• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parent Charges ‘Bullying’ After 91-0 Rout in High School Football Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...aches-accused-of-bullying-after-91-0-blowout/

Some losses in sports are tough to swallow. But after a 91-0 blowout in a Texas high school football game last week, one parent formally complained because he felt that players were “bullied” by the winning team’s coaches when they continued to run up the score.

The father of a Western Hills High School football player filed the complaint with the Aledo Independent School District after Aledo High School crushed Western Hills on Friday night. In the complaint, the parent argues that the Aledo staff should have taken steps to end the game quickly and spare the feelings of the Western Hills players.

“On Friday night we all witnessed bullying firsthand. … I did not know what to say [to my son] on the ride home to explain the behavior of the Aledo coaches for not easing up,” he said in the report.

Derek Citty, superintendent of the Aledo school district, told ABC News today that his staff is currently investigating the issue. But he also said that while the score was unfortunate, he believes Aledo coaches did take steps to control the size of the blowout.

Referees and coaches from both teams were in touch before and during the game about the prospect of a blowout, Citty said, and they took measures, such as allowing the clock to run when it normally stopped.

Tim Buchanan, head coach of Aledo’s team, told ABC News that this is not the first time the team has drastically outscored an opponent, and that he needed to keep his starters on the field to prepare for the playoffs.

“Our backups are playing more than our starters are. We’re trying to get ready for the playoffs and our running back has only carried the ball five times. Our starting running back had five carries and four touchdowns,” Buchanan said.

ABC News was unable to reach Western Hills coach John Naylor for a comment, but Buchanan said that he spoke with Naylor after the game and did not get the sense he was upset about the way the victory was handled.

Officials from the Aledo school district have not yet determined whether Buchanan and his staff will be disciplined for the incident. In the meantime, Buchanan said he’s is confident his actions were consistent with good sportsmanship. The score reflects a severe mismatch of talent, he noted, and that his team followed proper procedure to help mediate the blowout.

“We did basically everything we could do. You’re just hoping they can tackle you,” Buchanan said.

Buchanan said he started substituting players in the first quarter. He also said the game clock ran continuously starting toward the end of the third quarter.

But when asked why the team did not simply start kneeling the ball -- in effect, stop trying to play the game -- Buchanan was clear in his answer.

"To go out and tell your kids, 'No, I don't want you to play hard, because we're ahead,' that's against every fundamental coaching strategy that you have," he said.

Western Hills head coach John Naylor told NBC DFW after Monday's practice that he disagrees with the parent who claimed that the Aledo coaching staff bullied his players.

Western Hills Coach John Naylor said he disagrees with the allegations that his team was bullied.

“I think the game was handled fine,” Naylor said. “They’re No. 1 for a reason, and I know coach Buchanan. We’re fighting a real uphill battle right now.”

Naylor, whose roster had around 30 players Friday night, said there was only so much Aledo could do to stop scoring.

“We just ran into a buzzsaw, you know,” Naylor said. “[Aledo] just plays hard. And they’re good sports, and they don’t talk at all. They get after it, and that’s the way football is supposed to be played in Texas.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/1...1-0-football-win-last.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

Sounds like they are making a mockery of bullying and how painful it can really be for those that are bullied.

Kids need to learn that they will lose sometimes, and some of those losses will be spectacular. Teach your kid to learn from the losses they will face in the future.

MIMIC

Banned
“On Friday night we all witnessed bullying firsthand. … I did not know what to say [to my son] on the ride home to explain the behavior of the Aledo coaches for not easing up,” he said in the report.

I'd start off with "yall suck"

Mercy rules harm the thrill of sports. Was so annoying in youth basketball, had to defend from behind the 3 point line if leading by a certain amount of points.

Grym

smh

Its not bullying to get routed in a sport. This just minimizes the seriousness of real bullying

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
If I ever got 0-91 by anyone in any competitive sport, the last thing I want would be announcing it in the local newspaper.

I bet the winning team is laughing their ass off after reading this.

Why should the third stringers who probably never get to actually play have to kneel down on every possession instead of, you know, actually playing just because your kids' team is shit? It's a learning experience. In life not everything is about sportsmanship or being nice. Sometimes you get the shit kicked out of you and you don't get to ask life to "ease up".

smh

Not bullying to get routed in a sport. This just minimizes the seriousness of real bullying

This. Sounds like a parent who was upset that his snowflake had to experience a tough loss.

