• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT - Cakeage, or How Restaurants Really Feel About Cake Brought In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
Snobs. Some restauranteurs are not good at business, so they decide they want complete control. Laughing at people's cakes? I hope they do it publicly. Make people decide to stay home.

Restaurants close, a lot. It's very volatile. With a pick up in the economy, I'm sure we'll have douchey restaurant behavior. Usually they become assholes when the economy is good and desperate when the economy is bad.
Neogaf is full of snobs

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1039363

Tobor

Wait, your job is to cut and serve. But how do you know what it tastes like? You sound salty people aren't choosing your hand crafted artisanal creations.

Do y'all drink bottles of wine people bring in?

Somebody has to lick the knife after cutting it. Everybody knows that.

Why? Is that weird to bring cake in? You guys generally assume all restaurants have birthday cake for sale on the moment notice?
If you go with a group, you make reservations. That's not a moments notice.

I've never taken a birthday cake to a restaurant. It's weird. Eat that stuff at home.

If the restaurant is OK with it, fine, but to me it's a very strange thing to even ask if I'm allowed outside food. I'm also not bringing my own drinks if I think their selection is not optimal.

When the reservations are made, the restaurant should offer bulk dessert from a bakery or bakeries that they approve. Then if the customer says no, then a fee can be warranted.

I feel like ultra high end restaurants would make more of an accommodation and get you a kickass cake that you request.
Maybe they can also offer pizzas from approved pizza places. Or pasta from that better Italian place around the corner. Or beer from some other bars that have a better selection.

Normally we don't have a desire for bad tasting cake in a restaurant.
Then you should probably go to a restaurant where you like every part of their menu instead of going to a place and asking their staff to spend their time bringing out food that didn't even come from their kitchen.

The only ways this seems appropriate is if the place you're at doesn't serve desert or if you're willing to pay some kind of fee.

I've never heard of anyone bringing in a cake, or their own food to eat, to a restaurant. Sounds a bit bizarre

You were never in China, Korea or Japan, right?

Dont really get the fuss. I mean if you, lets say, go to an italian restaurant with about 10 people, then eat some cake (that they usually dont offer), whats the problem. You are still paying for the normal food and drinks.

joe2187

Banned
Wait, your job is to cut and serve. But how do you know what it tastes like? You sound salty people aren't choosing your hand crafted artisanal creations.

Do y'all drink bottles of wine people bring in?

Do you know how many pieces one of those giant multi tiered cakes serve?. Alot.

Besides a majority of the cakes they bring in. They dont even take the leftovers home. They leave the rest with us. Most of the time we get to taste the cakes because most of it is leftover on the pipes and skewers holding it together or they ask us to cut 50 pieces and 4 or 5 guests already left and the last cut pieces are just sitting in the kitchen taking up space. So fuck it. Its free game.

okno

When I was manager of the last bar I worked at, I had someone scream at me so loud she was spitting in my face because we wouldn't allow them to cut a cake they had brought with them to their party they had reserved. The thing is, we told them in advance what the cake fee was, and they said they wouldn't bring a cake. They tried to sneak the cake in (kind of hard to miss a giant white box), and tried to secretly cut the cake without us noticing.

We finally agreed to let them eat the cake, but we wouldn't supply any plates or utensils. Everyone was so wasted that they just ate it with their hands. Surprisingly, no one smeared a single crumb in spite on our art work or furniture.

The whole cake thing is REALLY FUCKING annoying. Of course you have to pay a fee for bringing in your own dessert to a restaurant! Why is this ANY kind of surprise to anyone?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I've done this once, but in fairness to my party, it was a $200 cake from a friend's favorite bakery.

I don't think I'd ever bring in an Ice Cream Cake from Baskin Robbins, but in this particular instance the cake was better than the restaurant's offerings. I don't recall having to pay a fee, but would happily have done so considering we used the place's plates and utensils.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I have done that multiple times for birthday dinners. Restaurants don't typically offer birthday cakes(especially Chinese restaurants) so whatever.

Never even got a hint that the place was upset about it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom