• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oil Rush quasi-|OT| Smoke on the Water

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
oilrush_200_headerh8jub.jpg

What is it?

It's a real-time naval strategy game about capturing oil rigs, defending them, pumping oil and building a fleet to crush your enemies.

How does it play?
You capture an oil rig.
You start building your fleet.
You build defenses
You guard your oil rig
You upgrade your fleet
You attack and win

How does it control?
You can't control every unit but you can direct a certain amount to a certain place on the map. You can upgrade your fleet, build defenses and units. You can attach a camera to every unit or use cinematic camera to fly over skirmishes and naval battles.

Platforms?
Linux, Mac, Windows, PS3 (soon?)

Multiplayer?
-Cross-platform
-15 maps for multiplayer battles, each with multiple winning strategies
-Multi-player over LAN and Internet

Key Features

High-end graphics powered by Unigine engine (DX9-11)
Multi-platform (buy once, play everywhere):
Dynamic gameplay - furious enemies, massive battles, rampant attacks!
Various environments
DRM free
Mod SDK available (haven't seen it yet)

Developer?
Unigine Corp. - you might now them as developers of Unigine engine and Unigine Heaven (DX11 benchmark).

Price?
Varies on you location. 10$ for CIS on Steam, probably 10-15$ for other countries and 20$ to buy from developers directly because their shop don't know how to offer different prices for different regions (lol). Check Steam.

Reviews?
trgamer - 8.6
Destructoid - 8.0
Game Guiders -4/5
OutofEight PC game reviews - 7/8
Cynical Brit - WTF is Oil Rush
Meristation - 8.0

System Requirements?
Processor: 2 GHz
Memory: 1Gb
Hard Disk Space: 3 Gb Free Space
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better, ATI Radeon HD2600 or better Video memory: 256 Mb
DirectX®: 9.0

Is there a demo?
They are working on it.

Why is it called quasi-|OT|?
Because there is not enough info on the game available (currently) and I didn't pimp it out with fancy pics. It might change in the future as I play the game and more information will be available.

PICS:

ss_13a6f7532b1d4d9a241ca41e95d71b48903cdefc.1920x1080.jpg

oilrush2012-01-2523-1wnjjl.png

oilrush2012-01-2523-0ctjam.png

oilrush2012-01-2523-0jekma.png

oilrush2012-01-2522-5fejh0.png

subversus

Wait... So if I buy it on steam, I can get it on ps3 later? 'Cause thats what you seem to be saying.

Or I'm dumb.

the problem is that we don't know if it comes to PS3 even though it's announced. I'll ask the developer.

This looks kind of neat. I'm not a bit RTS person but I could see having some fun with this. The HUD reminds me of Deus Ex: HR.

subversus

I'm digging it. I'm not a huge strategy fan but this game has something going. It's simple and addicting.

Wait... So if I buy it on steam, I can get it on ps3 later? 'Cause thats what you seem to be saying.

Or I'm dumb.

So by "cross-platform" they meant Steamplay (Mac/PC) on Steam and all three versions on Unigine store. It seems likely that you will have to buy PS3 version separately.

subversus

So there is a patch coming on the weekend, might help with instability some people (including me) experience.

Yeah, keen as mustard. You're on the money once again, Sub! I was trying to gauge what type of game it was way back in the early days...but seeing that it fits a nice little arcade-y niche...very good. Very good indeed. Great to also see James Allen give it the thumbs up. One of the last great bastions of fine PC gaming critique on the internet!

VALIS

It still doesn't launch for me from the Steam client (win 7/64), I have to go to 'Steam/steamapps/common/oil rush' and run launcher_x86.bat, which is a setup config. Unfortunately I have to do that every time to play.

Played the first 3 levels, s'alright. We'll see how the game opens up. Also, the game advertises Steam achievements but they aren't there. Forthcoming? The whole thing is a little bit janky.

subversus

It still doesn't launch for me from the Steam client (win 7/64), I have to go to 'Steam/steamapps/common/oil rush' and run launcher_x86.bat, which is a setup config. Unfortunately I have to do that every time to play.

Played the first 3 levels, s'alright. We'll see how the game opens up. Also, the game advertises Steam achievements but they aren't there. Forthcoming? The whole thing is a little bit janky.

You can make a shortcut to the desktop but yes, it's very strange that you have problems like that. I heard that the game was broken on Steam in the first day but they released the fix on Saturday.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Would this be a good starting place to getting into RTS games or are the dynamics completely different rather than just streamlined (or is it also not streamlined and I should find something else)? It's a genre I like in theory but never got the hang of outside isolated cases like Warhammer: Dark Omen. Maybe I should try those WH40k games...

subversus

Would this be a good starting place to getting into RTS games or are the dynamics completely different rather than just streamlined (or is it also not streamlined and I should find something else)? It's a genre I like in theory but never got the hang of outside isolated cases like Warhammer: Dark Omen. Maybe I should try those WH40k games...

I'm not a big fan of fast-paced strategy games (micromagement is too cumbersome when there is no time) but I like this game. The fact that you can't directly control units simplifies everything a bit but there is still a lot of strategy involved. I'm on the fourth mission and got my ass handled to me when I started running reckless as on previous tutorial missions.

VALIS

You can make a shortcut to the desktop but yes, it's very strange that you have problems like that. I heard that the game was broken on Steam in the first day but they released the fix on Saturday.

Probably a dual monitor problem. Frankly it's a pain in the ass for PC gaming.

My 1.1 update didn't download until last night for whatever reason, even though I have Steam open 24/7. Now I can launch from Steam, and achievements are there (but no icons for them). Game seems to run a little smoother, too. I'm liking it a lot more.

VALIS

The difficulty ramps up like a mother in chapter 2. I can not make any headway. Missions were 5-10 minute cakewalks, now they're hour long stalemates.

This was my last battle before I quit:

I'd have thought I'd eventually gain the upper hand since I had 3 oil fields to 1, but he kept sending wave after wave at me undaunted.

Game's pretty good, although you could play the whole thing from the mini-map, really. In fact, your eyes will probably spend 75% of their time there.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The difficulty ramps up like a mother in chapter 2. I can not make any headway. Missions were 5-10 minute cakewalks, now they're hour long stalemates.

This was my last battle before I quit:

I'd have thought I'd eventually gain the upper hand since I had 3 oil fields to 1, but he kept sending wave after wave at me undaunted.

Game's pretty good, although you could play the whole thing from the mini-map, really. In fact, your eyes will probably spend 75% of their time there.
Do you have the option to view the mini-map on a second monitor like SupCom?

Top Bottom