• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newsweek: How the Trump Foreign Business Ties Could UPEND US National Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, Trump's businesses have ties with several international businesses that can be shady. In addition to that, it gets complicated to say "no" to Trump organizations when potentially the son of the President of the United States calls you and wants a local zoning issue resolved in say....India. The author suggests that because Trump's businesses are so entangled in businesses acorss the world, the only way to disentangle the potential for conflicts of interest is for the ENTIRE Trump family to disavow themselves from Trump business' profits. Some choice quotes down below, but please read the entire article:

If Donald Trump is elected president, will he and his family permanently sever all connections to the Trump Organization, a sprawling business empire that has spread a secretive financial web across the world? Or will Trump instead choose to be the most conflicted president in American history, one whose business interests will constantly jeopardize the security of the United States?

Throughout this campaign, the Trump Organization, which pumps potentially hundreds of millions of dollars into the Trump family’s bank accounts each year, has been largely ignored. As a private enterprise, its businesses, partners and investors are hidden from public view, even though they are the very people who could be enriched by—or will further enrich—Trump and his family if he wins the presidency.

A close examination by Newsweek of the Trump Organization, including confidential interviews with business executives and some of its international partners, reveals an enterprise with deep ties to global financiers, foreign politicians and even criminals, although there is no evidence the Trump Organization has engaged in any illegal activities. It also reveals a web of contractual entanglements that could not be just canceled. If Trump moves into the White House and his family continues to receive any benefit from the company, during or even after his presidency, almost every foreign policy decision he makes will raise serious conflicts of interest and ethical quagmires.

Here's one example of a potential conflict of interest. Plenty more at the link

Trump already has financial conflicts in much of the Islamic world, a problem made worse by his anti-Muslim rhetoric and his impulsive decisions during this campaign. One of his most troubling entanglements is in Turkey. In 2008, the Trump Organization struck a branding deal with the Dogan Group, named for its owners, one of the most politically influential families in Turkey. Trump and Dogan first agreed that the Turkish company would pay a fee to put the Trump name on two towers in Istanbul.

When the complex opened in 2012, Trump attended the ribbon-cutting and declared his interest in more collaborations with Turkish businesses and in making significant investments there. In a sign of the political clout of the Dogan family, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan met with Trump and even presided over the opening ceremonies for the Trump-branded property.

However, the Dogans have fallen out of favor, and once again, a Trump partner is caught up in allegations of criminal and unethical activity. In March, an Istanbul court indicted Aydin Dogan, owner and head of the Dogan Group, on charges he engaged in a fuel-smuggling scheme. Dogan has proclaimed his innocence; prosecutors are seeking a prison sentence of more than 24 years...............................

With the Dogans now politically radioactive, Erdogan struck at the family’s business partner, Trump, for his anti-Muslim rhetoric. In June, Erdogan called for the Trump name to be removed from the complex in Istanbul and said presiding over its dedication had been a mistake.

This is no minor skirmish: American-Turkish relations are one of the most important national security issues for the United States. Turkey is among the few Muslim countries allied with America in the fight against the Islamic State militant group; it carries even greater importance because it is a Sunni-majority nation aiding the U.S. military against the Sunni extremists. Turkey has allowed the U.S. Air Force to use a base as a major staging area for bombing and surveillance missions against ISIS. A Trump presidency, according to the Arab financier in direct contact with senior Turkish officials, would place that cooperation at risk, particularly since Erdogan, who is said to despise Trump, has grasped more power following a thwarted coup d’état in July.

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/09/23/donald-trump-foreign-business-deals-national-security-498081.html

Kaiterra

Banned
So this is what Eichenwald was talking about. I would have figured this was obvious to be honest. Not that it isn't a good point to bring up, and in depth.

So this is what Eichenwald was talking about. I would have figured this was obvious to be honest. Not that it isn't a good point to bring up, and in depth.

Yeah, I don't see any huge bombshells here - just a laundry list of specifics for things that we all probably assumed in general.

Still, it'll be interesting to see the reaction. What's the likelihood that Trump would be willing, as Eichenwald suggests, to permanently sever all ties with his foundation?

wildfire

Banned
You guys are downplaying this too much. Yes it can be said we can assume Trump will use his position to advance his businesses and most of them are tied to foreign interests. But it was never understood by us with what countries and companies he has ties with.

Until the story about Russia broke I had no proof that Trump was national security threat even though I've been saying as much since November. I didn't know until this OP about his ties to Turkey.

Trump having business relations with companies in the Caribbean or EU would be more benign than areas of greater conflict like Russia and Turkey.

So it is very important to actually work towards being specific now about what Trump's business ties really are instead of working on vague conjecture and sounding like a conspiracy theorist nutter.

This is about as tenuous as the Clinton Foundation donor list.

That's addressed in the article. The Clinton Foundation donations are public. They don't earn salaries from the CF, so they can more easily spin it off if she wins. Trump's ENTIRE FAMILY would have to disengage from Trump's businesses FOREVER in order to avoid conflicts of interests. Has anything in Trump's history shown that he'd be willing to do that?

thebloo

What's the likelihood that Trump would be willing, as Eichenwald suggests, to permanently sever all ties with his foundation?

Let me tell you, I might cut all ties. But it doesn't matter, because I'll be making America great again for everyone, including my business which I have nothing to do with anyway because I hired the best people. The ultimate. Really, it's the ultimate. And the deals will be great and we'll be making America great again.

Let me tell you, I might cut all ties. But it doesn't matter, because I'll be making America great again for everyone, including my business which I have nothing to do with anyway because I hired the best people. The ultimate. Really, it's the ultimate. And the deals will be great and we'll be making America great again.

Follow up questions that will be asked (in theory) by the media/moderators: Ok, but will your family also cut ties to the Trump businesses?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's interesting to note, that there are several lines of thought out there that state how Trump is bad for America, either because he's shit at business or because he's too good at it.

If there's one thing Trump has shown this campaign is that his business comes first. Look at the amount of money the campaign funnels into it, his Scotland trip... anyone who thinks that's gonna stop November 9 if he wins is a fool

thebloo

Follow up questions that will be asked (in theory) by the media/moderators: Ok, but will your family also cut ties to the Trump businesses?

I don't want to destroy my brain to create another paragraph of word salad impersonating Trump. Bottom line, he won't answer and you can't really make him. Worst case, he'll say he doesn't "talk about it" or pivot to something about ISIS.

I don't want to destroy my brain to create another paragraph of word salad impersonating Trump. Bottom line, he won't answer and you can't really make him. Worst case, he'll say he doesn't "talk about it" or pivot to something about ISIS.

And this, incidentally, is where I think the press has really fallen down. With a few exceptions (like the Jake Tapper interview where he asked about Judge Curiel), the press hasn't really been willing or able to press him repeatedly on questions where he evades or bullshits. They've been unwilling to play tough and nail him down on the things he says. Hell, they haven't, by and large, even been willing to do the old Jon Stewart trick of playing him a tape of a thing he said previously when he's just contradicted that prior statement.

I get that is what Trump does, but it's not going to be as simple this time around. Look at this example:

Another business relationship that could raise concerns about conflicts involves Azerbaijan, a country the State Department said in an official report was infused with “corruption and predatory behavior by politically connected elites.” According to Trump’s financial filings, the Republican nominee is the president of two entities called OT Marks Baku LLC and DT Marks Baku Manaaina Member Corp. Those were established as part of deals the Trump Organization made last year for a real estate project in the country’s capital. The partner in the deal is Garant Holding, which is controlled by Anar Mammadov, the son of the country’s transportation minister, Ziya Mammadov. According to American diplomatic cables made public in 2010, the United States possessed information that led diplomats to believe Ziya Mammadov laundered money for the Iranian military. No formal charges have been brought against either Mammadov.

Once again, however, this exposes potential conflicts between Trump’s business connections and national security. While the development is currently on hold, it has not been canceled, meaning that Anar Mammadov could soon be paying millions of dollars to Trump. If American intelligence concludes, or has already concluded, that his business partner’s father has been aiding Iran by laundering money for the military, will Trump’s foreign policy decisions on Iran and Azerbaijan be based on the national security of the United States or the financial security of Donald Trump?

He'll come back with a quote like you mentioned or "EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS", but this is one article. What happens when he's asked about this day after day and reporters dig up other similar stories? His die hard supporters won't care, but Hillary just needs some of the "middle" to see things like "Trump business could be helping money launder to Iran" + however many other stories like this end up showing up from now until November.

All that hype over a story that will barely resonate.

This. The guy wrote this story could change the state of the discussion on the race.

This is just an article of things we already could have guessed, written in a 5000 word summary that few people will even have the attention span to read though.

wildfire

Banned
It's interesting to note, that there are several lines of thought out there that state how Trump is bad for America, either because he's shit at business or because he's too good at it.

He's shit at spinning off into new ventures, see Trump Ice, Trump Mag, Trump Steaks, Trump U. (the Apprentice being the only solid notable non real estate venture)

He's solid at parting people with their money like a con man, see Trump charities, Trump books.

The Trump numbness is real. People calling this lame cause there isn't live leak video of him helping smuggle money for ISIS. Fucking hell, this is how he wins isn't it? The solution to pollution is dillution. Just spout endless shit every day and major conflicts of national security intertwined with massive personal gains are branded, "lame."

You youngins not old enough to remember Halliburton? Cheney was no longer even on the board and look how that all panned out. Literal trillions of american tax payer dollars unaccounted for in Iraq.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is clickbait and nothing more. Even IF he had a chance at actually winning.

He actually does have a chance at winning, but you're right--this is nothing. The voters won't care.

Torokil

GMA was talking about it but yeah this doesn't seem like an effective attack against Trump. The only thing that really brings his polls numbers down are when people of color in respected positions (Khan, Curiel) push his buttons and he flips.

Setsuna

The Trump numbness is real. People calling this lame cause there isn't live leak video of him helping smuggle money for ISIS. Fucking hell, this is how he wins isn't it? The solution to pollution is dillution. Just spout endless shit every day and major conflicts of national security intertwined with massive personal gains are branded, "lame."

You youngins not old enough to remember Halliburton? Cheney was no longer even on the board and look how that all panned out. Literal trillions of american tax payer dollars unaccounted for in Iraq.

No thats not even remotely true

No thats not even remotely true

Depends on what money you are talking about. Actual cash, there are billions gone missing, ranging from sums of 15-30 billion amounts. Unaccounted for pentagon spending (still comes from tax dollars), that went into the war in Iraq, almost certainly breaks the trillion mark. When it comes to Iraq, there are very few receipts for very large sums.

Edit: The unaccountably of DOD spending is another topic all together. My initial point was to highlight the fact that when it comes to personal financial gain intertwined with matters of national security, we already have precedence. DOD spending on private contractors and other non military assets during times of war has shown to be so poorly accounted for we will likely never know the exact amount. The issues that allowed all this unaccounted for spending to happen still exist and could easily be exploited by someone with less publicly disclosed assets and a more tangled web of interests. Halliburton was a clear as day conflict of interest and it still happened.

There isn't much good investigative journalism anymore, it's not even close to clickbait. In 20 years we'll be lucky to have journalists worth a shit like the guy who wrote this.

It's detailed but it's fundamentally the drawn out version of a top 10 list. Anyone paying enough attention to be interested in the matter already deduced this would be a conflict of interest. Anyone that isn't paying attention is unlikely to read. He has a chance of winning but it's remote. But you're absolutely correct that in 20 years we will miss even this quality of reporting.

I think Eichenwald made a mistake for trying to hype his article, because now people feel underwhelmed. Still, it's important for pieces like this to be written and I'm glad he put in the work. If people can't see the value in having specific examples rather than "eh, I just sort of assumed there was stuff like this" then I don't know what to tell them. It's a pretty good read. Definitely a bit more concerning than the Clinton Foundation stuff, and Lord knows we talked about that plenty.

Exactly.

The media is too busy chasing Hillary health stories, because that gets more clicks than "Donald Trump did/said yet another stupid thing." Watching the irresponsible reporting on Hillary's health this past week has been absolutely infuriating, especially when shit like Trump's boasting about having the tallest buildings in NY on 9/11 went wildly under-reported by comparison.

Exactly.

The media is too busy chasing Hillary health stories, because that gets more clicks than "Donald Trump did/said yet another stupid thing." Watching the irresponsible reporting on Hillary's health this past week has been absolutely infuriating, especially when shit like Trump's boasting about having the tallest buildings in NY on 9/11 went wildly under-reported by comparison.

Today it seems to be a lot of him being an asshole:
Focus on his bullshit dr.oz appearance where he will reveal almost nothing of his medical records
His photo op visit to Flint
All of Colin Powells negative remarks on Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom