• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ozone layer shows signs of recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The reason you don't hear about this is because they already fixed it. They banned all the shit that caused ozone depletion years ago, it just takes more than a decade to come back.

wigwag85

Banned
I guess I'll be the first to admit that I thought global warming and the depleting ozone layer were the same issue.

Just remember

Carbon dioxide and methane --> climate change

CFCs or chlorofluorocarbons --> ozone layer

Sulfates from coal and diesel fuel --> acid rain

Madness

I guess I'll be the first to admit that I thought global warming and the depleting ozone layer were the same issue.

It's not your fault. Environmental issues are rarely focused on or taught to people. People just don't really know how many acres of forests or jungles are razed every year for construction or agriculture/growing cattle for beef, the buildup of trash in the Pacific Ocean that is poisoning fish, marine wildlife, etc. Look how many don't even realize just how much damage the BP oil spill actually did.

The reason you don't hear about this is because they already fixed it. They banned all the shit that caused ozone depletion years ago, it just takes more than a decade to come back.

There are still many places around the world where CFC's and other ozone depleting substances are still in use, especially in developing countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America. More can easily be done, it's just not on the forefront anymore.

Nope, the opposite, more or less.

Ozone depletion is (was) caused by nasty aerosols, which actually increase surface albedo (reflectivity), which slightly decreases warming. (e.g. why it's not as hot when it's cloudy outside.)

CO2 (and to a less extent methane, which degrades into CO2) drive warming, because of the greenhouse effect.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Nice. I can finally stop being all Green and stuff. I'm gonna turn off auto-sleep for all of my electronics now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom