• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York ban on nunchucks ruled unconstitutional by federal court

manfestival

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...constitutional-says-federal-court/2347167002/
A 1974 New York state ban on nunchucks that was put into place over fears that youth inspired by martial arts movies would create widespread mayhem is unconstitutional under the Second Amendment, a federal court has ruled.

Maloney, a professor at the State University of New York’s Maritime College, said some of his motivation was outrage. “How could a state simply ban any and all possession of a weapon that had a long and proud history as a martial-arts weapon, with recreational, therapeutic and self-defense utility,” he said.

Looks like a new Christmas Present option just opened up in New York.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
giphy.gif

Looks like a new Christmas Present option just opened up in New York.
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
You know what's sad? I didn't even realize they were banned in New York, and yet, somehow I'm not surprised at all...

Kadayi

Banned
I had a cousin who bought a pair of these because he was big on martial arts. I think there was more risk of him doing himself a mischief than anyone else.

Woo-Fu

Banned
been banned in sweden since forever along with butterflies

Bans on butterfly knives is another one that hasn't aged well. Practically every modern pocket folding knife has a thumb stud or flipper that allow you to open them even quicker than a butterfly. Instead of banning butterflies specifically they should fall under the same laws that govern length of folding blades in most places---particularly since the design of a butterfly tends to give it a longer blade in comparison to knives that are the same length folded.

Of course if you're talking about the other type of butterfly knives, never mind. :)

Last edited:

lil puff

This is definitely the kind of law to get outraged over.

Next up, free nunchucks for MTA conductors and homeless. Prevent them from getting beat down in the subways.

Top Bottom