• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oppenheimer |OT| I am become Nolan, the destroyer of subwoofers

DKehoe

From what I could tell, there’s a brief shot of her being drowned by a black gloved hand, then it cuts away, then it cuts back to an alternate shot of her committing suicide.

I think it’s there to express the ambiguity of her death. There were unusual chemicals in her system in addition to barbiturates, and she was being illegally surveilled 24/7 by Hoover’s FBI. Given that she was a communist and Oppenheimer’s on and off lover, they may have considered her a national security risk and killed her. It’s possible. But she was also depressive and leaned on Oppenheimer when she was at her low points.

I expect that Oppenheimer was aware of both possibilities and probably saw her death as his fault either way.

Yeh I think that it’s not meant to be clear. Obviously she was someone who was struggling with depression at various points but with her political affiliations and links to Oppenheimer with all the surveillance that came with that there’s also the possibility that it wasn’t suicide. That we, and Oppenheimer are left to wonder and consider both possibilities without ever knowing the truth for certain.

One of the things I like about the film is the room it leaves for ambiguity. It doesn’t really tell you what to think about Oppenheimer himself, it gives you the wiggle room (a term he uses when talking to Tatlock) to come to your own conclusions. It’s also fitting for a film that involves quantum physics. Like with Oppenheimer explaining that light is simultaneously waves and particles, people can be two contradictory things at the same time.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’ve seen Oppenheimer, it’s different. It’s proved what many have known for a long time, of how powerful those nuclear bombs were.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Just back in from seeing it for the second time. This time we had much better seats. Still absolutely incredible and I think it might have cemented it as my favourite of Nolan’s.

Also, I went into it this time looking to see if Jean Tatlock was being drowned rather than committed suicide since I wasn’t sure first time round. There did look to be a black glove holding her under the water in one of the shots. What did you guys take away from that scene?

To be honest, I didn't even notice that part on my first viewing until someone else pointed it out. Given the need to balance historical accuracy with dramatic license, the way Nolan did it seems like a good call.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I saw Oppenheimer last night, and one of the main loudspeakers in the theatre was blown rekt.

747035.jpg

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I don't think I'll ever go to a standard showing for a movie again.
I feel I should disclose that I did go to a theater again today, but that's because Sound of Freedom tickets are available for free on their website. It was a good movie.
There were no phone users. The total audience size was seven. My friend gave me her candy after the film, because she was done with it. Nerds Gummy Clusters. I still have plenty left if you want some.

Movie was boring as hell, great acting and cinematography but it’s paced as a documentary but injects too much cinematic creative licence that it ends up being neither good movie or a decent documentary. The last 30 minutes was a real slog.

RDJ was great, he doesn’t need to act thanks to that fuck you marvel money, but he clearly wanted to play this part and delivered his best performance to date.

If you were to tell me a month ago that I would prefer Barbie I would have slapped you, but here we are.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Saw it, quite good, though my fears that they would hinge all the tension on A. Would it work, B.would it ignite the atmosphere, and C. Would it lead to global thermonuclear war, all things we know DIDNT happen (well, still time for C I suppose) were realized.

Not sure why Strauss was made to be a
secret master villain
and I thought the stakes of the "secret clearance hearings" were vague at best, diffusing the momentum after the trinity test.

Dat sound though, glad i saw it in IMAX because watching it at low volume with subtitles like I often have to at home is gonna suck the energy right out of the film.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Saw it, quite good, though my fears that they would hinge all the tension on A. Would it work, B.would it ignite the atmosphere, and C. Would it lead to global thermonuclear war, all things we know DIDNT happen (well, still time for C I suppose) were realized.

secret master villain
and I thought the stakes of the "secret clearance hearings" were vague at best, diffusing the momentum after the trinity test.
The Gray Board hearings ruined Oppenheimer's life, and Strauss's personal vendetta was a major impetus for it.

You can see how enormous the Wikipedia entry is for it. It was a big deal and reshaped US national security policy, broadly pushing scientists out of positions of influence:

It also shaped the emerging arms race with the Soviets, which almost ended the world on more than one occasion. Certainly a story worth telling.

jason10mm

Gold Member
No doubt, I just feel, within the context of the film, these stakes were not well established. Seems to me Oppenheimer could go walk into a prestigious faculty appointment if he lost a federal security clearance. Or a European one. And Strauss' "this cabinet appointment is the ponnacle of my career", really?

