• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED lap-thing overload at CES - Samsung, HP join the fray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Meet the latest Surface wannabe Samsung Galaxy TabPro S and the Spectre X360 from HP. These are convertibles/hybrids; so far the only company that has announced a conventional laptop with an OLED display is Lenovo with the new Carbon series. It looks like Samsung, not LG, is producing these displays, so it will be interesting to see the differences with LG's panels once they launch.

NnM401V.jpg

AP
6th Gen. Intel Core M processor (Dual Core 2.2GHz)
Display
12” 2160x1440 Super AMOLED
Camera
5MP AF(Rear), 5MP (Front)
Video
MP4,3GP,WMV,ASF,AVI,MKV
Audio
MP3,AAC,WAV,WMA,AMR,FLAC
Connectivity
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac MIMO, Wi-Fi Direct, NFC, Bluetooth 4.1
GPS
GPS, GLONASS
Sensor
Accelerometer, Hall, Light
Memory
4GB(RAM), 128GB / 256GB SSD
Dimension / Weight
290.3x198.8x6.3mm, 693g(Wi-Fi), 696g(LTE)
Battery
5,200mAh (39.5W, 7.6V)

Kind of lame that Samsung couldn't produce a better official pic to show off the display, but whatever.

Per ArsTechnica.
Just as Lenovo announced on Sunday, HP has also revealed an OLED screen variant of the 13-inch Spectre x360. The 2560×1440 system will be available in spring, with no price information yet available. In addition to the typical OLED benefits of deeper blacks and wider color gamut, the OLED screen will also make the laptop slightly thinner and 50 grams lighter.

Vanilla Spectre X360 specs for reference:

Operating system
Windows 10 Home 64
Windows 10 Home 64
Windows 10 Pro 64
Processor and graphics
6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U Processor + Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 (For 4GB memory)
6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U Processor + Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 (For 8GB memory)
6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U Processor + Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 (For 8GB memory)
Display
13.3-inch diagonal Full HD WLED-backlit IPS Display (1920x1080) Touchscreen
13.3-inch diagonal QHD WLED-backlit IPS Display (2560x1440) Touchscreen
Memory
Onboard 4GB Memory
Onboard 8GB Memory
Hard drive
128GB Flash Solid State Drive
256GB Flash Solid State Drive
512GB Flash Solid State Drive

No pricing information for either of those.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Is the burn-in officially 'fixed' now?

Because these screens displaying a mostly static OS is going to be a real pain in the ass if it wasn't.

someone needs to partner with Wacom
I think they're more interested in their "Companion" line taking off. It's the reason MS had to drop them with the Surface Pro 3 since I believe Wacom didn't want them producing a bigger or equal tablet computer with Wacom tech that would eat into their own offerings in the Cintiq Companion line.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how are these likely to compare to the surface line? A lot of them are going for the core M CPUs - including the Lenovo Miix 700 (which has been announced for a while but I don't know if it is released yet)

I want one, but I don't know which I want. They'll all presumably perform similarly, and they all look a similar size, so its probably down to aesthetics, how good the keyboard/trackpad are, and whether they have active digitisers with stylus support. Lenovo looks good on that front - their keyboard looks great.

Do OLED screens still have that black blotch problem when the screen goes dark? My Vita has it bad. Past Samsung phones I had with AMOLED had this problem as well but only slightly.

pa22word

Do OLED screens still have that black blotch problem when the screen goes dark? My Vita has it bad. Past Samsung phones I had with AMOLED had this problem as well but only slightly.

My galaxy tab s2 has perfect blacks. I'm guessing this will be using the same tech.

thuway

The Galaxy Note 4 I saw the other day at Best Buy had some of the worst burn in I've ever seen. I have no idea how this is a good idea, unless the newly adopted LG anti-burn in panels are implemented.

Is the burn-in officially 'fixed' now?

Because these screens displaying a mostly static OS is going to be a real pain in the ass if it wasn't.

You can't "fix" uneven pixel wear on displays where the relative pixel aging rate depends on how long they are lit.

Even at the end of decades of plasma display panels, the plasma TV manufacturers never "fixed" burn-in.

Mendrox

You can't "fix" uneven pixel wear on displays where the relative pixel aging rate depends on how long they are lit.

Even at the end of decades of plasma display panels, the plasma TV manufacturers never "fixed" burn-in.

But the OLED problem has been fixed for a few weeks/months. Samsung uses more blue pixels(?) or something like that to counter the red/yellows longer lifespan with the blue.

No gaming Laptops so far besides the Razer Ultrabook.

Lenovo has shown off a new Thinkpad Yoga. Spec wise it doesn't look interesting.

Was really surprised to see a Samsung Laptop! I thought Samsung was done with laptops?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
No gaming Laptops so far besides the Razer Ultrabook.

Lenovo has shown off a new Thinkpad Yoga. Spec wise it doesn't look interesting.

Was really surprised to see a Samsung Laptop! I thought Samsung was done with laptops?
Only in Europe. Which is annoying, because the Series 9 is damn nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom