• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

P.T. clones - winners or stinkers?

What do you think of them?

• They're good! I poop my pants.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • They stink! Not scary at all.

Votes: 27 87.1%

• Total voters

Drizzlehell

Banned
I guess this will be an entirely subjective thing because it may depend on several factors. Most important of which are: do you ever get tired of games like that, and which one was your first?

The former is simple enough - you'll either like walking simulators or you don't care about them. But the latter is a bit more interesting because if you like those kinds of horror games, then chances are that you'll have the freshest experience with the first one that you've ever played, and then get progressively more bored or annoyed with how most of them are basically the same game that relies on the same tired cliches and jump scares. It's a simple and effective formula, but I feel like it does get old pretty fast.

My first P.T. clones were Layers of Fear and Visage. I loved Layers of Fear and it's still one of my all-time favourite horror games thanks to the unique aesthetic that wasn't just another suburban house, plus the branching paths added to the replayability, and it had an intriguing storyline. Visage was also pretty cool, as it's probably the closest that you can get to a fully realised P.T. game, and it's absolutely nerve-wracking at times. It does a great job at building tension and not showing you too much, only letting your imagination do most of the work.

But after I played those two, I was kinda done. I look at all those other games such as Madison, Home Sweet Home, The Beast Inside, and so on, and all I see is endless trash. Same kind of visuals, similar jump scares and generic ghosts and ghouls that you have to hide or run away from. Nothing original about any of those games whatsoever. I had some hope for The Mortuary Assistant because the premise sounded pretty unique for this type of game, but it turned out to be extremely repetitive and tedious. All of its horror heavily relies on jump scares and silly monster faces peeking from around corners every 5 seconds. It gets old very fast and it's also annoying as fuck.

Again, though, I assume that my experience with those types of games will be wildly different from others', and maybe some of you liked the games that I hated, and hated the ones that I loved.

Quezacolt

Only horror game i can enjoy where we can't defend ourselves is the little nightmares. It makes sense there.

With P.T clones, i keep wondering why the main charactar can't just grab something, anything at all to try to defend him/herself.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Only horror game i can enjoy where we can't defend ourselves is the little nightmares. It makes sense there.

With P.T clones, i keep wondering why the main charactar can't just grab something, anything at all to try to defend him/herself.
Well, if you think that a 2x4 would actually work against a supernatural being or a ghost then I guess you wouldn't survive too long in that situation, lol.

Quezacolt

Well, if you think that a 2x4 would actually work against a supernatural being or a ghost then I guess you wouldn't survive too long in that situation, lol.
Not talking about supernatural beings. But, take a game like outlast for example

Why can't the main character drop the stupid camera for a second and grab, idk, a chairf, and try to defend himself?

fart town usa

Gold Member
MADiSON VR releases this month, that's gonna be scarier than PT I'd imagine.

VR horror in general has trumped PT in terms of scare factor but that's only because PT was killed in the crib. It's a shame, that demo was absolutely brilliant and was so exciting to see play out.

Barakov

They have been a couple of good ones but for every good one there has been several stinkers. And all the stinkers seem kinda the same.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Not talking about supernatural beings. But, take a game like outlast for example

Why can't the main character drop the stupid camera for a second and grab, idk, a chairf, and try to defend himself?
Yeah, I guess. He might be a giant pussy, though. He is a journalist after all, probably a gaming journalist too.

Also, this premise actually works better in the sequel because you're usually chased around by groups of armed hillbillies or things that are way more powerful than the main character.

drotahorror

I liked Layers of Fear (original one) pretty well. I have Visage on my list to play but never got around to it. Tried Home Sweet Home when it first came out and didn't care much for it. I also 'beat' Mortuary Assistant, not a good game at all though. Might give Visage a shot this month. I think most of them look horrible though. I am a bit excited for Paranormal Tales, mainly because of the graphics.

radewagon

Resident Evil VII is the best PT clone. Or, more correctly, REVII's prologue is a master class in aping what it is that made PT so effective. Everything following that prologue is genius as well, in the way that it slowly starts integrating more of that Resident Evil DNA so that by the time you get to the end, the PT influence is almost completely stripped away and all you are left with is a new blueprint for first-person horror that is easily recognizable as being Resident Evil.

Seriously, Capcom killed it by taking advantage of Konami dropping the ball on what could have been an impossible to beat title.

Beechos

They all stink. Visage was probably the closest graphically but gone home or whatever it's called would prob be the best and it's not even a horror game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I thought Visage sucked a lot. Devotion was miles better.

