• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Mortem: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Chiggs

One part that really ticked me off was the
multi-stage Shoggoth fight, especially those jumping puzzles around the flailing toxic tentacles.

mcgarrett

XHitoshuraX said:
Unfortunately these threads don't seem too popular with the mods as none of them have ever commented on one....hmmm

I just dont have the time to set up a website now..../sigh
You could set up a down and dirty blog. I'd love it if more sites took this sort of substantive approach to game writing, as opposed to simply regurgitating rumors from other sites and fanning the fires of the console wars.

I need to give this game another try, I never made it very far the first time.

Xater

(neutral) XHitoshuraX
Thread of awesomenes creator
(Today, 07:21 PM)
Reply | Quote

Seriously it has to happen!

I never got around to play this game sadly. I always wanted to rent it but somehow it never happened. Does it work with Xbox 360 BC? Maybe then I will get around to play it.

mcgarrett said:
You could set up a down and dirty blog. I'd love it if more sites took this sort of substantive approach to game writing, as opposed to simply regurgitating rumors from other sites and fanning the fires of the console wars.

I need to give this game another try, I never made it very far the first time.

A blog?

Xater said:
(neutral) XHitoshuraX
Thread of awesomenes creator
(Today, 07:21 PM)
Reply | Quote

Seriously it has to happen!

Would be nice! lol Like I said, Mod=Hate ma threads.

EDIT: Shit, sorry for the double post, meant to be an edit >.<!!!

oo Kosma oo said:
I almost bought this one during the summer, but it was the Polish language version, and while I speak Polish and would do fine, I refuse to play localized versions. I almost brought back the Dutch (speak dutch too) version of Viva Pinata back to the store too because the Dutch voices were killing me.

I promise to buy it when I see the English version though.
You didn't know you could've changed the location of your Xbox 360 to United Kingdom (for instance) and thus change the language the characters in Viva Piñata spoke?

Just saying, though I didn't have any problems with Dutch dubs oddly enough.

Ledsen

Ok, OT, but... did you really not know what a blog is? How have you managed to avoid them? To put it in the context of this forum, it's like saying "Mario... who?". Only way you'd be able to avoid them is by not reading newspapers or surfing the web much for the last five years (not bashing you in any way, just find it interesting!)... oh and to stay a bit on-topic, this thread still rocks :D

Ledsen said:
Ok, OT, but... did you really not know what a blog is? How have you managed to avoid them? To put it in the context of this forum, it's like saying "Mario... who?". Only way you'd be able to avoid them is by not reading newspapers or surfing the web much for the last five years (not bashing you in any way, just find it interesting!)... oh and to stay a bit on-topic, this thread still rocks :D

Well I know what a blog is lol But the one plus that Neogaf has is that it reaches so many people. Its not right to advertise for ones blog here so I'm not sure the reception would be so warm...

Ledsen

XHitoshuraX said:
Well I know what a blog is lol But the one plus that Neogaf has is that it reaches so many people. Its not right to advertise for ones blog here so I'm not sure the reception would be so warm...

Ah, alright then :) Well you're right, NeoGaf has many advantages, the foremost being the thousands of people who may read and discuss your post... of course, chances are it'll fall into oblivion (page 2 and on) in a few hours, never to be seen again :(

toneroni

wow nice thread! must have taken a LOT of time. Seems like the game had a lot of potential. Is it BC? probably not eh.

I was wondering about the BC issues too. I still have my Xbox, but I'd have to drag it out. Wonder if I can find this game in town.

Is there a way to combine this type of thread with the 1up Board's Squadron of Shame? We would play through the game together and share commentary about it. If nothing else, doing so would help smooth over the 'rough spots' that keep games like this in the dark, e.g., game-ending crashes.

The SoS is about the only thing worth copying from 1up at the moment, I think, and I'd kind of like to bring it to life in some form here--although maybe it would be best to wait until after the Fall Deluge of Games.

crowphoenix said:
I was wondering about the BC issues too. I still have my Xbox, but I'd have to drag it out. Wonder if I can find this game in town.

Actually, its completely BC :D

Captain Glanton said:
Is there a way to combine this type of thread with the 1up Board's Squadron of Shame? We would play through the game together and share commentary about it. If nothing else, doing so would help smooth over the 'rough spots' that keep games like this in the dark, e.g., game-ending crashes.

The SoS is about the only thing worth copying from 1up at the moment, I think, and I'd kind of like to bring it to life in some form here--although maybe it would be best to wait until after the Fall Deluge of Games.

You'd have to ask 1up about that lol

White Man

3rdman said:
Nice post and nice game...for me though, it devolved rather quickly after the opening atmospheric hours. At some point it simply stopped being scary and became just another shooter. All in all, I'd give a 7 but the first few hours its definitely a 9.

Yep. The 9 sounds right for the first few hours, with those amazing scripted sequences. Afterwards, well, I think a 7 might be a few points generous.

The OP is great, but I really doubt that anyone but Lovecraft devotees played this game in the first place.

Anyway, the first few hours are so good that I really, honestly would not mind if someone just made a first person simulation of a bunch of Lovecraft stories. No action necessary, just nice scripting and acceptable acting. lovecraft stories are great little pieces of atmosphere, but so few of them have the narrative weight to make good movies or television episodes. . .or video games. I think the best thing an intrepid developer could do for fans would be to make the stories little 3d museums. Let us walk through and experience them. That's basically what the best bits of this game were. No gameplay, just a bit of interactivity with some great scripting. These stories are public domain, so feasibly anyone could do this, too. Come on homebrew people!

Barnolde

Banned
crowphoenix said:

They actually patched it again to fix issues when it was first made BC, so it should run a lot better now than it ever did before. Too bad it's not 16:9 :(

Chiggs

White Man said:
Yep. The 9 sounds right for the first few hours, with those amazing scripted sequences. Afterwards, well, I think a 7 might be a few points generous.

Agreed, but I really enjoyed the last level. It was just perfect...the way it looked...the way it sounded. Everything about it was cool. Loved the final boss, too.

White Man said:

The OP is great, but I really doubt that anyone but Lovecraft devotees played this game in the first place.

Anyway, the first few hours are so good that I really, honestly would not mind if someone just made a first person simulation of a bunch of Lovecraft stories. No action necessary, just nice scripting and acceptable acting. lovecraft stories are great little pieces of atmosphere, but so few of them have the narrative weight to make good movies or television episodes. . .or video games. I think the best thing an intrepid developer could do for fans would be to make the stories little 3d museums. Let us walk through and experience them. That's basically what the best bits of this game were. No gameplay, just a bit of interactivity with some great scripting. These stories are public domain, so feasibly anyone could do this, too. Come on homebrew people!

Thats a good idea actually.

EDIT: I think I need a Lovecraftian title now lol

trejo

Now this is how you do a Post Mortem thread! My hat is off to you, sir.

Now just one question. Is this game backwards compatible with the 360? Because if so, I shall definitely get it after my eventual purchase of one.

trejo said:
Now this is how you do a Post Mortem thread! My hat is off to you, sir.

Now just one question. Is this game backwards compatible with the 360? Because if so, I shall definitely get it after my eventual purchase of one.

Yes please see above...it most certainly is!

Barnolde said:
They actually patched it again to fix issues when it was first made BC, so it should run a lot better now than it ever did before. Too bad it's not 16:9 :(

I noticed that too...

May this thread rest in peace :)

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Any word on what the former employees of Headfirst are doing now?
I'd love another game from those people some how.

As a fan of Lovecraft and also of this game, I say that this is a great thread. I had a lot of issues with the game, but none of them stopped me from finishing it. I'd so love to see another try this generation.

White Man said:

It would be so fucking great if someone did this with 'The Outsider' or 'At the Mountains of Madness'.

Hmmm, Valve should do it. Or maybe Lucasarts, as a proper adventure.

Cool thread.

CoC is such a frustrating game. Everything about it feels almost right but slightly unfinished/rushed. It was worth the $20 I paid for it for sure, but Eternal Darkness gets the spirit of Lovecraft right where CoC falls slightly short, in my opinion.

I love the point-and-click adventure game feeling CoC had, though. I was disappointed there weren't even more puzzles. I would love to see another game with a similar interface.

I feel awkward bumping this but has anyone played this on Windows 7 or 8 and managed to make it past that trap door in the house at the start of the game? Every time I get there the game crashes (Steam version).

I try to play this every year and I can never manage to get past this part. I'm going to end up in a Lovecraftian asylum if I can't solve this someday.

GavinUK86

I was confused when this popped up on the new thread twitter but now I see why.

Anyway, it works for me on Windows 7. Played it all the way through a while ago. I don't think I did anything in particular to get it working.

Wiktor

Loved the initial levels. Halfway through it degenerated into pure generic FPS, which was dissapointing, but that escape section early on is still to me one of the very best sequences in any FPS:

f0lken

No videogame level has pumped my adrenaline level like the Innsmouth hotel, I have it on OG Xbox, I think its time to replay it, one of the best horror games ever

Top Bottom