• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Store should make it possible to search/sort by developer/publisher

Should PS Store make it easier to get an overview of games by the same developer?

• Yes, it would be good

Votes: 26 86.7%
  • No, it's unnecessary

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

skit_data

I recently realized I'm sorely missing a feature from PS Store:

Having the developers name (and/or publishers, but it's more important for developers IMO) be a searchable tag, page or at least make it possible to easily get an overview of their previous games available for purchase.

Steam already has it, for both developers and publishers. Great way of doing it, on full display on a games store page.
It's really quite simple. See how for example Spotify works. Click on the artist and you get taken to an overview by other work by the same artist.

The benefit for developers, small or big, should be pretty obvious. Again, imagine Spotify not having this feature, it would be very hard to find other stuff from the same artist if search results were only based on song titles.

It's possible this is harder to implement than it seems (similar to how changing name on PSN was tied to the lowest level infrastructure of everyones PSN-IDs) but I'd love to see how many think this would be a valuable addition. Hopefully it brings some visibility to it that may inspire them to implement it.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
If you are ready for this
playstation-store-wont-load-1.jpg

skit_data

If you are ready for this
playstation-store-wont-load-1.jpg
It's a lot snappier nowadays than earlier, at least on PS5. Visiting PS Store on PS3 on the other hand... oh boy. It was slow at the time but now it's just torture in pretty much all aspects. Using vertical rows of letters when you're using search is just impressively bad design.

skit_data

I'm not sure how and what they should do, but finding games on the PS Store is awful. I can type in a relatively close name of the game and it won't find it. They need to do something about it that's for sure.
Yeah, it's very very specific down to the letter. I think having developer pages would alleviate some frustration in this aspect too, because if you can't remember/correctly spell a games name you would be able to find the game either by searching for the developer or accessing an overview via a game made by the same developer.

Guilty_AI

Ps store is awful for finding anything in general, I don't think you can even sort by genre. Its so bad the usual recommendation i see for discovering games in it is "Search the game on Steam then type it into the ps store"

Last edited:
Search and purchase through the app. Use rest mode to tell your PS to download the game, or just search it on the console store after purchase and click download.

Last edited:

Aenima

PS Store could use a TAG system, kinda like Steam has. With the ability to pick multiple tags to filter what you wanted in a much more efecient way. Actually not having tools like those in a store is leaving money on the table cuz alot more ppl could be discovering some hidden gems based on tags they like.

Sony and Playstation does alot of things right, but the PS Store has always been lacking. Is not terrible like the PS3 days, where it was super slow, but thers still alot of other things that could be improved just to be on par with some other stores.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Ps store holds its own against estore, steam and Xbox marketplace.
Have you never had to search for an alpha or beta for a game? Or even a demo? There have been occasions where content on the store is unfindable, and you're forced to search via a web browser to claim the content onto your account. Steam is leaps and bounds more efficient than the PS store, I wouldn't compare the two. Not sure how it functions on PS5, but my experience with it on PS3/4 haven't been exactly smooth in the past.

skit_data

Absolutely. I honestly never knew the store lacked that feature.
First time I noticed it was when I was searching for Housemarques previous games after playing Returnal back when it released. I got reminded again today when I saw Alienation was in PS Extra and thinking "Hmm isn't that a Housemarque game too?".

Well I had to once again use my phone to find a list of their released games because Housemarque isn't even mentioned anywhere on the games store page.
It was mostly that last thing that made me post the thread because I found it pretty crazy tbh.

Edit: Ok, it's actually mentioned in the form of copyright-related stuff on the bottom of its description. Still though.

Last edited:

Three

The search features and categories on library and the store are abysmal on the PS4. On the PS5 they are a little more streamlined but still not good. I mean why isn't there a PSVR category in the library but there is in the store? It makes no sense.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The search features and categories on library and the store are abysmal on the PS4. On the PS5 they are a little more streamlined but still not good. I mean why isn't there a PSVR category in the library but there is in the store? It makes no sense.
Didn't they add that? You can select PSVR and it filters games based on that. Pretty sure I seen that in library.

Three

Didn't they add that? You can select PSVR and it filters games based on that. Pretty sure I seen that in library.

On the PS5 it's better streamilined and you get Platform and VR choices on the sort/filter button as well as being able to switch between your library and the store. On PS4 though you get very little options to filter and searching for VR only brings up titles with VR in the name.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
On the PS5 it's better streamilined and you get Platform and VR choices on the sort/filter button as well as being able to switch between your library and the store. On PS4 though you get very little options to filter and searching for VR only brings up titles with VR in the name.
Ooooh, you were talking about the PS4, that makes sense. Mine has been retired to the box it came in.

Aenima

Ps store is awful for finding anything in general, I don't think you can even sort by genre. Its so bad the usual recommendation i see for discovering games in it is "Search the game on Steam then type it into the ps store"
You can search the games by genre.

When you open the PS Store using a PS5, you can click the tab "Explore", then you will see a dropdown icon on the top left side. Clicking in that icon, gives u access to all the search filters available.
You can search by price, genre, platform (PS4 or PS5), release date, Virtual Reality and age rating.

Three

Ooooh, you were talking about the PS4, that makes sense. Mine has been retired to the box it came in.
Yeah, I'm currently abroad and didn’t realise how many small but useful changes there were to the PS5 UI vs using the PS4. The PS5 categories could do with improving too though. Like adding options to filter for local multiplayer support, coop games etc. The filters and search options are still somewhat limited.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, I'm currently abroad and didn’t realise how many small but useful changes there were to the PS5 UI vs using the PS4. The PS5 categories could do with improving too though. Like adding options to filter for local multiplayer support, coop games etc. The filters and search options are still somewhat limited.
Having their store and online system integrated and streamlined across the entire dashboard has been a much more welcoming experience than I thought it would be, initially. The QoL features are very nice, and very responsive/snappy.

Should be able to search or see relating games by Franchise as well.

If I look up God of War Ragnarok, I should be able to see God of War and God of War 3 Remastered, and God of War Collection e.t.c.

It's almost as if Sony wants to make it more difficult to find specific games because they want control over what people are seeing and spending money on. They promote the games they want to promote.

Dorago

I recently realized I'm sorely missing a feature from PS Store:

Having the developers name (and/or publishers, but it's more important for developers IMO) be a searchable tag, page or at least make it possible to easily get an overview of their previous games available for purchase.

Steam already has it, for both developers and publishers. Great way of doing it, on full display on a games store page.
It's really quite simple. See how for example Spotify works. Click on the artist and you get taken to an overview by other work by the same artist.

The benefit for developers, small or big, should be pretty obvious. Again, imagine Spotify not having this feature, it would be very hard to find other stuff from the same artist if search results were only based on song titles.

It's possible this is harder to implement than it seems (similar to how changing name on PSN was tied to the lowest level infrastructure of everyones PSN-IDs) but I'd love to see how many think this would be a valuable addition. Hopefully it brings some visibility to it that may inspire them to implement it.

Agree. I was trying to see which Final Fantasy games it actually has but once you get past the first five name match entries it starts given "suggestions" i.e. irrelevant items.

And don't get me started on years of release vs year of original publication.

saintjules

Might be a good idea, but then I think about a majority of players, specifically casual ones don't really pay attention to names of devs and publishers.

Gorgon

There's lots of things the store should do better, like adding a game from the game catalogue to your library without having to start and then cancel a download, or allowing to buy a game as a gift to a friend on PS. It could also memorise the settings for viewing your library etc instead of you having to change it every time you check. The list goes on and on.

Top Bottom