Anyway, a fine film, just, for me, not quite on the mark.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
No doubt, I just feel, within the context of the film, these stakes were not well established. Seems to me Oppenheimer could go walk into a prestigious faculty appointment if he lost a federal security clearance. Or a European one.
The world was a very different place in 1954. This was the height of the Red Scare, when people were being blacklisted. The US government effectively declared him disloyal and a security liability. He retained his position at Princeton but that was about all he had after that.

It's important -- not just on a personal level -- because he was one of the biggest voices pushing back against having a nuclear arms race with the Soviets. Once he was denounced as having ulterior motives, all the other voices in the scientific community were shut down too and the politicians went all-in on making world-ending bombs. And things got real grim after that (see the Cuban Missile Crisis in '62).

Additional historical context helps a lot. Strauss, as depicted in the round table scene, was pushing for the hydrogen bomb completely without restraint. The h-bomb tests became so massive that they were spreading radiation all over the world and eventually public outcry had to reel in the endless escalation of larger and larger tests. Strauss didn't care and wanted to keep going unimpeded.

The stakes were very high. Not all of it is fully established in the film but it's a historical biopic and reading up on the history helps contextualize it further.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, I know all that. But for a film made in 2023 the threat of communism, given what we know transpires with the Soviet Union, is another odd thing to hang the film on.

I would have liked more about how a viable plan was to nuke Moscow BEFORE they could field a nuke of their own, or how the Baruch plan was shot down by the Soviets. There are some legit "what if" things to explore. As it was, all that 50's stuff was scattered throughout the film given it's unconventional structure. Ambitious in concept, but I don't know that the film will merit much repeat viewing for me.

Doom85

Yeah, I know all that. But for a film made in 2023 the threat of communism, given what we know transpires with the Soviet Union, is another odd thing to hang the film on.

I would have liked more about how a viable plan was to nuke Moscow BEFORE they could field a nuke of their own, or how the Baruch plan was shot down by the Soviets. There are some legit "what if" things to explore. As it was, all that 50's stuff was scattered throughout the film given its unconventional structure. Ambitious in concept, but I don't know that the film will merit much repeat viewing for me.

Does any of that have to do with Oppenheimer though? The film is a character study of him, anything not directly related to him would be superfluous. Hell, it’s one of the reasons I think Nolan chose not to show the bombs going off in Japan or the aftermath as he wasn’t present and the film needed to be more focused on how his work and what it resulted in affected him psychologically.

Not to mention the focus on Strauss allows the final scene with Strauss being called out on his self-centered paranoia and ego to then connect back to Oppenheimer and Einstein’s conversation being revealed which I felt ended the movie perfectly.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Does any of that have to do with Oppenheimer though? The film is a character study of him, anything not directly related to him would be superfluous. Hell, it’s one of the reasons I think Nolan chose not to show the bombs going off in Japan or the aftermath as he wasn’t present and the film needed to be more focused on how his work and what it resulted in affected him psychologically.

Not to mention the focus on Strauss allows the final scene with Strauss being called out on his self-centered paranoia and ego to then connect back to Oppenheimer and Einstein’s conversation being revealed which I felt ended the movie perfectly.
Eh, maybe. Strauss' moves to destroy Oppenheimers reputation felt tacked on. I didn't get a good sense WITHIN the film, of his downfall and how society viewed him to make all that stuff more emotionally resonant. The drive to develop the bomb, the somewhat callous ignorance of what it would mean AFTER the war, which was effectively won at that point, all that stuff I think deserved the focus and the last act was a reach too far.

Tams

Movie was boring as hell, great acting and cinematography but it’s paced as a documentary but injects too much cinematic creative licence that it ends up being neither good movie or a decent documentary. The last 30 minutes was a real slog.

RDJ was great, he doesn’t need to act thanks to that fuck you marvel money, but he clearly wanted to play this part and delivered his best performance to date.

If you were to tell me a month ago that I would prefer Barbie I would have slapped you, but here we are.

You're entitled to your opinion, but if you find it boring then you must be simple-minded and entertained by just explosions, sex, and swearing. It went in wanting to not like it.

Yes, I'm going to choose to sit on my high horse for this one.

jason10mm

Gold Member
You're entitled to your opinion, but if you find it boring then you must be simple-minded and entertained by just explosions, sex, and swearing. It went in wanting to not like it.

But Oppenheimer HAS explosions, sex, and swearing.....

DKehoe

secret master villain

Dat sound though, glad i saw it in IMAX because watching it at low volume with subtitles like I often have to at home is gonna suck the energy right out of the film.
I wouldn't say the tension was built around those. The film doesn't make any secret of the fact that the bomb worked and didn't ignite the atmosphere. Before the detonation scene we see various other scenes which take place after the Trinity test and refer to the bomb now being a thing. So even if we didn't know the history it would be clear the test succeded and didn't destroy the world. For me, the tension comes from the two hearings and their outcomes. Those are the focal points the other stuff is feeding into.

With the global thermonuclear war stuff, yeh clearly that hasn't broken out since that point. But for me the film seems to be making the point that this was a turning point for humanity. Science was used to develop an existential threat and rather than that causing us to pull back on weapons development and have it be a deterrent for future war, as Oppenheimer had hoped, we charged right ahead and kept creating deadlier and deadlier weapons of mass destruction. That escalation could doom us at some point because we already know pulling the trigger isn't out of the question. If that destruction does come then even if it's not from a nuclear device, it could still be a result of that school of thought.

Kitty talks about how a failed appeal for the security clearance would wreck Oppenheimer's credibility and potentially ruin his career. So I thought the stakes for the hearing were fairly clear. He was a guy struggling to hold onto some form of control, or at least have a say in the use, of the thing he created and was being pushed aside by a system that no longer had any use for him and found him inconvenient.

Eh, maybe. Strauss' moves to destroy Oppenheimers reputation felt tacked on. I didn't get a good sense WITHIN the film, of his downfall and how society viewed him to make all that stuff more emotionally resonant. The drive to develop the bomb, the somewhat callous ignorance of what it would mean AFTER the war, which was effectively won at that point, all that stuff I think deserved the focus and the last act was a reach too far.
If you're going to show the rise then they should also show the fall. And that was the hearing organised by Strauss. Strauss then having a hearing of his own puts the two in contrast with each other and gives you the framing device for the story. There's a similar character dynamic to Amadeus' Mozart and Salieri with Oppenheimer as the generational genius and Strauss the guy who has dragged himself into the position he has through sheer force of will and has held onto the various slights he's had thrown at him over the years.

I felt like we got a good sense of the downfall in the hearing itself. It's in a small, previously disused room, showing the lack of respect he now has. His friends and former colleagues are brought in to testify against him and even decent figures in his life, guys like Groves, are put in a position where they have to take the side of those opposing Oppenheimer. He's also forced to detail his affairs on the record in front of his wife. The whole thing is an incredibly isolating, humiliating experience. Sections like the part where he's sitting there naked and the overexposed section where everything is overly bright show what a vulnerable, uncomfortable situation it was to be in. It also seemed to me that Oppenheimer's lack of resistance, something Kitty points out, is this sort of act of penance on Oppenheimer's part. It's his impulse to punish himself for the thing he's done. If Oppenheimer is the American Prometheus of the book's title, having brought the fire of nuclear power to mankind, then he's chaining himself to the rock for Strauss and his people to eat his liver.

if you're interested, the other day I was listening to a discussion of the film on this podcast that I found really interesting.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

The point of the atmosphere igniting question wasn’t to create tension around that question when the bomb finally went off. The point was to ask the question again at the conclusion of whether or not it, in effect, actually did, and showing Oppenheimer haunted by that question of if we’ve been in the midst of a slow-moving chain reaction that will engulf the world since the dawn of the atomic age. It was thematically on point and not any kind of red herring.

I don’t know much about Strauss or how accurate any of the security clearance stuff was, but it made for good drama

This had more explosions sex and swearing than Barbie tho, and that’s not a horse, it’s a donkey.

Hugare

Finally saw it.

It was hard to find tickets. Like, "Endgame" hard.

Dont remember seeing something like this for any other movie in quite a while

It was really great. Much better paced than I expected.

Also loved the soundtrack. Not at all what I was expecting. Had a very distinctive vibe.

Thought the pacing of the 3rd act was kinda weak. Felt the long duration of the movie when the politics kicked in.

Cillian definitely deserves an Oscar nomination for it

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The audiences for both films were very liberal with their phone use. I think phone addicts have ruined theaters. I'll still see screenings that have something special to them (real IMAX, HFR, or a Cinerama screening if I'm ever able to actually see one), but I don't think I'll ever go to a standard showing for a movie again. At home I know there won't be any distractions.

This is why I haven't seen any movies this summer, audiences don't know how to behave*. There's like 4 films I'd go see right now, but I'd rather wait until I know I'm going to get a good experience. Shame, I used to love going to the movies.

