• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer says most publishers take advantage of the success of old franchises over risking something new

RickMasters

They’re doing exactly what gamers want.

How many times have we seen fans hype up 5 year old, 10 year old, and 20+ year old franchises for every single conference?

How many times will they make long announcement wish lists every year of these franchises?

How many times will these same gamers shit on everything new?

The AAA publishers are simply providing supply to the demand 🤷‍♂️
Exactly. Can’t blame them for their type of risk aversion. You can spend 100s of millions on a new ip and it can bomb and cost you your high powered job,because people REALLY wanted yet another assassins creed, cod. It’s easy for people to say they should take risks but you don’t get to do what you want with investors money.

I suppose there’s always indie games if people can get over them not being AAA. But that’s a whole other topic. Can’t keep keep blaming big pubs for not taking risks and simply responding to customer demand. That in turn, keeps the lights on at these devs buildings. It’s simply business.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One of the reason why I love Vanillaware, they re-release their old games (I'm glad they do) but they also always work on new IP, they never do sequels.

Unfortunately they rarely get appreciated because they make AA games. This is my issue with gaming industry, both AAA and indies get attention but AA games gets pushed aside which is sad because most my favourite games are AA.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Most gamers want devs to take high risks while also give them super expensive graphics….what people expect here?
Self fulfilling prophecy half the time.

>Give me new IP and super duper graphics
>This new game sucks gimme the old game
>Gives old game and gamers demand high risks and even better graphics
>Repeat cycle

So it becomes a case of Gamers not knowing what they want and Companies sticking to what worked to make the most money.

It's why I keep regurgitating that most companies should stick to mostly AA budget games so they can not only provide new IPs or experiences but recycle their old IPs at the same time.

It's like comparing 2 chicken sandwiches where one looks plain but it's well cooked and is nice and tender and at a bargain price and then you have this amazing looking sandwich but it's overpriced and dried out and bland.

And then the customer complains because it's not a Burger. And if they get a Burger they want a Steak instead.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
>Give me new IP and super duper graphics
>This new game sucks gimme the old game
>Gives old game and gamers demand high risks and even better graphics
>Repeat cycle
funny-thank-you-jimmy-fallon-fxbourgj6qcfvwl3.gif

99% of the time so called "fans" dont know what fuck they want and just want to complain on internet.....they are their own worse enemy.

Last edited:

Nonehxc

He's right. In a few days we will be getting the 13th Forza game in 18 years.

That's a new Forza game every 1,3 years.

Please make it stop Uncle Phil!

SHA

So you're telling me cod will stay as the biggest AB ip forever and there won't be something better from them in the future?

Thirty7ven

Banned
So you're telling me cod will stay as the biggest AB ip forever and there won't be something better from them in the future?

All the talent that created new hits at AB and Blizzard have left.

Just think about it, who the fuck wants to work on Call of Duty? Yes it makes a lot of money, but that isn’t what draws creative talent. The franchise basically runs on monetization schemes, with everything else surrounding being stuck in the same level of mediocrity for years and years.

Can you imagine the risk of of telling these mediocre studios to stop feeding COD and go do their own thing? It would be hilarious to see.

Hell Sony just tried something like it, put a bunch of money on a studio made of call of duty veterans, and it was a shit show.

Fanboys don’t want to see it, but MS is just worried about content, not the quality of it. They look at it like an excel spreadsheet, where they get to release content at a cadence that on paper justifies gamepass. Quality of games never comes up as a priority.

And the fact they thought Elder Scrolls would come out next year is hilarious. These people lol

Last edited:

SHA

All the talent that created new hits at AB and Blizzard have left.

Just think about it, who the fuck wants to work on Call of Duty? Yes it makes a lot of money, but that isn’t what draws creative talent. The franchise basically runs on monetization schemes, with everything else surrounding being stuck in the same level of mediocrity for years and years.

Can you imagine the risk of of telling these mediocre studios to stop feeding COD and go do their own thing? It would be hilarious to see.

Hell Sony just tried something like it, put a bunch of money on a studio made of call of duty veterans, and it was a shit show.

Fanboys don’t want to see it, but MS is just worried about content, not the quality of it. They look at it like an excel spreadsheet, where they get to release content at a cadence that on paper justifies gamepass. Quality of games never comes up as a priority.

And the fact they thought Elder Scrolls would come out next year is hilarious. These people lol
They're the cause of something creative, unexpected, to be born out of nowhere, creative devs wanna make something creative.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
He's right Gamepass gives them a lot more leeway to take risks and try something fresh. That's why they can do the Kojima game when others are just looking at numbers.
Did you know about gamepaasssssssssss ???????? Did you ? Hun hun hunnnnnn ??

Gojiira

Microsoft pushing for release? The game had been in various concept stages since 2006, began full production in 2013, received a 2016 release date, and then missed it entirely until being cancelled in 2017. Talk about having a ton of leeway.

Also, the game was conceived as a multiplayer co-op game from inception, which is one of the main reasons they opted for a Microsoft partnership in the first place. If Platinum didn't think they could pull of this new type of experience from the expertise at the studio, they shouldn't have accepted Microsoft's checks.
Conceived in 2006…So an idea
Started production in 2013, 3 years of actual dev time. Most AAA games taking up to 5-6. So it had 3 years of actual dev on a platform Platinum had little experience with.
If it had been a PS game, Xdev would have assisted in getting it polished up for release or helped with the software side.
Xbox did not offer the same amount of support.
And that is all it needed, polish. Frame rate was erratic but otherwise the game looked pretty damn unique, and a heck of a lot more original than anything else Xbox put out that gen.
If they’re gonna throw money at a studio then the appropriate thing to do is manage said studio, but well Mismanagement is kind of Xbox’s motto so….

Top Bottom