• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People fear Microsoft controlling Call of Duty, but what about a potential World of Warcraft 2?

As someone who plays WoW currently, I don't want a WoW 2. I'm having a great time with the new expansion, and I feel positive about the new mindset the devs are pushing with the game. WoW is going through a bit of a "renovation" right now, trying to repair its foundation and I like the roadmap of content they are promising.

Topher

Gold Member
What I would give for an old school Blizzard RTS.

I Like Yes GIF by Saturday Night Live

Reactions: Gp1

Chastten

Banned
WoW is almost 20 years old by now, I personally quit over 12 years ago.

There won't be a WoW 2. And even if they do make one, it won't make any big waves. Also, it has never been playable on PlayStation so it's a non-issue regardless.

Bridges

Overwatch started as an MMO (I think they were calling it Titan), and the thing fell apart. They reused the characters and assets and repurposed it into the first person shooter version we have now.

Not saying it can't be done, but I don't know that Blizzard trusts itself to make another MMO, they've already tried and failed. Creating a direct sequel could kill the golden goose.

killatopak

That's a design decision that only takes a willingness to improve the UI/UX experience.
There's the problem. See, they aren't exactly willing. You know it's the least of their priority when boss strats are specifically designed with add ons in mind as recent as shadowlands yet there are zero UI changes.

They are treating ad ons as a crutch instead of it being, you know, an ad on. Something extra, something that isn't required or give unneccesary advantage.

It's like designing a boss in a Souls game that assumes the user uses a trainer that tells you what attack the boss does next. Then making the boss' attack pattern with zero margin for error because of that same assumption.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
World of Warcraft averages 1.19 million DAU.

Final Fantasy 14 averages 1.17million DAU.

WOW is hardly a dead game, FF14 has hardly killed it. For a game that's been going 18 years those numbers are actually pretty impressive.
Where did you get the numbers?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Here’s my “Drake Equation”:

probability that MS will take the massive risk + investment to attempt development of a WoW2

X

probability that the development results in a commercial release rather than indefinite delays/cancellation

X

probability that, given WoW2 is released, it’s actually a good game that has a successful release

X

probability that, given a successful release, they’re able to grow and maintain their subscriber base and provide a steady stream of content

Any guesses?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
People who suggest a sequel to a mmorpg don't play mmorpgs.

People have 15+ year history, achievement, and gear and transmog stuff.

People who played for 15 years will not jump to wow 2.

Also what the hell do you want from wow2? They used all the lore from the first Warcraft in WoW.

Guild wars got a sequel because of the limitations of the engine. I don't know why they released a EverQuest 2 but it surely didn't help split the player base.

Wow 2 won't be as successful as wow

DaGwaphics

WoW is not a console property. It makes literally zero difference to all players whether or not MS owns that IP or not (which is the only reason people bring up CoD).

That thing does need a sequel if they want to sustain its life (give it away to the current subscribers for free so that you keep that player base), it needs a graphics update bad.

Last edited:

The_Mike

WoW is not a console property. It makes literally zero difference to all players whether or not MS owns that IP or not (which is the only reason people bring up CoD).

That thing does need a sequel if they want to sustain its life (give it away to the current subscribers for free so that you keep that player base), it needs a graphics update bad.
You do realise that you can ugprade the graphics?

Wow looks better now than at classic.

People still play wow because they have a relationship with their 15 year old toons.

If I loose all my progression, mounts etc, I would never touch wow 2 but stick to wow.

And many more would do that.

DaGwaphics

You do realise that you can ugprade the graphics?

Wow looks better now than at classic.

People still play wow because they have a relationship with their 15 year old toons.

If I loose all my progression, mounts etc, I would never touch wow 2 but stick to wow.

And many more would do that.

Maybe a new version would bring your characters and progression along. There is only so much they could do with a sliding target, I think they'd have to establish a new baseline for the minimum requirements to really modernize things, plus users that can't play the new game could keep playing the old one. Which would likely be an issue for a lot of players since, at least from what I've read, WoW is one of those games that a lot of people are playing on iGPUs. Even though they would likely target something that could still run on the better, modern iGPUs, you'd probably have people hanging back on older/weaker systems.

