• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New study projects drop in Millenial voter turnout in 2018

pigeon

Banned
I see the usual suspects are still going on about Bernie or Busters instead of blaming themselves for running an incompetent corrupt establishment apparatchik. Did you guys check under your beds for Berniebros tonight? Maybe you'll find Clinton's emails there too.

In another time and place these YAAAAS QUEEN HillGAF zealots would not be out of place in say the Khmer Rouge going by their behavior here doing the primaries and leading up to the election.

Anyone that did not accept their dogma and fall in on the DNC party line was forced to engage in Maoist self-confession for the crime of supporting a people's candidate over a Wall Street hack and then would exit the thread to be metaphorically executed (banned) for what they confessed as in the film The Killing Fields.

Is it any wonder that millenials don't want anything to do with the morally and intellectually bankrupt Democratic Party and would rather just stay home?

Don't be afraid, citizen. We can't ban you yet. Not until you learn to love Hillary.

As a millennial and an unmarried woman I seem to count for 2 different groups in this study. As someone who's never really voted in the past I'm actually pretty excited to be able to do my part next year especially after everything that's been happening politically in the US these past 6 months.

Here is where you should listen. Stop caring about voter turnout.

Actually, that's where I and probably everyone else stopped listening. If you don't get why turnout is important then you have nothing to contribute to this discussion.

How about trying more grass roots leftist candidates?

Like, duh. Obviously this would change everything. The Democrats are neither grass roots nor leftist though.

johnny956

what in the name of fuck is this shit, there's like one state that was within 20% last year where this is even remotely close to being the case and that was pennsylvania (e: actually, even they had absentee voting!)

the National Conference of State Legislatures literally has an entire page devoted to this

ohio with its GOP governor and GOP supermajority legislature literally had early voting for a full fucking month before the election, for all the good that did

I see my good ol' state of Missouri is one of the few with crappy early voting. I thankfully got to vote early last year as I was out of town for work but I had to bring in my hotel confirmation and an email from my boss stating as such.

Cipherr

Lazy asses. I hate it all.

But come 2020, they will have THE opinion on things and demand to be listened to while blaming the current flaming landscape on everyone else; especially those who actually are putting in work to fix shit.

Makes me fucking sick.

TarNaru33

Banned
I hate this excuse so much. You really think making Election Day a national holiday would help? These same people who cba to vote now, would be the same people to not vote because they would "waste" a day off.

We also have multiple solutions for those who can't make it to the polls on Election Day. Early and absintee voting is a thing. Also here in Michigan, polls are open from 7 am to 9 pm, that's 14 hours of time on Election Day to vote, you're telling me all these millenials work 13+ hour days and just can't get out to vote? And even they did, I can almost guarantee you that their employers would allow them to leave to go vote.

It's a fucking cop out for being lazy and it just pisses me off to see people use it as an excuse.

So after all this Russia nonsense you want to connect voting to the internet? Voting cannot be online because it opens up the system to many other issues, not just hacking the results and online ballot stuffing, but what happens when a precincts voting site gets too much traffic? Or, what about DDoS attacks on certain one sided precincts?

You would be surprised how many people do not know of absentee voting and FYI, there are certain requirements in some states to qualify for absentee voting.

I had to take a occurence on my attendance at my job for me to vote last time. Also making election days a holiday spreads awareness of the fact it is a voting day. A lot of people do not go to midterms for example because they simply do not even know when it happens.

U.S is very backwards on policies to increase voter turnout.

Mael

And this is exactly why no one gives a shit about youth vote.
You can cry all you want about people not catering to your needs or whatever but in the end if in a partnership you've proven to be unreliable and a liability no one is going to count on you for anything.
Don't complain about dastardly politicians stripping you of your rights after not caring enough to even show up when you were asked about your opinion.

hawk2025

I see the usual suspects are still going on about Bernie or Busters instead of blaming themselves for running an incompetent corrupt establishment apparatchik. Did you guys check under your beds for Berniebros tonight? Maybe you'll find Clinton's emails there too.

In another time and place these YAAAAS QUEEN HillGAF zealots would not be out of place in say the Khmer Rouge going by their behavior here doing the primaries and leading up to the election.

Anyone that did not accept their dogma and fall in on the DNC party line was forced to engage in Maoist self-confession for the crime of supporting a people's candidate over a Wall Street hack and then would exit the thread to be metaphorically executed (banned) for what they confessed as in the film The Killing Fields.

Is it any wonder that millenials don't want anything to do with the morally and intellectually bankrupt Democratic Party and would rather just stay home?

Neoliberalism
Burgeoise
Capitalism

More! More!

Foucault
TPP
The crime bill
Paid speeches

Hurt. Me. More!

Animal Farm
The Capital
Banks, bailouts, interest rates, usury
Clinton foundation
Oligarchy

And the New. World. Order!

I'm a millenial who votes but I can understand poor turnout because of accessibility, or lack thereof, of voting. It's not enough to sign up to vote by mail (which is how I do it). From there, you need to follow the instructions for filling it out, package the multiple forms into an envelope, and then physically find a mail drop-off bin.

I know voting took me a couple weeks to get to because I had to plan out when I would have time to go out of my way and drop my vote off. And this is supposedly the easy option. In a world where we have extremely quick and well-designed forms of communication, voting is archaic.

Top Bottom