• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Papua New Guinea is still a different world

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

The latest trend among travel Youtubers looks like it's solo travel to Papua New Guinea. Here, this guy goes to Port Moresby and mingles with the locals, then heads into the jungle.

PNG has its...concerns, in terms of security, health, and infrastructure. But it is also a viewport into a vastly different world, which makes it pretty interesting!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Doesn't Papua New Guinea still have a bunch of undocumented animals and shit? Pretty crazy place.
Yeah, not exactly fully linked up with the modern world! There is some tourism though, would be interesting to visit the interior tribes, but there are far less dangerous ways of going about that.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The city life has disillusioned a lot of people, we still have a bunch of unsafe, dangerous areas in the world.

Where is old Guinea?

Etymology​

Papua is derived from a local term of uncertain origin.[26] "New Guinea" (Nueva Guinea) was the name coined by the Spanish explorer Yñigo Ortiz de Retez. In 1545, he noted the resemblance of the people to those he had earlier seen along the Guinea coast of Africa. Guinea, in its turn, is etymologically derived from the Portuguese word Guiné. The name is one of several toponyms sharing similar etymologies, ultimately meaning "land of the blacks" or similar meanings, in reference to the dark skin of the inhabitants.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Video #2, 3:09

0tep7Jo.jpg

I guess you can take your axe on the plane as long as you put it in a separate bin at security :messenger_grinning_sweat:

AJUMP23

Etymology​

Papua is derived from a local term of uncertain origin.[26] "New Guinea" (Nueva Guinea) was the name coined by the Spanish explorer Yñigo Ortiz de Retez. In 1545, he noted the resemblance of the people to those he had earlier seen along the Guinea coast of Africa. Guinea, in its turn, is etymologically derived from the Portuguese word Guiné. The name is one of several toponyms sharing similar etymologies, ultimately meaning "land of the blacks" or similar meanings, in reference to the dark skin of the inhabitants.
New uncertain origin land of blacks.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Papua is a bizarre South Korea / North Korea like land mass.

East Papua is PNG. I had a friend working there in charge of a big logistics company. A couple of years scared her shitless and she returned to Singapore. Back then I thought she was working for Procter & Gamble when she said “png” :D

West Papua, on the other hand, is Indonesia. Much more affluent and excellent for scuba travel. Raja Ampat is one of the top scuba destinations on the planet. It’s crazy to think that not too far away, you have PNG.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Papua is a bizarre South Korea / North Korea like land mass.

East Papua is PNG. I had a friend working there in charge of a big logistics company. A couple of years scared her shitless and she returned to Singapore. Back then I thought she was working for Procter & Gamble when she said “png” :D

West Papua, on the other hand, is Indonesia. Much more affluent and excellent for scuba travel. Raja Ampat is one of the top scuba destinations on the planet. It’s crazy to think that not too far away, you have PNG.
Yeah, the Indonesian side of the island is apparently much safer and better developed, though it looks like there's an insurgency going on along the border.

How are you liking French Polynesia? You built a home there, right?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yeah, the Indonesian side of the island is apparently much safer and better developed, though it looks like there's an insurgency going on along the border.

How are you liking French Polynesia? You built a home there, right?

French Polynesia is amazing. You have direct flights to Auckland, LA, SF, Seattle, Fiji and Tokyo. Fiber optic internet. Carrefour, Apple Store, Sony store, Nespresso store, french wine and cheese.

It’s generally very safe (petty theft aside), and locals are welcoming. Air is clean, and you can eat local produce - like sashimi grade tuna caught the same day for $10/kg.

Housing is really expensive, as are imports. Life is an outdoors lifestyle - scuba, cayaks, surfing, hiking, bbq.

It’s our third year here. House is going up, but a bit late because our roof was sent to Auckland by accident. Same general direction I guess.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
French Polynesia is amazing. You have direct flights to Auckland, LA, SF, Seattle, Fiji and Tokyo. Fiber optic internet. Carrefour, Apple Store, Sony store, Nespresso store, french wine and cheese.

It’s generally very safe (petty theft aside), and locals are welcoming. Air is clean, and you can eat local produce - like sashimi grade tuna caught the same day for $10/kg.

Housing is really expensive, as are imports. Life is an outdoors lifestyle - scuba, cayaks, surfing, hiking, bbq.

It’s our third year here. House is going up, but a bit late because our roof was sent to Auckland by accident. Same general direction I guess.
Sounds great. A bit out of the way but those are enough direct flights to not feel too isolated.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Sounds great. A bit out of the way but those are enough direct flights to not feel too isolated.
Yeah that was my worry the first year. We actually left for Europe for Xmas then because I was worried of cabin fever.

Worry was unfounded thankfully, there is so much to do in Polynesia and the internal flights are so good that you always have something. Like now for Xmas, we were in less than two hours from our Moorea home in a hotel in Bora Bora.

The one downside here is that postal and courier system is non existent. There are no street addresses. You have to pick up your UPS/DHL at Faa’a near the airport, if you can bother.

Hence as we are heading to Australia for NYE, our friends flat looks like an Amazon depot at this point.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I like my holidays a bit more cold beers and luxury linen than roasting over a firepit with an arrow stuck in my arse... But I love watching these mad bastards head off to these semi wild places, still waiting on the YouTuber who manages to set foot on North Sentinel Island and make it back alive

Last edited:
Top Bottom