• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No game is safe from a Monster Energy lawsuit at this point

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
To a degree. It's valid to go after another drink trying to use the word "monster" to protect you drink brand TM.
No one would have been confused by a video game titled "Dark Deception: Monsters & Mortals" or even consider it to have anything to do with Monster Energy.
You're entirely missing the point. The case is not at all because Monster thinks this is relevant to their brand, it's because going after small companies means they are more likely to settle, and a trail of people settling these lawsuits is a way for them to establish a record of defending their IP.

If they don't do this, their IP could be considered invalid on the grounds that they have failed to defend it.

So there's incentive for them to just bully small companies that can't defend themselves and there's really no incentive for them not to other than, I suppose, bas publicity. It's really a dumb system but that is the way trademark law works in this country.

GymWolf

VSx.gif

CamHostage

You're entirely missing the point. The case is not at all because Monster thinks this is relevant to their brand, it's because going after small companies means they are more likely to settle, and a trail of people settling these lawsuits is a way for them to establish a record of defending their IP.

Before there was Monster Energy, there was Monster Cable, which did the same trademark trolling. They got VI l caught up though when somehow they tangled with Disney over Monsters Inc.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB123869022704882969

Last edited:

badblue

The case is not at all because Monster thinks this is relevant to their brand, it's because going after small companies means they are more likely to settle, and a trail of people settling these lawsuits is a way for them to establish a record of defending their IP.

Monster Energy is going after Monster Hunter and Pokemon over the use of the word "monster". Those are not small companies.

nikos

Going after an indie dev, as Monster, is pretty pathetic.

Haven't had one in a few months as there are better options for energy drinks anyway.

Last edited:

Krathoon

You can't sue a word that is part of language. They don't own the word Monster.

The only way they could sue them is if a can of Monster Energy Drink was a monster in the game.

Knightime_X

Wasn't MONSTER RANCHER a thing lobg before the energy drink?
Maybe they should cool their jets and know their roll.

EDIT: Meant m rancher, hunter.

Last edited:

K' Dash

They have big cojones if they’re trying to go after Nintendo and The Pokémon Company, I’ll give them that.

Best thing that could happen to the rest of the people being affected by this is this idiots going after the owners of the biggest, most profitable IP in the world.

I’ve never had a single energy drink in my life, but I’ve always associated monster energy drink with NASCAR hat type people, am I correct?

If they don't do this, their IP could be considered invalid on the grounds that they have failed to defend it.

So there's incentive for them to just bully small companies that can't defend themselves and there's really no incentive for them not to other than, I suppose, bas publicity. It's really a dumb system but that is the way trademark law works in this country.
This sounds like jewish monster lawyer logic. I'll have none of it, on this holiday! Begone

I do have a guilty pleasure of monster ultra drinks though. It can be an evil addiction.. I wonder what chemicals they use instead of sugar

MrA

Banned
Doesn't Monster have a higher market share than Red Bull?
In the US, world wide red bull is no.1 at like 8 billion in sales, some china only drink number 2 with 6 billion and then monster with 4 billion....
boy that's a lot of bull ball squeezin's

Mr Hyde

Energy drinks are disgusting as is these lawsuits trying to copyright words. Hopefully Nintendo puts them in their place if they decide to take action. Or better yet, make Monster go out of business.

DaGwaphics

Weird, for such a general word, you'd think that any trademarks that Monster owns would be contextual.

Sega coming for Hyundai Motor Company next: Sega says the word Genesis is ours bitches.

MegaBustet

I hope the indie company counter sues them for their time and money. That's so shitty to deal with. Whoever is on the monster energy drink legal team are a bunch of total assholes.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Before there was Monster Energy, there was Monster Cable, which did the same trademark trolling. They got VI l caught up though when somehow they tangled with Disney over Monsters Inc.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB123869022704882969
I don't care how much of a bad muthafucka you think you are as a lawyer, going up against Disney is surely suicide with such a frivolous lawsuit. They probably have more lawyers than some countries have soldiers.

Top Bottom