• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's Supplemental Computing Devices patent almost granted, issue fee paid

Tadaima

Design wise I hope it looks something like the Wii, and slides into a dock at a striking angle.

The Wii is still one of my favorite console designs.
The "designs" in patents rarely reflect anything remotely resembling final forms. Look at the controller, for instance.

DataGhost

Not necessarily. Even a competitor would bring out a such a device today, they'd be able to get it off the market again with their patent due in August.

The delay is probably more about software/hardware production issues, or because they're afraid of copying by competitors on different aspects which they cannot block via patents.
However at that point, the thing isn't even unique anymore even if the patent infringers no longer can sell it. That would affect some sales. I can see them delaying this to make absolutely certain the competitors don't exactly know what Nintendo is trying to do.

However, how much power can having a patent do? Isn't it entirely possible to circumvent the patent with loopholes making patents sometimes moot.

However at that point, the thing isn't even unique anymore even if the patent infringers no longer can sell it. That would affect some sales. I can see them delaying this to make absolutely certain the competitors don't exactly know what Nintendo is trying to do.

However, how much power can having a patent do? Isn't it entirely possible to circumvent the patent with loopholes making patents sometimes moot.

Not really loopholes but changing the it somehow so it works the same but in a different way?

By the way, do you need to show a working product to get the patent granted?

pestul

[*]Supplemental computing device(s) configured to detachably couple to a game console in order to provide processing resources for an increase of speed or quality of a user's gaming experience.

[*]The supplemental computing device includes one or more processors, memory and one or more communication interfaces.

[*]In some instances, the functionality of the device may be basic in order to keep a cost of the device relatively low. As such, the device may be free from drivers, video cards, user-control interfaces, and the like.
That part sounds like what we'll see at launch to me. Maybe the increased power dock is something that can happen later.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Not really loopholes but changing the it somehow so it works the same but in a different way?

By the way, do you need to show a working product to get the patent granted?
As far as I know, you do not need to show a working product to get a patent grant.

DataGhost

Rösti;211698051 said:
As far as I know, you do not need to show a working product to get a patent grant.
So I can theoretically get a patent for a product that works in theory but maybe not practically...yet.

So I can theoretically get a patent for a product that works in theory but maybe not practically...yet.

This is exactly how patent trolls work. They get broad-reaching patents without any sort of practical implementation and then sue the shit out of anyone they like.

It's a flawed system.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
With what we know know about it being a hybrid, but apparently cheaper than most expect, what's a realistic application for this patent that wouldn't break the bank?

More RAM for higher resolution textures, and a small cheap processor to help with upressing to 1080p maybe? Or would simply supplying more power from the mains still count?

Probably nothing at launch. But maybe put out an SCD 2-3 years down the road to provide a boost. It could be their way of doing iterative upgrades vs. Sony/MS requiring replacing whole consoles.

Nintendo could do something like:

Put out NX with dock.

2-3 years later put out SCD to boost performance for those who want it.

2-3 years put out NX successor (new tablet piece)--works alone at a bit above first gen with SCD, good bit above if paired with that old SCD

2-3 years latter put out new SCD to boost further.

Then just repeat that pattern of alternating SCD and tablet/core upgrades every few years.

Who knows what will happen, but that make as more sense to me that the unwieldy solution of people having multiple SCDs hooked up at once. The patent may just be showing that tech is possible.

Servbot24

Banned
So my guess is, that the delay was because of this. If they started showing that off beforehand, copying would be easily possible due to not having the patent yet, now they got it, they can show off what they have and Sony/Microsoft whatever cant just copy it...

Interesting...

Sony and MS don't give a shit about Nintendo. If they do even remember that Nintendo exists, it's so they can have a model of what not to do.

That aside, there could be any number of reasons NX is launching when it's launching. This just so happens to be the single bit of information you have that may or may not be related to NX (Nintendo has tons of patents pending not related to NX after all), so you're making the assumption that things revolve around that one bit of info you have.

Also I don't recall any indication that NX was actually delayed.

Sony and MS don't give a shit about Nintendo. If they do even remember that Nintendo exists, it's so they can have a model of what not to do.

That aside, there could be any number of reasons NX is launching when it's launching. This just so happens to be the single bit of information you have that may or may not be related to NX (Nintendo has tons of patents pending not related to NX after all), so you're making the assumption that things revolve around that one bit of info you have.

Also I don't recall any indication that NX was actually delayed.

Didnt president guy even said, that the will delay it to Q1 17 due to "software" being ready?

And Im not saying that the single point why or why not it has been delayed...

Rösti;211698051 said:

It used to be the case (~30 years ago) that the USPTO can require a prototype to be sent into the office. In fact there are several warehouses full of old patent prototypes. This is still technically possible today, but it's something that is never done, and if an Examiner were to request a prototype they would likely be laughed at and told by their supervisor to drop the request. As in, the law/statute still requires a prototype to be available but it's well understood that this is no longer the case practically.

As far as how this ties into the new NX rumor (hell, let's call it leak) I'm wondering if the NX handheld units can cooperate when brought together near one single dock to utilize local cloud functions. Even though Eurogamer called the handheld portion the "brains" of the NX, it would be interesting if the handhelds can come together to act as SCDs for another handheld or dock.

ArmageddB

Rösti;209926740 said:
Users may share processing resources. Doing so can compensate a user in form of access to other supplemental computing devices maintained by other users, discounts on games, access to certain game content, points for redemption for digital or physical goods, social network badges, any form of value really.

This one is really intriguing. Do you share processing resources between households? Across the country? Or just locally within the same home network?

Do the shared processing resources add to gameplay? How to they get over latency issues?

Or is it just like bitcoin where the encryption on the Nintendo network is handled by crowd computing?

Really wondering how significant the performance increase is going to be. This could potentially make me more hyped about NX again.

LordRaptor

This one is really intriguing. Do you share processing resources between households? Across the country? Or just locally within the same home network?

Do the shared processing resources add to gameplay? How to they get over latency issues?

Or is it just like bitcoin where the encryption on the Nintendo network is handled by crowd computing?

My supposition based on whats been revealed is that the 'dock' will work as a wifi hotspot, and if you allow it to share your internet connection with others you'd be rewarded with things like VC games.

The benefit would be in urban areas, a handheld device could potentially latch onto wifi hotspots and get the benefits of an 'always online' connection, but without having to have anything like a 4G connection or dedicated device data plan, as its all piggy backing other peoples existing wifi.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Watch the NX not even use an SCD. Makes too much sense from a conceptualization standpoint. They could effectively continue to put out new systems with better hardware for docks and the handheld until they decide to do a new gimmick. It really would be amazing and a new way to conveniently utilize strengths from both their markets. That's why I don't believe it lol

TH-Work

Banned
What's the difference between the Nintendo SCD's and the AMD XConnect™ Technology?

Edit: And how is Nintendo able to patent this kind of technology when there is already something like the AMD XConnect™ Technology?

What's the difference between the Nintendo SCD's and the AMD XConnect™ Technology?

Edit: And how is Nintendo able to patent this kind of technology when there is already something like the AMD XConnect™ Technology?

due to the fact that they used the words "Game Console" instead of "computer".

Watch the NX not even use an SCD. Makes too much sense from a conceptualization standpoint. They could effectively continue to put out new systems with better hardware for docks and the handheld until they decide to do a new gimmick. It really would be amazing and a new way to conveniently utilize strengths from both their markets. That's why I don't believe it lol
On one hand, I understand where you're coming from. Nintendo gonna Nintendo. On the other hand, Nintendo is absolutely desperate for the NX to be a hit and they'll likely want/need for it to be "future-proof."

With the Wii U, they were coming off one of the most successful home consoles of all-time. They banked on the Wii U selling because of the Wii brand alone, regardless of how the masses would accept the quirky concept. With the NX, Nintendo is coming off their least successful home console of all-time. They know they have to be more careful with the concept. The concept has to be something Nintendo can be 95% sure will be a hit, and although the hybrid idea is very good for the basic idea of the system, there will have to be an ace in the hole that takes the hybrid concept and pushes it over the top and this SCD thing could be it.

I'm not gonna get my hopes up, but when Nintendo has their backs against the wall they can come up with some brilliant stuff.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
On one hand, I understand where you're coming from. Nintendo gonna Nintendo. On the other hand, Nintendo is absolutely desperate for the NX to be a hit and they'll likely want/need for it to be "future-proof."

They could do nothing with SCDs at launch, but leave open the possible of using them in the future to upgrade the system.

Maybe the current dock does nothing but allow over locking due to being on power rather than battery and providing active cooling. But future docks could be SCDs that provide another GPU, more RAM etc.

Probably nothing at launch. But maybe put out an SCD 2-3 years down the road to provide a boost. It could be their way of doing iterative upgrades vs. Sony/MS requiring replacing whole consoles.

Nintendo could do something like:

Put out NX with dock.

2-3 years later put out SCD to boost performance for those who want it.

2-3 years put out NX successor (new tablet piece)--works alone at a bit above first gen with SCD, good bit above if paired with that old SCD

2-3 years latter put out new SCD to boost further.

Then just repeat that pattern of alternating SCD and tablet/core upgrades every few years.

Who knows what will happen, but that make as more sense to me that the unwieldy solution of people having multiple SCDs hooked up at once. The patent may just be showing that tech is possible.

2-3 years to release an SCD that matches something close to ps4 neo specs is too late. The NX will be a full generation behind by then when Sony and Microsoft release their next console.

Imo what Nintendo should do is release the NX close to xb1 to ps4 specs with a $250 price tag for the handheld variant and come out with an scd within a year or at launch as a stand alone to match close to os4 neo specs.

AzaK

Yeah the SCD is a bit "too good to be true" but man would it be nice. Hand held gamers buy just the handheld with passive dock. Console gamers get an SCD + handheld.

BD1

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo will talk about a future SCD Dock during the NX reveal, assuming the release dock is just a dumb terminal.

It's been several generations, but Nintendo promoted the 64DD and Expansion Pak early in the systems life.

To me, promoting that NX has "low cost upgrading" could be a big selling point.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
2-3 years to release an SCD that matches something close to ps4 neo specs is too late. The NX will be a full generation behind by then when Sony and Microsoft release their next console.

Imo what Nintendo should do is release the NX close to xb1 to ps4 specs with a $250 price tag for the handheld variant and come out with an scd within a year or at launch as a stand alone to match close to os4 neo specs.

That's just the same old "Nintendo needs to chase Sony/MS gamers" opinion though.

They're never going back after that crowd. They want to stay in the hardware business though, and that will involve regular upgrades. They need to find a way to keep costs down and still offer regular updates to their base (not the PS4/360 crowd, the 25 and under portion that mostly never had a Nintendo console). Using SCDs could be a way to make upgrades every few years cheaper vs. having to replace everything with a totally new system. That was my point. Not to use SCDs to get back in the rat race with Sony and MS.

The idea of a dock powering up a handheld is pretty cool.
Releasing a new dock to power up a system sure is cheaper than releasing a new system

Top Bottom