• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR Listed For $800 On Amazon Canada Pre-Order Page (Link removed)

Maddanth

No way it will be that much. . That would be almost 3x the price of the console in Canada. Didn't they say it would be around the price of a console? This would be way to much.

Portugeezer

Is Sony in a financial position to sell something at a loss?

They can sell it cheaper than it costs because they will continue to make money from VR games. That said, we don't know how much the actual tech in PS VR costs, but from what I understand the tech itself should cost less than the Oculus.

Dr.Acula

Banned
It's like joking about a threesome.

"Haha, 800 dollars, that was just a placeholder! Unless... you're into that kinda thing? I'm kidding! See, it's not even listed anymore."

Elandyll

Banned
Assuming there would be a bundle option as well, that would be 4 different SKUs for PSVR... I don't see that happening.
Imo there won't be an official bundle (too expensive and would send the wrong message from a PR sense. Retailers might though), and the move bundle is unlikely.

Which would leave 2 SKUs, one with camera (and a game?) and one without.

As per selling at loss regarding what some others have posted, they are already saying they won't be priced for profit.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015/11/sony_not_looking_to_profit_with_playstation_vr_hardware

Hey "Forbes", since you were copying/pasting everything you read here, do include this preorder cancellation message too, which happened almost 15 minutes after the page went down. You weren't there when it did so its understandable!

------------

We recently discovered an error that caused the following item(s) to be displayed at an incorrect price:

PlayStation VR - PlayStation 4

In this case, we’re unable to offer this item for the incorrectly posted price(s). Therefore, we’ve cancelled your order for the item(s), and you haven’t been charged.

At any given time, despite our best efforts, a small number of the millions of items on our site may be mispriced. We're very sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

We hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.ca

-------------

Thanks, "Forbes"! You're welcome, "Forbes"!

GAF > Mom's Spaghetti > "Forbes" > GAF

Honestly, There are no games for PSVR that I'm excited about.

I hope they do what blue rays started doing, where they give you the dvd,blue ray, 3d blue ray version.

I would buy a PSVR if the last guardian came out on PSVR and you could play it on PS4 without the virtual reality element as well.

otherwise I feel that PSVR will simply be full of small 99.cents apps on the ps store.
and like 5 good quality titles every year after release.

0racle

There is no way.

People need to start thinking logically.

The rift is the cream of the crop, top of the line VR offering with various things included in the 599 pricepoint.

Sony will deliver a more consumer friendly vr option that will deliver vr to the mass market. There is no room for two or more devices at premium prices for a market that does not exist.

That sounds reasonable. Mine would be $349 just for headset. I'll buy it at $399 but anything more than they can go eff themselves.

Yeah. Don't forget that the OR is subsidized by the user via their PC build. PSVR requires an external box.

They can sell it cheaper than it costs because they will continue to make money from VR games. That said, we don't know how much the actual tech in PS VR costs, but from what I understand the tech itself should cost less than the Oculus.

I've posted some stuff on this, but for the licensing fee model to work you need to sell a shit ton of games to make it up. With the small expected install base for a first generation product, the liklihood of making it all back is fairly low.

Numbers aren't exact, but I think the console manufacturer makes around $7 to $8 per $60 game via licensing fees. If you cut it by $100 you need to sell 14 games to each person with the headset to make it up on the backend. This ignores trying to make money back on the R&D. This will be a really small market so you would rather price this thing at BE at a minimum so you aren't further in the hole at the beginning.

The clue is in the wording. If it was likely to be the same price or less than a console, they would have said "no more than...". Instead they said "Around the price of...", which suggests to me it'll be more expensive than the PS4 at launch.

Ah Interesting. Never thought of it that way.

To be honest, even if they price it at $800 - it wont be like they wont get sales. I think even I would still get it. But if they want to make this a success, they need to price it around $400.

jaypah

I can't believe this is even a thing. Well yeah I can but it's ridiculous. There is no way in hell that Sony would charge that much. It would make zero sense with what they have going on. Zero. Plus what would push the price that high? I admit I'm not in a position to do a full parts tear down of the PSVR but come on!

Shin-Ra

Old Sony would have the balls to charge that much, but not current Sony.
How old are we talking?

Sony_1955.svg

If Sony price's the PSVR more than the Oculus Rift, they're gonna get raped by the media and GAF will explode. I mean, they will have to be prepared PR wise to answer the million of questions relating the price, especially since it's an inferrior product to OR.

The thing is, Sony are having huge momentum right now with the PS4, they need to play their cards right in order to keep that momentum going.

Elandyll

Banned
So once converted to USD it's cheaper than Rift?
No.

Based on the shortly available Amazon page (which again was confirmed to be a mistake from both Sony and Amazon), it would roughly be at least $300 more expensive, based on the PSVR listing being headset alone, and Rift being Headset+Camera+remote+controller+headphones.

Which is why it was visibly BS even before the official PA.

Reminder: The PSVR has 1x 1080p OLED pannel (Rift has 2 of higher res), Sony is a BIG consumer of OLED pannels (economy of scale) and designs AV tech and optics by trade, and doesn't need to include a camera (common ps4 $60 accessory) or controller (DS4 comes with every PS4).

The clue is in the wording. If it was likely to be the same price or less than a console, they would have said "no more than...". Instead they said "Around the price of...", which suggests to me it'll be more expensive than the PS4 at launch.
I thought they said they would price it like a console, inferring that they won't expect to make money on the hardware itself and instead make it through services and software?

Sony know that they will have enough of a hard time selling the device anyway due to vr being 'new' (they said they expect around 1.5 million the first year iirc) so to add a price that mimics their biggest pricing failure to date (PS3, even thought I was actually worth more than it cost) would be even worse.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Plot twist: OP is actually the Forbes contributor and linked to his shitty ass article for more clicks.

At least learn from Canada-GAF; common sense goes a long way.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Hey "Forbes", since you were copying/pasting everything you read here, do include this preorder cancellation message too, which happened almost 15 minutes after the page went down. You weren't there when it did so its understandable!

------------

We recently discovered an error that caused the following item(s) to be displayed at an incorrect price:

PlayStation VR - PlayStation 4

In this case, we’re unable to offer this item for the incorrectly posted price(s). Therefore, we’ve cancelled your order for the item(s), and you haven’t been charged.

At any given time, despite our best efforts, a small number of the millions of items on our site may be mispriced. We're very sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

We hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.ca

-------------

Thanks, "Forbes"! You're welcome, "Forbes"!

GAF > Mom's Spaghetti > "Forbes" > GAF

I think you should relax a little bit more

Fisty

Sony could definitely sell PSVR at a loss, yes it will be for the hardcore PS fanbase at first but look at what the hardcore fanbase did for the Vita's software attach rate. As long as Sony pushes mostly digital software for it, i dont think it would take long at all for them to break even or possibly even make a profit if selling sub $400.

The Sony of 2012 couldnt afford to sell at a loss, the Sony of 2016 can more easily take a small hit upfront and rake in those license fees.

While I think that's a placeholder, and I'm pretty sure it'll be closer to 400-500, I do think Sony will have to do some damage control and release the price sooner than they planned though. This, while being removed and Sony already commenting on it, will beging to deter and have fans speculating and lose faith. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a price window from them soon.

Sigh.

Lets wait for official info.

You and your logic.

Funny thing is, that people in the first two pages have shown that retailers tend to exaggerate the cost by quite a few dollars. If evidence was not enough to reduce the complaining I doubt anything short of official info in a month or two will.

I'm absolutely certain this won't be the final price, placeholders aren't reliable at all,

But then again, that was a strangely specific placeholder. Usually they put it at $X99 or $XX99, but $1125.35 Canadian looks less likely like an arbitrary price, unless they took it off their ass.

elohel

Some people pay like 6-800 a year for phones why is it so hard to believe that people would be willing to drop that on something that augments what they do in new ways?

I don't think the pricing is as far fetched as the projected sales

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
Placeholder price. It's guaranteed the PSVR will be priced lower than this. People believe it are out of their minds

Not a chance it's more than Rift, my guess is PSVR is going to be around $400 / £349 (any higher and it's a non starter) and it will probably launch around June, alongside No Man's Sky, which will be a VR launch game.

Top Bottom