• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Razor Subscriptions.

JCK75

in 2011 I signed up for Dollar Shave Club, they expect you to use a blade and pretty much toss it..
I only shave once a week and for much of that time I've had a beard and only shave my neck and clean up the face so I don't do that.. I use it until it's dull..
I stuck with them for 2 years and built up such a stockpile of spare blades I cancelled in 2013

Last week I used my final blade almost 10 years after stopping the service..
I did not plan my next move..
what's a well priced razor service with a quality product?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Honestly I gave up the DSC and went back to just buying gillette proglide razors, and man did I forget how much better they were. One gillette razor last me a week shaving every day, so the cost isnt that bad when an 8 pack cost $30, which comes up to about $3.75 a week for me, would be far cheaper for you based on how often you shave.

I have no clue what makes their razors better, but its a very noticeable difference when going between brands. I wonder if gillette has some patent or something that makes the razors sharpers/nicer.

Also if you shave in the shower like I do, get a vertical razor holder, it will make sure the razor head drains of water and last longer. that alone helped substantially increase the life of my razors.

Last edited:

JCK75

Honestly I gave up the DSC and went back to just buying gillette proglide razors, and man did I forget how much better they were. One gillette razor last me a week shaving every day, so the cost isnt that bad when an 8 pack cost $30, which comes up to about $3.75 a week for me, would be far cheaper for you based on how often you shave.

I have no clue what makes their razors better, but its a very noticeable difference when going between brands. I wonder if gillette has some patent or something that makes the razors sharpers/nicer.

Also if you shave in the shower like I do, get a vertical razor holder, it will make sure the razor head drains of water and last longer. that alone helped substantially increase the life of my razors.

I don't shower shave because I have to be quite precise around the beard so need a mirror.

Sleepwalker

I have a barber's razor because thats what my dad used and taught me to use. It's awesome.

On the downside you could kill yourself accidentally so maybe not the greatest idea lol

I have a beard these days so mostly use it for styling and neck shaving.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
get a safety razor and buy a pack of double edge blades as you need them. they are dirt cheap. a x10 pack for £3.99 would last me almost 2 years cause i shave about every 3-4 weeks :messenger_tears_of_joy:. i hate being clean faced and let my beard grow until it gets too long and pisses me off.

assuming you use a side only once each week then that's a minimum of 20 weeks or about 5 months before you run out. use each edge until it's blunt and it'll last even longer. what's £4 every 5 or even 10 months? you could probably find cheaper blades than that as well.

I'm still stuck on Gillette Mach 3's.
They're perfection, as far as I'm concerned.
they are a rip off and shite as far as i'm concerned. fuck paying for new blades all the time they are extortionate!

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
fuck paying for new blades all the time they are extortionate!
"Extortionate" is a good word, as Gillette has been known to price gouge on its razor cartridges.

But, with a little care, you can use a Mach 3 cartridge for over 15 shaves before it loses some sharpness and you can easily squeeze a few shaves more before it starts to pull.
It has a comfortable, close shave in under 5 minutes of reckless abandon without any sign of irritation.

Also, Mach 3 cartridges don't seem to clog to any real degree. Especially if you rinse the cartridge often.

Last edited:

Catphish

I also shave just once a week, so I just stick with Gillette Mach 3 cartridges. They're expensive, yes, but one pack of five will literally last me a year, switching out approximately every 10 weeks.

zeorhymer

Real men use

58090_W3.jpg

BigBooper

Last edited:
Top Bottom