• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Mayor Asks Trump To Delay Visit, Hoping For 'More Sound Judgment'

Zolo

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...to-delay-visit-hoping-for-more-sound-judgment
Shortly after President Trump posted a link for tickets to a rally in Phoenix, the city's mayor issued a statement asking the president not to come, saying, "our nation is still healing from the tragic events in Charlottesville."

Mayor Greg Stanton continued, "If President Trump is coming to Phoenix to announce a pardon for former Sheriff Joe Arpaio, then it will be clear that his true intent is to enflame emotions and further divide our nation."

By planning a rally and reportedly stating that he is "seriously considering" a pardon for Arpaio, Trump is seen as attempting to change the subject — and perhaps to further unite his base of support — in the face of criticism.

At the rally, Trump is also expected to speak in favor of a candidate he's backing in the upcoming midterm elections; on Thursday, he tweeted his support for Kelli Ward, the challenger to Republican Sen. Jeff Flake. In recent interviews and in his new book, Flake, who refused to vote for Trump, said Republicans made a "Faustian bargain" by backing him.

Arpaio, 85, was voted out of the Maricopa County office in November; last month, he was found guilty of criminal contempt by a federal judge in Arizona over his refusal to stop targeting Latinos for more than a year after a court order barred his deputies from detaining immigrants.

Arpaio is facing a potential six-month prison term; he's not scheduled to be sentenced until Oct. 5.

Trump and Arpaio have often spoken of their support for each another; the former sheriff backed Trump's presidential campaign and spoke at events on his behalf.

News of the Phoenix rally came via Twitter on Wednesday night, when Trump posted a link to his campaign's site where prospective attendees could register for tickets.

In a statement about the planned Trump rally, Stanton said, "It is my hope that more sound judgment prevails and that he delays his visit."

He added that his city will prepare to protect First Amendment rights — and the public's safety — if the rally goes ahead as planned.

He's gonna talk about the Spain attack to deflect too and how the "alt-left" are distracting us from the real problem and are just as bad.*

*Prediction out of my ass but Trump speaks out of his too.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The worse thing is trump probably isn't even doing this thinking of what this could mean to other people, just merely thinking of himself and only himself

jviggy43

I hope he doesn't and goes anyway. We need people to be angry everyday not give them time to forget and move on.

By planning a rally and reportedly stating that he is "seriously considering" a pardon for Arpaio, Trump is seen as attempting to change the subject — and perhaps to further unite his base of support — in the face of criticism.
Yeah, no. Going out of your way to pardon a racist birther who was convicted of contempt for continuing to illegally profile and detain latinos isn't going to "change the subject" from you being a massive racist piece of shit. Steve Bannon wants you to double down on the racism, so I guess that's probably where we're headed.

Steve Bannon said:
”The Democrats," he said, ”the longer they talk about identity politics, I got 'em. I want them to talk about racism every day. If the left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats."

Dynomutt

Morning folks! If he shows up and any Gaffers are in PHX. Their will be a rally/counter protest event in Downtown PHX on Tuesday the 22nd @ 6PM @ the Herberger Theater Center. Make your voices heard.

televator

Not to mention continue to fan the flames when he's already being associated with racists and neo-nazis.

When mi gente show up to counter Trump in a time that people are countering Nazi mother fuckers it will be in full real time public view what side Trump is on. I hope there are demonstrations being planned. Ill try to be there for that one. Trump and Arpio, FTP.

Morning folks! If he shows up and any Gaffers are in PHX. Their will be a rally/counter protest event in Downtown PHX on Tuesday the 22nd @ 6PM @ the Herberger Theater Center. Make your voices heard.

Already gonna be there with a group of friends to protest. Also book tickets for his rally (since they're free) and not show up for those seats making it look emptier thus damaging his ego further.

this is still happening. 7pm MST.

Tue, August 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
07:00 pm (MST)

Phoenix Convention Center
100 N. 3rd Street
Phoenix, AZ 85004

Top Bottom