p instead of 1080i was purposeful because at the time a progressive image looked better for sports than an interlaced image.

4k streaming over the MLB app would require the entire production pipeline of regional sports networks to be in 4k, which I don't see as happening soon. I know DirecTV offers some 4k games but I suspect that they subsidize that production to an extent. It's probable that rotating 4k streams that match the DirecTV content eventually happen but I wouldn't be surprised if that's years off. I can also only imagine the kind of strain 4k puts on the streaming services, as a consistent 720p/60fps already isn't being consistently delivered today.

I think people would be happy with just games of the week or big time stuff.

Like NBA finals in 4K or the Saturday Night CFB game of the week. Like MNF could be in 4K.

You wouldn't expect all gazillion CFB games on Saturday though.

Madness

I don't get it? Every single HDR television out now has the Netflix app with full HDR support built in. So if the box is only to give you 4K and HDR but the only content available right now is Netflix, what is the box for?

But content is absolutely garbage in terms of quality outside of UHD discs. It is no contest when it comes to HDR and 4K quality of UHD movies compared to whatever Amazon or Netflix has out, or what you can see on YouTube.

Afrikan

What does Directv offer though?

A PPV movie channel and a special event channel that has 2 Nascar races? I have a UHD player and enjoy the content, but I'm pretty content that 4K/HDR is going to be for enthusiasts only

They had a bunch of Premier League Games.
MLB Games. Olympics too I believe. As well as Auto races. Also some UFC PPVs. (and all you have to pay for was the HD price)

I'm sure they would've had this past SuperBowl, if the NFL or (Fox was it?) wasn't so cheap about their broadcast.

I'm sure they will have some NFL games this year though.

Look I'm rooting for Comcast to get their shit together. It has been a pain in the ass to get BOTH Comcast Internet and Direct TV service at the same time, in this older apartment building.

Kind of surprising.

Comcast was not even the market leader when it came to the HD upgrade, and even today there are many channels on Comcast, like secondary HBO channels, that are only available in SD.

riotous

Banned
I don't get it? Every single HDR television out now has the Netflix app with full HDR support built in. So if the box is only to give you 4K and HDR but the only content available right now is Netflix, what is the box for?

They want you using Netflix through their cable box.

And from a consumer perspective, it could be more convenient. The ability to search for something on X1 and see the Netflix search results mixed in with On Demand results is actually pretty nice.

Granted the X1 Netflix interface is so slow right now that it's mostly "cool, that's on Netflix too, I'm gonna switch to PS4 and launch the app" but assuming they work that out, I see no reason why cable customers wouldn't find that convenient.

Slayven

Never trust Comcast on time tables

FLEABttn

Banned
And yet they recently downgraded all non major network channels to 720p 3.5Mbps H264 in my area.

This, and Comcast has been downgrading some 1080i channels to 720p.

It's hard to get excited about them pushing this out when others are able to provide superior products for less money (the Genie and Hopper 3 for example).

I know I'm super late on this but it's been a day at work. I assume this has something to live TV streaming (mobile devices don't do interlaced video without processing, which kills battery life) and/or freeing up bandwidth by minimizing how much is taken up by a QAM system that is eventually going to be replaced by IPTV anyways.

Top Bottom