• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer blames capitalism for games industry woes: 'I don't get the luxury of not having to run a profitable growing business'

Ogbert

Hayy you guyzzzz!!

Capitalism made me spend 80 billion on Call of Duty!

The Goonies Sloth GIF

Mooreberg

Minus the link, I'd have thought this was a Babylon Bee article. PC Gamer having devolved so thoroughly into unintentional satire doesn't help. Anyway, Phil, you work for the most valuable company on Earth. Bread lines and gulags didn't get you there.

This is kind of what it seems like to me. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain. He says:

Well, the other reason would be dividends, right? Obviously, there is no unlimited growth, but a stable business can provide dividends. If the industry isn't growing, shouldn't the companies share dividends instead of rely on growth potential? I feel like we hear about "record revenue and profit" frequently, is there a reason they are not doing that?

Not all companies pay dividends as many growing companies will reinvest their profits back into the business to grow the business instead of dividing it up and sharing it among shareholders (i.e. dividends).

Capitalism doesn't necessitate it, but certain industries do. Gaming as it is now is certainly one of them.

I don't agree that gaming does.

There have been a shit tonne of indie and independently developed games that now print billions in revenue per year and were made by studios whose stock isn't listed on any exchange, e.g. Epic Games, the devs of Roblox, Hoyoverse, the Minecraft dev prior to their acquisition, etc etc.

Unlike in previous gens, small indie devs can now strike it big and see their game become a multibillion dollar cash cow overnight; no massive publically-traded publisher required.

If AAA gaming died tomorrow, gaming would be fine and AA and indie games would step up to fill the void, with the eventual biggest winners making enough money through MTXs on their hit games that they can finance AAA scope games all by themselves.

Heck, the most expensive game ever conceived was fully financed by crowdfunding; i.e. Star (Scam)izen.

It's frankly a myth (perpetuated by the giant publishers themselves---likely to continue to justify their own existence) that what the gaming market wants is larger and larger AAAA+ massively multiplayer, open world, bleeding edge, grind-a-thon, live service monoliths of a game. The pubs keep pushing this narrative and then every now and again a game like Palworld or Genshin Impact or Helldivers 2 comes along and utterly dismantles that narrative.

Game budgets ballooning continue to do so because pubs are intentionally driving up dev costs in order to weed out their competition and justify higher upfront pricing with deeper, ever more scummy MTX models.

Last edited:
Capitalism is not what it is. The problem comes from monopolies, which is anti-capitalism. Capitalism is a system where anybody can have opportunities from their own talent and earn money. The current world of Microsoft is the antithesis of that, they want to eat everything else and become god and prevent anyone else from opportunities, here being creative in your own ways.

ProtoByte

Capitalism is not what it is. The problem comes from monopolies, which is anti-capitalism. Capitalism is a system where anybody can have opportunities from their own talent and earn money. The current world of Microsoft is the antithesis of that, they want to eat everything else and become god and prevent anyone else from opportunities, here being creative in your own ways.
Not all monopolies are anti-capitalist. Microsoft's monopoly (ie where they make the most money, by far) is pretty natural.

The industry going through rough times is not the reason for xbox's situation.

Did you read the interview? He is talking about the entire industry, not just Xbox. In fact a majority of it has nothing to do with the current situation for Xbox.

I love reading it, but the obsession some of you have where you read a Phil headline and jump right to shit posting is bizarre.

darthkarki

Not all companies pay dividends as many growing companies will reinvest their profits back into the business to grow the business instead of dividing it up and sharing it among shareholders (i.e. dividends).

Correct, I'm just wondering why more don't utilize dividends, specifically in the gaming industry. If it's such a known factor that the size of the industry isn't growing, that would seem like common sense to me.

Tomeru

Did you read the interview? He is talking about the entire industry, not just Xbox. In fact a majority of it has nothing to do with the current situation for Xbox.

I love reading it, but the obsession some of you have where you read a Phil headline and jump right to shit posting is bizarre.
Xbox is part of the industry, and what he is responsibme for.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Xbox is failing. The other two consoles are not; they are thriving and growing.

The obsession with obfuscating and hiding Xbox's failures under the false guise of the entire console industry's fake failure is indeed bizarre.

Xbox is failing. The other two consoles are not; they are thriving and growing.

The obsession with obfuscating and hiding Xbox's failures under the false guise of the entire console industry's fake failure is indeed bizarre.

He isn’t claiming the industry is failing 😆😆

Thanks for proving the point.

twilo99

Genuine question. Why do they want to do this? What is their vision?

I have no idea what the goal is but definitely fueling capitalism which papi Phil is complaining about .. it’s rather ironic.

Could be one of them publicity stunts but I don’t think so ..

Correct, I'm just wondering why more don't utilize dividends, specifically in the gaming industry. If it's such a known factor that the size of the industry isn't growing, that would seem like common sense to me.
Because it probably makes more sense to reinvest those profits.

In times of poor industry growth across the board, you should be looking to invest, to innovate so that when the good times do eventually return you'll be better placed to exploit them.

Many gaming companies operate on very slim profit margins to begin with, so there's not a lot of choice as to what to do with those profits they do earn. Unlike very high margin companies like Apple who can invest heavily in R&D alongside releasing dividends to appease shareholders.

This is it and it's why gaming was so fucking good in the 90's and early 00's. Developers cared about making good games first and everything else came later. It wasn't an absolutely crazy huge industry like it is today.

All people give a shit about now is making a quick buck and moving onto the next thing. It's a soulless industry full of idiots, with a few diamonds in the rough.

th4tguy

They have provided 0 reason to buy their console. I can play everything they release on other platforms.
As a new consumer that had to choose between two systems, why would I chose the one where there are no exclusives?
The choice is obvious. They painted themselves into a corner chasing stock holder pipe dreams of short term gains over long term growth and this is the result.

I wonder what it’s like living with Phil as he walks around the house with his head so deep up his own ass huffing greasy green farts…

Man single handedly under his reign killed:
-Halo
-Gears of War
-Forza
-Fable

All staple franchises that made people buy a Xbox are in the shitter.

What a joke.
The man has won more lifetime achievements awards than released new original 1st party IPs...

They have provided 0 reason to buy their console. I can play everything they release on other platforms.
As a new consumer that had to choose between two systems, why would I chose the one where there are no exclusives?
The choice is obvious. They painted themselves into a corner chasing stock holder pipe dreams of short term gains over long term growth and this is the result.
It's truly confounding. I'm normally a "own every console" kind of guy, but I just can't figure out what the reason would be to own the latest Xbox because of those reasons. I loved 360, wish we could go back to that era of Microsoft. Well, before Kinect anyway.

ProtoByte

There have been a shit tonne of indie and independently developed games that now print billions in revenue per year and were made by studios whose stock isn't listed on any exchange, e.g. Epic Games, the devs of Roblox, Hoyoverse, the Minecraft dev prior to their acquisition, etc etc.
It's easy to look at the successes and not at the swath of middle of the road cases or outright failures. The latter 2 outnumber the former by a ton.

It's not like the game market's growth to this point of scale, wasn't majorly/entirely facilitated by the AAA-output of publicly traded publishers from between the 90s up until now.

It's frankly a myth (perpetuated by the giant publishers themselves---likely to continue to justify their own existence) that what the gaming market wants is larger and larger AAAA+ massively multiplayer, open world, bleeding edge, grind-a-thon, live service monoliths of a game. The pubs keep pushing this narrative and then every now and again a game like Palworld or Genshin Impact or Helldivers 2 comes along and utterly dismantles that narrative.
It's just weird that you say all of the bolded in a negative light and then use Palworld and Genshin Impact as examples. In fact, your previous examples of Roblox, and your insinuations towards Fortnite and the Hoyverse products share at least 1-2 aspects of what you're criticizing, and it tends to be the worst of those. Like, the whole reason why a lot of the established publishers are going after the bolded is because of stuff like Fortnite, Genshin, Minecraft, etc.

Helldivers 2 kinda debunks your own point about people not wanting greater production values. The first game was smaller in budget and scope, but similar in its design. They go AAA - with the financial backing of a publicly traded 1st party publisher, I'll add - and the game is a success that blows the first out of the water. Palworld is open world MMO Pokémon with better graphics and greater gameplay scope. It owes its success to the gap Nintendo has left in the market by not using the resources to elevate their IP on a technical level, as opposed to coasting on an asset base barely distinguishable to what they were using since the 3DS installments.

Game budgets ballooning continue to do so because pubs are intentionally driving up dev costs in order to weed out their competition and justify higher upfront pricing with deeper, ever more scummy MTX models.
I think this is just a naive understanding of the "why" for game dev cost ballooning.

Publishers did not mean institute a generational shift in attitudes towards work in the game industry (anti-crunch and the like); or even intentionally create organizational bloat and bureaucracy for themselves; or have their entire workforce hook themselves on the idea of remote work as a result of governmental overreach; or pump the entire western economy with inflationary money not backed up by real-value. These are the main things that have increased costs for tech as a whole, not just gaming.

By the way, there's nothing underhanded or immoral about using your fairly earned cale and size to add high production values to your product's list of selling points. Lol

Related to the previous quote, you should also understand that Epic, Hoyverse and every other private, indie or publicly traded success does exactly that. Fortnite might not look the most cutting edge on a technical level, but it's production values show in the amount of content Epic makes for it at the speed they work at. It's very expensive and difficult to make a multiplayer game that's good enough to gain a significant player base and to keep and monetize that player base therein with sufficiently regular and large updates. With all of their money, resources and IP, Sony concluded that their marquee studio could not keep up with that.

Top Bottom