• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus Revenue Is on the Up Following 2022's Multi-Tiered Overhaul

makaveli60

Let’s check this again in 1-2 years. After the price hike I let it run out. Didn’t worth it for me anymore, and I guess there are quite a lot of similar cases.

Mahavastu

On a related note, who buys services like PS+ and Gamepass at full MSRP? It's always better to wait for sales. Sony has always done a minimum of two significant sales for years--one around Days Of Play and the other around Black Friday. If you're paying top asking price for these kinds of subs, you're doing it wrong.
Sony learned a few things over time.
At the last sale at black friday I think you could buy the cheaper options ONLY at the Playstation online store, and ONLY if you did not have it before or if you want to upgrade.
So for most people buying it for the discounted price was not possible.

Sony learned a few things over time.
At the last sale at black friday I think you could buy the cheaper options ONLY at the Playstation online store, and ONLY if you did not have it before or if you want to upgrade.
So for most people buying it for the discounted price was not possible.
Pretty sure they reversed course on this. I do recall a situation like what you are describing last June during the Days Of Play sale, but in November I was able to re-up my Premium sub for another year for $120 as opposed to the $160 MSRP.

DeepSpace5D

Unfortunately that's not always the case. The recent release of Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare lacks trophies and any improvements (for instance there are still loadings between screens). I'm not going to pay 10$ just for being able to run the game on PS4/PS5, there needs to be at least minimum effort in making it better.
True, generally all the first-party classic titles have trophy support while the third-party titles do not.

But does Alone in the Dark not at least have features like smoothed visuals, various screen filters and aspect ratios, ability to remap controls to your choosing, rewind feature, and save anywhere? These are mainly the quality of life improvements I was referring to. All of the classics I’ve played so far had these features at a minimum. But I haven’t tried Alone in the Dark Yet.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Yeah based on the PS5 gameplay it has the resolution and saving features, pretty cool actually to be able to save & rewind "for free".

Not improving on issues like freezing the game for a second any time it needs to change the camera angle still sucks.

Last edited:
Until people realize the value is complete ass. I’m letting my shit expire in June…cool, it was panic buying in on a larger scale than the last Netflix sub boost. They are going to be ultra worried when shit catches up to them in a year or so after people stacked memberships for cheap a year and a half ago. Better start dropping better shit than ftp Destiny 2 DLC if they want people to keep buying in. To me, as a lifelong ps plus fan and subscriber since the beginning, I’m out. Shit is trash and no longer worth what they are asking…and not even close.
If you are a hardcore gamer that has been playing for many years, it probably isn't worth it. For newcomers or casual gamers with long backlogs, it is an incredible deal. There are thousands of hours of A+ level content on there. I can only imagine PS+ or Gamepass as a 12 year old kid. It would be so overwhelming

Last edited:

GHound

Let’s check this again in 1-2 years. After the price hike I let it run out. Didn’t worth it for me anymore, and I guess there are quite a lot of similar cases.
Running the numbers back again I don't see any equation that doesn't lead to the conclusion that they've lost subscribers over the past year.

Because people are still members.
Well people are forced to pay if they want to play online, not to mention there are people like me who upgraded to premium with the expectation that there would be a nice classic game library release steadily, which hasn’t happened, so once my sub expires I will downgrade.

^Agreed.

They are following same mistakes with Xbox and Gamepass. Nintendo and steam are set for this current/next generation. Which is a good thing; once PlayStation is humbled they will be forced to adapt again ala ps3 to ps4 .
Nintendo is doing the same shit, including tiered access.

That said unless they add something really cool like native PS2 and PS3 games I'll let my Premium sub expire in October 2025 and just stay on with Essential. I honestly don't think I've even played anything on the Extra catalog.

Last edited:
So, people are happy with it still even after a price hike.

I wouldn't say I'm happy with it but I mean it's $135 a year. Am I really going to throw a fit over that much money? I'm sure some people will. I know what it's like to live pay check to pay check but the reality is it's not that much money. It's like $11 a month. Every once in a while my friends are playing some random MP game and it happens to be on there so I get my worth out of it eventually. Most recently Deceit 2 we played for a bit.

So when I renewed my sub I thought of just sticking with essentials and just realize it doesn't really matter much and signed up for plus.

Last edited:

Generic

Pretty sure they reversed course on this. I do recall a situation like what you are describing last June during the Days Of Play sale, but in November I was able to re-up my Premium sub for another year for $120 as opposed to the $160 MSRP.
Still not reversed, most subscribers didn't get a discount during the last Black Friday. I'm waiting for the next Days of Play...

Cyberpunkd

Because people are still members.
Every subscription service relies heavily on people not remembering their subscription and letting it lapse / have a separate charge. This is the reason all subscription services ever have automatic renewals cooked in by default.

Cyberpunkd

I wouldn't say I'm happy with it but I mean it's $135 a year. Am I really going to throw a fit over that much money? I'm sure some people will. I know what it's like to live pay check to pay check but the reality is it's not that much money. It's like $11 a month.
$11 here, $11 there adds up. I wouldn’t be surprised there is a business psychology research papers somewhere on this subject.

Calculate all your monthly subscriptions together - might not be you, but I’m pretty sure there are many people having a total in four figure range per year.

$11 here, $11 there adds up. I wouldn’t be surprised there is a business psychology research papers somewhere on this subject.

Calculate all your monthly subscriptions together - might not be you, but I’m pretty sure there are many people having a total in four figure range per year.

Yea I guess that's true but you're correct it's not me. I'm stingy as hell with everything except games. I just recently got a guy to mow our lawn after 8 years because I just can't do the yard work shit anymore. My wife on the other hand has sub after sub. I built a media server where we can download any show we want. Also connected to my friends media server who downloads damn near everything that's on TV right now. She still wont cancel her disney+, Hulu, or netflix.

Top Bottom