• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: (D) Sen. Joe Manchin rules out Trump energy secretary appointment

Tripon

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) on Friday ruled himself out as the next energy secretary, quashing speculation President Donald Trump might nominate him to run the Energy Department and have the governor of West Virginia, a newly minted Republican, appoint a Republican senator.

The plan, floated last week in a Bloomberg News report, could have given the GOP one more vote for its stalled bill to repeal and replace Obamacare.
The current energy secretary, Rick Perry, is considered a contender to succeed White House chief of staff John Kelly as head of the Department of Homeland Security.

http://www.politico.com/joe-manchin-no-energy-secretary

Well, at least the White House wasn't shy on why they wanted Manchin to join the administration.

Alucrid

Banned
does rick perry know fuck all about his department to be as well?

wait, did john kelly get fired?

no

kelly = department of homeland security -> chief of staff
perry = department of energy -> department of homeland security

manchin was supposed to replace perry at the doe

ApharmdX

Banned
I for one am glad to see that even Joe Manchin has limits to the extent that he'll betray the Democratic Party.

Zolo

I for one am glad to see that even Joe Manchin has limits to the extent that he'll betray the Democratic Party.

It's gotten to the point where being considered too much of a Trump supporter even in Congress is considered bad for your future.

"Conservative Democrat" does not mean "chronic backstabber."

Manchin has always been very forward with the issues he disagrees with the Democrats on, as well as the reasons why he's a Democrat. He's not Lieberman.

Do Better

Shouldn't be able to remove a congressman like this and have him replaced with a member of another party who wasn't voted in. Just another loop hole waiting to be exploited

ApharmdX

Banned
"Conservative Democrat" does not mean "chronic backstabber."

Manchin has always been very forward with the issues he disagrees with the Democrats on, as well as the reasons why he's a Democrat. He's not Lieberman.

That's fair enough. Better the knife in your front...

snap

Banned
yo trump just do the easy thing--find a college professor, or, hell, a CEO of some energy company, and just make them head of the DoE. It's not hard! like I understand you and your group of knuckleheads don't even know what the DoE does, but getting someone who does--even one who would favor fossil fuels over green energy--would be far, far superior than whatever crony you want to put in that position.

Top Bottom