*Or rather it's a crapshoot on if you're going to get a decent audience.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Saw it yesterday. Very powerful movie. Cillian Murphy was amazing, though Emily Blunt gets the best scene in the movie. Matt Damon and Robert Downey Junior was great too.

Hell of a movie. Not used to seeing this sort of movie get a budget.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Got to see it in 70mm IMAX yesterday in London. Stunning all around, some of the booms really made us jump. Kinda feels like two movies layered on top of each other, but in a much more understandable way than the Nolan typical ones.

I am bummed because

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What's "first dollar gross"? Is he taking home 20% of 900 mill???? Or is that some fraction of a portion of the revenue cycle?

First dollar gross is gross ticket sales from day 1, so yes, looks that way:

Hollywood Reporter confirmed the 20% first dollar gross figure:

Edit: as far as I can tell, yes, that's a full $180 million payday for Nolan.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Found this cool pic of the IMAX 70mm print being run through the projector, Oppie was my first experience with the format & it made my fucking jaw drop when the opening shot just filled the screen. Ended up watching it twice, absolute masterpiece. I hope it gets a re-release during the awards campaign cause I would watch it again in the same format in a heartbeat, looks like it's gonna finish at $950M which is insane & might even hit $1B if that re-release does happen.

bannerBackgroundImage_7sj8wc0d1klb1.jpeg

3liteDragon

Was wondering when this is coming to VOD

I've been waiting to watch this movie
“Oppenheimer” is also continuing to play exclusively in theaters into the fall, in a time when even the biggest movies are often released in homes after just 45 days. Though its opening weekend companion, “Barbie,” is newly on video-on-demand, “Oppenheimer” won’t be available to watch at home until late November, Thomas said.

Last edited:
honest question: why? going to cinema is still great experience imo

Why I hate watching movies in the theaters

Getting tickets early

Having to waste gas and money

Concessions prices

Crowd (I remember watching The Dark Knight when it first came out and it wasn't opening night since I was forced to go this wedding on the day that movie premiered. When I finally watched it, this guy behind me was on his phone and talking so loud and was doing even loudly. I had to tell the guy multiple times to shut up, he kept on doing this. Not to mention other times. Worst theater experience I had)

And to add to the Crowd part, I've been getting more and more bad experience whenever I go to the theater. So no thanks. I don’t want to deal with that crap

I can't pause the movie to go to the bathroom, or make myself lunch or dinner and come back

Not to mention the movie projector going out and missing the movie because of that malfunction

Not a social person, would rather theaters go out of business, so that movie companies can just release them on Steaming/VOD (I'm extremely petty and selfish I know)

On top of how much Agenda Pushing movies are nowadays. Yeah no thanks.

Ever since I stopped going, I've enjoyed just renting the movies I really want to see way more when they come out on VOD. I tend to pirate everything else

Tams

Why I hate watching movies in the theaters

Getting tickets early

Having to waste gas and money

Concessions prices

Crowd (I remember watching The Dark Knight when it first came out and it wasn't opening night since I was forced to go this wedding on the day that movie premiered. When I finally watched it, this guy behind me was on his phone and talking so loud and was doing even loudly. I had to tell the guy multiple times to shut up, he kept on doing this. Not to mention other times. Worst theater experience I had)

And to add to the Crowd part, I've been getting more and more bad experience whenever I go to the theater. So no thanks. I don’t want to deal with that crap

I can't pause the movie to go to the bathroom, or make myself lunch or dinner and come back

Not to mention the movie projector going out and missing the movie because of that malfunction

Not a social person, would rather theaters go out of business, so that movie companies can just release them on Steaming/VOD (I'm extremely petty and selfish I know)

On top of how much Agenda Pushing movies are nowadays. Yeah no thanks.

Ever since I stopped going, I've enjoyed just renting the movies I really want to see way more when they come out on VOD. I tend to pirate everything else

Bruh, unless you're trying for IMAX (which is worth the hassle), it ain't going to be like that.

This film is worth seeing in a cinema.

Bruh, unless you're trying for IMAX (which is worth the hassle), it ain't going to be like that.

This film is worth seeing in a cinema.

Not being a social person and just not wanting to go to the theater is the biggest thing. I HATE going to the theater anyways, so no I'll wait lol

And I have a good home theater set up too

Last edited:

Quasicat

This thread popping up reminds me that I really wanted to see this, but forgot all about it. I just ordered it for pickup at Wal-Mart, and once I get the kids to bed, I’m excited to give this a look!

Top Bottom