I'd call it an excellent teaching/coaching moment for both teams, but not even close to bullying.

edit:

Why should the third stringers who probably never get to actually play have to kneel down on every possession instead of, you know, actually playing just because your kids' team is shit? It's a learning experience. In life not everything is about sportsmanship or being nice. Sometimes you get the shit kicked out of you and you don't get to ask life to "ease up".

Beaten and better said.

That's not bullying. If anything playing easy on someone is worse because it lets them know you dont respect their game at all.

Camp Lo

Banned
UPDATE:

Aledo head coach Tim Buchanan said that the school district has finished its investigation and found "no grounds" for bullying after Buchanan's team dismantled Fort Worth Western Hills 91-0, causing one parent to file a complaint, according to ESPN.

Buchanan played his second and third-string guys throughout most of the second half and simplified the playbook, but Aledo still outscored the opponents 35-0 over the final two quarters.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/ey...-football-blowout-leads-to-charge-of-bullying

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
UPDATE:

Aledo head coach Tim Buchanan said that the school district has finished its investigation and found "no grounds" for bullying after Buchanan's team dismantled Fort Worth Western Hills 91-0, causing one parent to file a complaint, according to ESPN.

Buchanan played his second and third-string guys throughout most of the second half and simplified the playbook, but Aledo still outscored the opponents 35-0 over the final two quarters.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/ey...-football-blowout-leads-to-charge-of-bullying

Holy Crap indeed :(

Camp Lo

Banned
Holy Crap indeed :(

Just a little bit more about the school that lost:

08/30
7:30p
@ Seagoville (Dallas, TX)
Box Score
61 - 7
Loss

09/06
Brewer (Fort Worth, TX)
Box Score
62 - 10
Loss

09/13
TBA
Denton (Denton, TX)
Box Score
63 - 0
Loss

09/26
TBA
Trimble Tech (Fort Worth, TX)
Box Score
9 - 7
Loss

10/03
TBA
@ Southwest (Fort Worth, TX)
Box Score
35 - 7
Loss

10/11
Granbury (Granbury, TX)
Box Score
49 - 30
Loss

10/18
@ Aledo (Aledo, TX)
Box Score
91 - 0

Enron

Banned
Heard about this on atl sportsradio the other day. The team in question, Aledo, is one of the top programs in the country and is the #1 ranked team in the state in their classification.

Here's what they have done to other opponents.

Aledo 44, Highland Park 3 (Highland Park is the program that produced NFL QB Matthew Stafford)

Aledo 56, Stephenville 14

Aledo 49, Prep Tech (Mexico) 0

Aledo 84, Arlington Heights 7

Aledo 77, South Hills 16

Aledo 84, Wyatt 7

Aledo 91, Western Hills 0

How is a single team that bad? Don't HS teams usually play in divisions against similarly sized schools?

From my own experience no. Schools with more money can be in the same districts as those with less. And certain schools just have more established and better teams for certain sports that have congealed over the years.

How is a single team that bad? Don't HS teams usually play in divisions against similarly sized schools?

My high school's football team was garbage. We had terrible coaching, but a lot of it was due to the fact that the school was a magnet school and had little to no interest in maintaining the sports programs.

2San

Heard about this on atl sportsradio the other day. The team in question, Aledo, is one of the top programs in the country and is the #1 ranked team in the state in their classification.

Here's what they have done to other opponents.

Aledo 44, Highland Park 3 (Highland Park is the program that produced NFL QB Matthew Stafford)

Aledo 56, Stephenville 14

Aledo 49, Prep Tech (Mexico) 0

Aledo 84, Arlington Heights 7

Aledo 77, South Hills 16

Aledo 84, Wyatt 7

Aledo 91, Western Hills 0
Holy shit, no wonder you have some of these kids growing up thinking they own the world.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
National news, this team and all it's players suck hard.

Go winners!

Bear

Sometimes people lose. Sometimes they are completely crushed. This is a chance for that father to teach his son how to make the most of failure and come out stronger. Instead, he chose to create this pitiful squabble while making a mockery of what bullying really is.

At least he seems to be standing alone on this, the losing coach is taking the high road here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom