• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo "could" lose Wii U trademark rights in England

udivision

The reason the 3DS was confused for a DS upgrade was because it was marketed as an upgrade. Not because of the actual name.

I still think this is releveant:
DS
DS Lite
DSi
DSi XL
3DS

vs.

Wii
Wii U

Which is why Wii U wont' have the same issue.

On Topic:
lol™

hirokazu

I thought their logo for "U" might've been similar to the "U" in Wii U, but they look nothing alike! This is completely absurd.

Eiji

Not name but logo related:

NTSC
dreamcast_logo_490.jpg

PAL
sega-dreamcast-logo-500x359.jpg

Brera

Banned
This is usually for the best when it comes to Nintendo console names.

Nintendo64 >>>> Ultra64.

Wii-U is a shit name.

vitacola

In Germany you would have to describe your trademark and if the "U" guys didn't state "gaming console" in their trademark application/description (how do you call it in English?), they probably won't stop Big N calling the Wii successor "Wii U" in Germany. Should be the same for the UK, because of EU and stuff or am I wrong?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
In Germany you would have to describe your trademark and if the "U" guys didn't state "gaming console" in their trademark application/description (how do you call it in English?), they probably won't stop Big N calling the Wii successor "Wii U" in Germany. Should be the same for the UK, because of EU and stuff or am I wrong?
Well, it isn't technically the console itself, as part of a class of goods and services, that is opposed. Information Technology Junction's trademark "U" is registered under classes 42, 41, 38 and 35 of the OHIM, and these classes contain the goods and services for which reputation is claimed. These classes Wii U is also registered under.

For example, class 42 is the following:

Providing customized on-line web pages and data feeds featuring user-defined information, which includes blog posts, new media content, other on-line content, and on-line web links to other websites; developing and hosting a server on a global computer network for the purpose of facilitating e-commerce via such a server; designing,creating, maintaining and hosting online retail and electronic commerce websites; computer services, namely, providing a web-based system for e-commerce purposes; providing a web site featuring temporary use of nondownloadable software allowing web site users to upload, post and display online information, posts, comments, videos for sharing with others; computer services namely, providing a web site where users can post ratings, reviews and recommendations on products and services for commercial purposes; advice, consultancy and information relating to the aforesaid services.

vitacola

Rösti;37506934 said:
Well, it isn't technically the console itself, as part of a class of goods and services, that is opposed. Information Technology Junction's trademark "U" is registered under classes 42, 41, 38 and 35 of the OHIM, and these classes contain the goods and services for which reputation is claimed. These classes Wii U is also registered under.

For example, class 42 is the following:
OK, so it's primarily about the network, shop and websites?
I can see how the website(s) could be a problem, but does the content of the shop (for example "Wii U Download" or "Wii U Classic" or whatever) fit into the class 42?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
OK, so it's primarily about the network, shop and websites?
I can see how the website(s) could be a problem, but does the content of the shop (for example "Wii U Download" or "Wii U Classic" or whatever) fit into the class 42?
I do not believe the content of the e-shop, as long as it is downloadable, fits into class 42 or the other classes referenced.

vitacola

Rösti;37508128 said:
I do not believe the content of the e-shop, as long as it is downloadable, fits into class 42 or the other classes referenced.
lol, how I hate those trademark things. So there will be only a problem with the webpages?
Thanks for the clarification so far ;)

BurntPork

Banned
Since this was bumped, it should be noted the possible problem in the US was actually solved rather quickly. Basically, give up any hope of a name change now.

Top Bottom