It’s either a predictable paranormal activity knock off or a psychological horror game set in the 1980’s with a Taiwanese family. Devotion has a similar feeling of PT where you do loops through their apartment building during different years of their lives. Visage was really boring after leaving the house. I never went back to that game. You’ll have to buy Devotion from the developer’s website. Hands down one of the best PT inspired horror games. Nothing comes close.

Last edited:
Resident Evil VII is the best PT clone. Or, more correctly, REVII's prologue is a master class in aping what it is that made PT so effective. Everything following that prologue is genius as well, in the way that it slowly starts integrating more of that Resident Evil DNA so that by the time you get to the end, the PT influence is almost completely stripped away and all you are left with is a new blueprint for first-person horror that is easily recognizable as being Resident Evil.

Seriously, Capcom killed it by taking advantage of Konami dropping the ball on what could have been an impossible to beat title.

That game was amazing, i thought RE was in the perfect direction...Then they made Village, oh god...

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I liked Layers of Fear (original one) pretty well. I have Visage on my list to play but never got around to it. Tried Home Sweet Home when it first came out and didn't care much for it. I also 'beat' Mortuary Assistant, not a good game at all though. Might give Visage a shot this month. I think most of them look horrible though. I am a bit excited for Paranormal Tales, mainly because of the graphics.

Didn't see this one before. The graphics indeed look awesome but the scares look so generic that I want to slap whoever is making this game and tell him to do better instead of wasting all those visuals on such predictable, boring crap, lol.

ElCasual

Visage is OK the chapter of the hospital is boring and nonsense but the others two chapters aré good. I play Layers of Fear (the original) and fall asleep. The Blair Witch was ok but quit the game because Horizon 2....mmmm maybe I Will back to the Blair Wo

StueyDuck

Not a single one has been able to recapture what PT originally delivered.

99% of these developers, most especially blooper, didn't understand what made PT so scary so they either just copy the looping hallways or the "don't touch that dial" scares, or they just do jump scares.

The reason PT was so horrific was because it constantly and creepily changed on you, and solutions to situations seemingly were just a crazy, I mean one loop you have to zoom in on text and go across the room and see the letters move to there 🤣 alone that makes zero sense, but since PT seemed to have rules that constantly changed on how you could die, or how to interact with the environment it just freaked you the fuck out, especially with how incredible the design and sound design were.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Not a single one has been able to recapture what PT originally delivered.

99% of these developers, most especially blooper, didn't understand what made PT so scary so they either just copy the looping hallways or the "don't touch that dial" scares, or they just do jump scares.

The reason PT was so horrific was because it constantly and creepily changed on you, and solutions to situations seemingly were just a crazy, I mean one loop you have to zoom in on text and go across the room and see the letters move to there 🤣 alone that makes zero sense, but since PT seemed to have rules that constantly changed on how you could die, or how to interact with the environment it just freaked you the fuck out, especially with how incredible the design and sound design were.
Sorry, but it sounds like you just have a bias against Bloober. Layers of Fear does feature constantly changing environments to play tricks on you, as well as puzzles that are far more inventive and interestingly designed than just zooming on some wall scribbles. So how come it's okay if P.T. does it but when LoF expanded upon the idea then it's suddenly bad. Doesn't make sense at all.

Also, the only reason why P.T. worked is because it was borderline alternate reality game, where no one knew what the heck it was or where it came from, and everyone was engaged by the mystery that could only be solved through collaboration. It was a lightning in a bottle, comparable only to Blair Witch Project and its marketing that implied that it was all real. But it's the kind of thing that's impossible to recapture and when standing on its own merits, it's just a bunch of cryptic bullshit that's by no means a good game with well designed puzzles. The myth surrounding this game is more interesting than the game itself.

StueyDuck

Sorry, but it sounds like you just have a bias against Bloober. Layers of Fear does feature constantly changing environments to play tricks on you, as well as puzzles that are far more inventive and interestingly designed than just zooming on some wall scribbles. So how come it's okay if P.T. does it but when LoF expanded upon the idea then it's suddenly bad. Doesn't make sense at all.

Also, the only reason why P.T. worked is because it was borderline alternate reality game, where no one knew what the heck it was or where it came from, and everyone was engaged by the mystery that could only be solved through collaboration. It was a lightning in a bottle, comparable only to Blair Witch Project and its marketing that implied that it was all real. But it's the kind of thing that's impossible to recapture and when standing on its own merits, it's just a bunch of cryptic bullshit that's by no means a good game with well designed puzzles. The myth surrounding this game is more interesting than the game itself.
blooper, more like pooper amaright

here's blooper making a pooper:

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
blooper, more like pooper amaright

here's blooper making a pooper:

the-rock-eye-roll.gif

How predictable.

Top Bottom