Last edited:

NickFire

I think they'd be better off adapting the first to console. Even if they only have 4 million subs or whatever, that is still a lot of revenue.

Bragr

Banned
As someone who plays WoW currently, I don't want a WoW 2. I'm having a great time with the new expansion, and I feel positive about the new mindset the devs are pushing with the game. WoW is going through a bit of a "renovation" right now, trying to repair its foundation and I like the roadmap of content they are promising.
What I never understood about current fans is, don't you feel it's too old at this point?

The old-ass animations as you fight, the clunky look and feel of the whole thing. It's like playing with wooden block toys.

What I never understood about current fans is, don't you feel it's too old at this point?

The old-ass animations as you fight, the clunky look and feel of the whole thing. It's like playing with wooden block toys.
Nah we don't care about graphics and the art direction is still carrying it enough. Plus it can run on a potato, which is nice because I don't have a good computer. Also, the responsiveness of the combat still feels great compared to many MMOs. It feels better than it looks, that's for sure. When I'm burning through my rotation, it flows like playing the piano.

This expansion certainly is a breath of fresh air for me personally. I haven't grinded a single thing so far. I've been max level for awhile now and still haven't touched the raid or pvp because I'm busy doing other stuff. Now when I log in, I don't have a list of things I must do. This has given me the opportunity to explore stuff I would've never touched otherwise, like pet battles and crafting. Many times I've logged in with a certain mindset of what I want to accomplish, yet gotten completely sidetracked with content I didn't expect while exploring the zones.

Zug

Popular MMO's don't need sequels, WoW has evolved a lot technically since 2004.
Sony's biggest mistake with Everquest was to release a sequel, EQ1 fundations were rock solid and with an engine update and some paint the game it could have stayed a strong alternative to WoW for PVE fans. Instead the players left as EQ1 was left aside only updated with poor quality content, and EQ2 was inferior to Wow in every aspect in 2004-2005.

The_Mike

Maybe a new version would bring your characters and progression along. There is only so much they could do with a sliding target, I think they'd have to establish a new baseline for the minimum requirements to really modernize things, plus users that can't play the new game could keep playing the old one. Which would likely be an issue for a lot of players since, at least from what I've read, WoW is one of those games that a lot of people are playing on iGPUs. Even though they would likely target something that could still run on the better, modern iGPUs, you'd probably have people hanging back on older/weaker systems.
Splitting a mmorpg between two versions isn't really good.

You'd split the player base, alot will probably unsub because they no longer can play with their friends.

Wow 2 is not really necessary. Graphics really isn't that important, and there would mainly be disadvantages.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Splitting a mmorpg between two versions isn't really good.

You'd split the player base, alot will probably unsub because they no longer can play with their friends.

Wow 2 is not really necessary. Graphics really isn't that important, and there would mainly be disadvantages.

Isn't the original game basically on a death spiral now? I guess they can opt to just keep moving forward until it no longer has players, either way they had better be thinking about something to take its place.

Elitro

WoW was absolutely amazing when it was launched.
Honestly i can't see a new WoW to be as revolutionary unless it brings a new discovery factor, perhaps like VR.

Also, while i am moderately excited for D4, i don't really think Blizz currently has what it takes to create a compelling WoW2 experience.

Hamza

Neo Member
After overwatch 2 I don’t think anyone should be afraid of any blizz/vision sequel except cod of course sales wise

When WoW came out, everyone was talking about how MMOs are gonna take over the world.

Currently, World of Warcraft has an estimated 4-ish million subscribers, at its height it had 12 million.

This is considered the main reason why they haven't done a new game, while it's a lot less than its prime, it's still big enough to make a lot of money.

But that is a pussy argument, any real developer would want to make a new big MMO, and I am convinced most at Blizzard would love to do a WoW 2, but the leads won't let them because Overwatch blew up.

WoW 2 would make billions in its first year. There are millions of recovering WoW addicts that would go right back.
there is no potential, its about call of duty

Top Bottom