• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OHTHANKGOD bless you internet for returning to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

... got back from my folk's place and my modem wouldn't come out of standby. Ran the network test, unplugged all the cables for 5 minutes, nothing worked. Called shaw's help desk and they had me check the lower channels of my digital cable and yep it's all fuzzy. Dude says because of the holiday the next service call would be freaking Wednesday in the afternoon, but my wife's gone and I'd be at work so I have to settle for Thursday night.

Good news is that after 6 hours or so I notice the modem is back so hopefully it's a connection problem that won't get worse before Thursday. It's been flaking in and out for the last hour but it's been on most of the time and I could deal with that.

Anyone else have their internet go down for a while and realize how freaking much they use it? Little things like not taping Arrested Development because I was just going to d/l it instead made me realize that I'd just lose it if I didn't have net access for 4 days. My baseball fantasy league is heating up and not getting all the trade offers would just kill me!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
well I have. You go through withdrawls at first. But then you actually do things! :lol

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Yeah, what Blackace said. I have access once a week thanks to my parents offering a family lunch every Sunday, and while it's great to be able to hop on here, order stuff, download some music, etc... I really don't miss having it available all the time. Makes me realize how much time I used to waste on the computer; I'm actually catching up on all sorts of things now, reading more books, and even exercising before work every day -- stuff I never did when the All Encompasing Life Sucker was sitting within arm's reach.

Memles

Sometimes, the network here on campus tends to go down...well, the internet aspect of it. And, it is absolutely terrifying. I don't know what to do with myself, seriously. It cuts off all television I planned to download, all conversations I would have had and more or less forces me into other entertainment options, such as "homework". *Shiver*

calder

If it means Hota will post more (and it drags him back down closer to the level of my lazy waste of a life) I'll gladly throw $20 into a Hook Hota the Hell Up W/ Netzero fund. ;)

Boogie

When I was in the DR for a month, I LOVED not going on the internet for a full 30 days. (Okay, I did spend some time online at internet cafes for practical purposes, but still)

Contrast that with when I'm at school, where I boil with rage if the internet goes down for even a half hour.

I loved not caring about the internet, if only for a month's time.

Ecrofirt

My friend has jackflash DSL, and his internet has been down for a fucking month.

He can't switch ISPs either, because they've got him locked in a 1 year contract that isn't up yet.

They've been to his house, and the tech said his modem was working fine, and that it must have been a problem on his PC. Funny thing is, though, the internet crapped out on all the PCs in his house at the same time. When the tech came back with his laptop to make sure the internet was working, he also brought his own modem, and plugged that in. Low and behold, with his own modem, the tech's laptop connected to the internet fine.

Needless to say, my friend is pissed.

kevm3

My internet goes down all the time, so I'm kind of used to it. It does make me angry though.

I also find that I am infinitely more productive when I don't have constant access to the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom