• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police Play “The Purge” Siren In Louisiana

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Herd immunity time?

Over the weekend, the police department in Crowley, Louisiana announced in a now-deleted Facebook post that its units would blare ‘an audible alarm’ distinctly different from the ‘regular sirens’ to announce a citywide curfew was in effect due to the coronavirus pandemic. With this curfew, no one is allowed to leave their homes until 6am the following morning unless they have special employment documentation.

In the wake of that, Crowley Police chief Jimmy Broussard told KATC (via Blue Lives Matter) that he was unaware that the sound was associated with the action-horror franchise and said that going forward, no type of siren will be used to announce the curfew.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah my ass they didn't know.
I'm telling you way too many American cops view the public as their enemy and I'm sure they got a real laugh out of doing this.

Alx

I was ready to see people reaching to over-analyze a standard siren sound, but after listening to the movie siren again... yeah it's the Purge sound. :p

Geki-D

Banned
In their defence... Is the Purge siren actually a unique siren sound made for the movie or is it just a generic soundboard siren they used? I mean it is just a siren sound. Just like if they used an airhorn, it would be a bit silly to say "Police used sound from MLG memes to announce curfew".

....Of course really I think some cop thought it would be funny. Probably a lot less after the police chief asked who the hell picked it.

Alx

That's what I was wondering at first, but most alarm sirens seem to be long, continuous sounds. Short bursts like in the movie or this case seem very specific.

The U.S. federal standard regarding emergency warning signals is defined in FEMA's Outdoor Warning Systems Guide, CPG 1-17,[67] published on 01-March-1980, which describes the Civil Defense Warning System (CDWS) and its warning signals. The language was slightly revised by FEMA's National Warning System Operations Manual, Manual 1550.2[68] published 2001-03-30:
  • Attack Warning – A 3 to 5-minute wavering tone on sirens or a series of short blasts on horns or other devices. The Attack Warning signal means detection of an actual attack or accidental missile launch. Take protective action immediately. The Attack Warning will be repeated as often as deemed necessary by local government authorities to obtain the required response by the population, including taking protective action related to the arrival of fallout. This signal will have no other meaning and will be used for no other purpose. (However, sometimes the attack modes are used for tornado warnings.)
  • Attention or Alert Warning – A 3 to 5-minute steady signal from sirens, horns, or other devices. Local government officials may authorize use of this signal to alert the public of peacetime emergencies, normally tornadoes, flash floods, and tsunamis. Besides any other meaning or requirement for action as determined by local government officials, the 'attention' or 'alert' signal will indicate to all persons in the United States, "Turn on your radio or television and listen for essential emergency information."
  • A third distinctive signal may be used for other purposes, such as a local fire signal.
  • No all-clear signal is defined by either document.

NeoGiffer

Just a joke. The "curfew" is not enforced here

tenor.gif

mcz117chief

I think the purge isn't a bad idea personally
It served no purpose lol, at least in the movie it felt completely pointless. Basically rich kids hunting and killing homeless people. The only difference between the movie and reality is that in the movie they do it legally.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
more like cops use a cop alarm and it just happens that a movie used it too.

but of course with today's idiots they think cos it was in a movie that the movie made it up.

The Purge the movie itself is dumb as a brick, people thinking cops ripped off a movie even stupider.

The best sirens were the Chrysler Hemi powered victory sirens, cold war era cozy feels and all (or horror):

I love the sound of those. So ominous.

I've told this story here once before I think, but I'll tell it again since this reminded me.

When my child was very little, she was terrified of sirens. From the first time she heard one, she would run to my arms in terror - every time. She would stay frozen in my embrace for quite a while before able to let it go. It was more than a normal fear that you expect. It was very deep and intense.

One day when she was very young and heard a siren and came running to me, I decided to ask why she was so afraid of them after she settled down. (She was still pre-school age at the time.) And her answer gave me chills. She said, "Because daddy, after the siren, the bombs come."

I'm fairly certain she had no exposure to anything that could have informed such awareness. And I know she was deathly afraid of them before she *could* have had any other exposure to form that type of connection. If anything could have convinced me in reincarnation, it was that moment.

desertdroog

Because I broached this thread with automotive engines being used for other purposes, like home defense, here is another neat historical fact. Since there is nothing more American than a Hot Rod, the SR-71 being the penultimate hot rod, next to an actual space rocket, the industry around these birds were supported by home grown hot rodders lending their skills and know how to solve the problem of reliably starting up these secret planes.

The SR-71 required a start cart to spin up the J58 engines. The only engines that had the torque to do this was the Buick 401 Nailhead and when those became scarce they used the 454 Chevrolet, though the crews preferred the older Buicks due to the torque off idle.

In 1960 the 401 Nailhead V8 was found in only the Electra and Invicta models. 4.1875" bore by 3.64" stroke. Had a compression ratio of 10.25:1. Equipped with a 600cfm Carter AFB on a cast iron 4bbl intake. Factory power specs are 325hp @ 4400rpm and 445lb/ft torque @ 2800rpm

Famous race car builder, Mickey Thompson built the engines for the start carts. These starter carts, which held those engines, were built by Arlen Kurtis, son of Frank Kurtis of race car fame. They are mentioned in the few books published about Frank Kurtis Racing Cars, he got his start making similar carts for the F-86 Sabre in the 50's.

Alright, I have it out of my system. Thanks for reading.

Top Bottom