• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Network Suspends Brian Baldinger 6 Months For Promoting Bounties

Status
Not open for further replies.
More at link:

Deadspin said:
The NFL Network has suspended analyst and former NFL player Brian Baldinger six month without pay, Sporting News reports. On Friday Baldinger went on the radio with Philadelphia’s 97.5 The Fanatic, and recommended that the Eagles put a bounty on and attempt to injure Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliot, ahead of the teams’ Sunday clash. The Cowboys ultimately won that game 29-23, behind 96 yards from Elliot.

The most egregious parts, via NJ.com:

“And I just want you guys to have the same amount of ... I want you guys to be irked like I am. I want you to go to bed tonight thinking about this guy, and how pretty he is, and how good he is, because all these backs are the same. They’re all pretty, and they’re all special, and they do all these commercials until they just get tattooed.”

“Until you just pound them into the turf. Until you just drill ‘em. Until their head hurts. So that bumble bee is flying around in their helmet, so he just didn’t know how hard he just got blasted.”

“This is the guy that we gotta hurt. This is the guy that we gotta take out of the game. There’s got to be 10 guys that want to hurt him every single play. In fact, we may even put a little bounty on Ezekiel Elliott. Let’s get to [backup] Alfred Morris.”

I was stunned at how stupid this comment was, and agree with the NFL Network decision to suspend him.

It would have been typical sports hot take until he went here, "...Until their head hurts. So that bumble bee is flying around in their helmet"
Like, jesus Baldy, c'mon. And then he just kept talking.

Like, he could have just said "I want my players to go to bed thinking about this guy, how good he ism how pretty he is..." "... I want them to want to pound them into the turf." That kind of stuff can be fine.

Yet if someone had actually deliberately taken him out? 15 yards and like $12k.

The NFL suspended a coach for a year (and attempted to do the same for players) for promoting bounties. That specifically is the part they likely took issue with.

Baldinger is just a typical cliche fueled NFL meathead analyst so whatever gets them off tv is fine with me.

Nobody throws shade like Deadspin

Brian Baldinger made the mistake of uttering his comments at a time when the NFL desperately wants to appear serious about player health, and made the mistake of being an utterly expendable analyst.

kmfdmpig

Pretty dumb to say something that gets you suspended when you're in that position. There are a ton of ex-players that would take that job and thrive in it, so it's not like Baldinger is irreplaceable.

Yet if someone had actually deliberately taken him out? 15 yards and like $12k.

Yeah, or flagging the offensive player. Burfict is still playing this season, which is astounding:

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/788157960010825728

Heath Evans next please. He's awful.

DIsagreed... Heath Evans is one of the only decent former players that NFL Network has doing analysis. Deion Sanders' dedicated Sunday night recap show is unwatchably bad... Sunday Night Prime or whatever it is.

The non-player NFL Network people, though, are excellent, but sadly they're only relegated to podcasts and the Around the League desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom