• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein

This dude is a scumbag and deserves to be in jail. Sadly nothing will likely come of this and he’ll at most get a slap on the wrist.

Welp, put a fork in ol' Harvey, he's done.
No it doesn’t, Polanski is still treated like a god and gets roaring standing ovations. Nothing will likely happen.

This dude is a scumbag and deserves to be in jail. Sadly nothing will likely come of this and he’ll at most get a slap on the wrist.

No it doesn’t, Polanski is still treated like a god and gets roaring standing ovations. Nothing will likely happen.
Not that I disagree with your general point, but I was under the impression that Polanski can't visit America anymore because he's worried he'll be arrested at the airport.

entremet

Not that I disagree with your general point, but I was under the impression that Polanski can't visit America anymore because he's worried he'll be arrested at the airport.

He's saying that Weinstein will still be embraced by the Hollywood elite instead of shunned like a Mel Gibson. Although even Mel is getting some work again.

Ridley327

It's rather notable that Weinstein was one of Polanski's most vocal supporters

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...erved-his-time-and-must-be-freed-1794699.html

He had a financial interest in keeping Polanski's name in good graces, as The Weinstein Company picked up the theatrical rights to Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, the big documentary about the rape case that tried to paint the trial up as a complete farce. The LA county DA at the time even went as far as to correct Harvey (and a lot of Polanski's supporters) on the matter as yes, Roman Polanski did in fact commit and admitted to committing a crime.

What does that have to do with anything? Because the government wants to jail a convicted child molester doesn’t mean he still doesn’t get work and overwhelming praise and adulation from Hollywood.

Not defending Weinstein whatsoever but aren't most prominent figures in hollywood players, thinking they have it all? Like it's basically a bubble of Mad Men in the 1950s-1960s where people sleep with everyone and it's not abnormal. At least that's how it's portrayed, celebrity culture. One of my favorite actors is Leo and I honestly won't be surprised if a story about him pops up in the future. He's with a new model every other week.

Ridley327

Not defending Weinstein whatsoever but aren't most prominent figures in hollywood players, thinking they have it all? Like it's basically a bubble of Mad Men in the 1950s-1960s where people sleep with everyone and it's not abnormal. At least that's how it's portrayed, celebrity culture. One of my favorite actors is Leo and I honestly won't be surprised if a story about him pops up in the future. He's with a new model every other week.

Leo is certainly the playboy type, but until something serious comes out that wades into darker waters, wanting temporary companionship is hardly a crime for an avowed bachelor. What Harvey has been doing here is far beyond the pale.

DiscoJer

There is a difference between being a "player" and using your position to give or deny jobs as a stick to coerce women into doing sexual things for you

That the whole casting couch thing is seemingly accepted (and has been for probably a 100 years) is really kinda insane. It's not unlike how prison rape is accepted (or even considered a gag). Yet both things are absolutely monstrous and should be stopped.

It feels like this is being overshadowed. Dude belongs in prison. You can't make 30 years of sexual abuse disappear by bringing up the NRA.

"Next steps will depend on Harvey's therapeutic process, the outcome of the board's independent investigation and Harvey's own personal decisions," the statement read.

Oh ya, people his age that have a lifelong pattern of this shit can just look in a mirror, take a deep breath and change their core personality. Totally.

berzeli

Banned
TV Reporter Says Harvey Weinstein Masturbated In Front Of Her
The incident took place a decade ago, according to Lauren Sivan, who at the time was a news anchor on a local cable channel in New York, Long Island 12. She says the experience left her shocked, and that while she told friends privately what happened, she remained quiet because she was in a long-term relationship and fearful of the power that Weinstein wielded in the media.

Sivan told HuffPost about the incident with Weinstein in an on-record interview. A list of detailed questions was emailed to a Weinstein Company publicist. While the publicist acknowledged receiving the questions, multiple attempts to get a response were unsuccessful. In a text message, Lisa Bloom, Weinstein’s attorney, said Weinstein was not available for an interview.
note: the following contains graphic language, which everyone should find distressing since one of the parties is Harvey Weinstein
Once they left, Sivan says Weinstein leaned in and tried to kiss her. Sivan rejected that attempt and told him she had a long-term boyfriend. Weinstein then said to Sivan, “Well, can you just stand there and shut up.”

At this point, Weinstein and Sivan were in a vestibule between the kitchen and bathrooms. The only way for Sivan to get away from Weinstein required her to get past him and go through the kitchen. Sivan says she was trapped by Weinstein’s body and was intimidated.

Weinstein then proceeded to expose himself to Sivan and began to masturbate. Sivan said she was deeply shocked by Weinstein’s behavior and was frozen and didn’t know what to do or say. The incident in the vestibule didn’t last long. Sivan says Weinstein ejaculated quickly into a potted plant that was in the vestibule and then proceeded to zip up his pants and they walked back into the kitchen.

Utterly revolting.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Gloria Allred called out her daughter, Lisa Bloom, for defending Weinstein. Everything about Bloom's various defenses of Weinstein and her involvement is super hypocritical.

Kim Masters was on KCRW (SoCal NPR affiliate) last night discussing the story.

Among the details, she notes she asked Weinstein about sexual harassment nearly 20 years ago in an off-the-record interview and says his response was "not a shocked denial."

Masters said she knows of at least one other instance of Bloom defending someone alleged to have sexual misconduct. Sounded like this wasn't public knowledge.

She also backed up the comments found in the Huffington Post article above that he would ensure staff cleared out in various situations. She noted that someone at Miramax had told her that actresses would demand other executives or representatives come along, they'd all be driving to a location and Weinstein would pull over and demand the others get out.

digdug2k

Cue Republicans trying to argue "See, its fine that our party is completely morally bankrupt, because your party is too."

RDreamer

Cue Republicans trying to argue "See, its fine that our party is completely morally bankrupt, because your party is too."

That's been this entire day. Spicer has been throwing a shit-fit on Twitter about it.

Why people have to play team sports with this shit is beyond me. All these sexual predators deserve to be thrown away, ostracized forever, and left with nothing.

watershed

Banned
You know this is all true because of how quickly he took a leave of absence and how half hearted all of his defenders are. Everyone in Hollywood knew this for decades but no one wanted to poke the lion. Good for the NYT for finally breaking the story.

lol yeah....except weinstein doesnt actually hold public office, and democrats have been quick to denounce these types of actions. Trump and the GOP on the other hand....

C4Lukins

And you know that the Oceans Eleven, the Tarantinos, and the rest of indie hollywood were aware of this, and silent about it.

But they are geniuses, so who gives a fuck?

C4Lukins

lol yeah....except weinstein doesnt actually hold public office, and democrats have been quick to denounce these types of actions. Trump and the GOP on the other hand....

It is horrific either way. It is not less horrible because someone else is also doing it.

It is not suddenly normal because whatever political party also engages in it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
And you know that the Oceans Eleven, the Tarantinos, and the rest of indie hollywood were aware of this, and silent about it.

If you want to throw anyone under the bus, throw Kevin Smith.

Dude paints himself as a nice guy, but he was a key guy in Miramax back in the day and even after splitting badly from them didn't say anything regarding this.

C4Lukins

Dude paints himself as a nice guy, but he was a key guy in Miramax back in the day and even after splitting badly from them didn't say anything regarding this.

It looks like you could put several people under the microscope. Robert Rodr....

Anyway, Hollywood has a problem. And it is bigger then fat ass molestor Weinstien.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

If the problem is widespread enough among the top guys at the major studios then doing anything could be a career ender. It's not an excuse, but not everyone would be willing to throw their career away like that. It'd be the sort of situation where unless everyone went down all at once your entire career would be dead, especially if none of the victims were willing to come forward.

I ain't forgiving anyone, just pointing out the logic on why they wouldn't come forward about it.

It is horrific either way. It is not less horrible because someone else is also doing it.

It is not suddenly normal because whatever political party also engages in it.
Well duh.

The point is not that what Weinstein did is OK because some Republicans are also bad, but that any Republicans using this to smear Dems while at the same time supporting people like, you know, the President, are full of shit. (cc: Sean Spicer, Don Jr., etc.)

And how many of these dudes were out there demanding that Republicans condemn the fact that Roger Ailes was doing debate prep with Trump after he was forced out of Fox for sexual harassment?

And tbh I haven't been looking very hard, but are there even many liberals defending Weinstein? Silence, yes. That's bad in its own way, but I don't know who is making excuses in the vein of "locker room talk" besides his lawyers.

Sexual harassment and assault are bad, period. If there's a group this reflects poorly on, it's Hollywood, not Democrats. People trying to turn it into some partisan thing are grasping wildly for some 'both sides' takes.

C4Lukins

Well duh.

The point is not that what Weinstein did is OK because some Republicans are also bad, but that any Republicans using this to smear Dems while at the same time supporting people like, you know, the President, are full of shit. (cc: Sean Spicer, Don Jr., etc.)

And how many of these dudes were out there demanding that Republicans condemn the fact that Roger Ailes was doing debate prep with Trump after he was forced out of Fox for sexual harassment?

And tbh I haven't been looking very hard, but are there even many liberals defending Weinstein? Silence, yes. That's bad in its own way, but I don't know who is making excuses in the vein of "locker room talk" besides his lawyers.

Sexual harassment and assault are bad, period. If there's a group this reflects poorly on, it's Hollywood, not Democrats. People trying to turn it into some partisan thing are grasping wildly for some 'both sides' takes.

You are taking my exact point, and repeating it. Only you are doing it in such a way as if I am defending Republicans who do the same thing which I am not.

It is always gross and disgusting, and all should be held accountable.

Pointing out hypocrisy with those who are supporting Democrats is not a defense of those that do do the same for Republicans. It is an overall condemnation.

It is bad no matter what your political affiliation is.

cameron

jPOHy02.png

https://twitter.com/LisaBloom/status/916710877809737728

NYT: Lisa Bloom, Lawyer Advising Harvey Weinstein, Says She Has Resigned
The lawyer Lisa Bloom said on Saturday that she had resigned as an adviser to Harvey Weinstein, the high-powered film producer facing allegations of rampant sexual harassment.

Her announcement came a day after a third of the all-male board of the Weinstein Company resigned, as the remaining board members announced that they had hired an outside law firm to investigate the allegations and that Mr. Weinstein would take an indefinite leave of absence.

“I have resigned as an advisor to Harvey Weinstein,” Ms. Bloom said on Twitter. “My understanding is that Mr. Weinstein and his board are moving toward an agreement.”

Ms. Bloom did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Lanny Davis, another adviser to Mr. Weinstein, is no longer representing him, according to someone familiar with the matter. He declined to comment or elaborate on the reason for his departure. But the two men had disagreed over how to handle the sexual harassment allegations, with Mr. Davis advising a more conciliatory tone and approach than Mr. Weinstein seemed willing to adopt.

DeathyBoy

Banned
If the problem is widespread enough among the top guys at the major studios then doing anything could be a career ender. It's not an excuse, but not everyone would be willing to throw their career away like that. It'd be the sort of situation where unless everyone went down all at once your entire career would be dead, especially if none of the victims were willing to come forward.

I ain't forgiving anyone, just pointing out the logic on why they wouldn't come forward about it.

Oh there's logic for not doing it, but I couldn't live with myself if I knew that shit and played silent bob over it.

This is bullshit. Some of them probably knew something, heck some of them are probably scumbags, but you paint with a pretty big brush. It's pointless to throw every single star/director/producer under the bus since you'd be accusing half the industry.

Top Bottom