• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR2 to add PC support in 2024 (currently in testing)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Considering the index works using a wall wart and usb/displayport connections, it wouldn’t really be all that crazy since hardware is kind of Sonys forte. I think you are probably right it is most likely steam link for ps5 or something though. Like you say I think the problem is more one of investment on Sonys part, not really any technical roadblock.
Yes. Why cough up the investment when you already have hardware that can do the job.

AREYOUOKAY?

Does this mean Playstation is leaving the console business, too?
Well it’s maybe gonna prevent this hardware from becoming the VR equivalent of an expensive Sega Genesis add-on flop.

If they had done the same with the VR1 it could have had even more sales and software support.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

PSVR2-PC_02-22-24-768x432.jpg

Sony Interactive Entertainment is currently testing PC support for its PlayStation VR2 headset with plans to launch in 2024, the company announced.

In a PlayStation Blog post featuring updates on upcoming PlayStation VR2 games, Sony Interactive Entertainment content communications manager Gillen McAllister said, “We’re pleased to share that we are currently testing the ability for PlayStation VR2 players to access additional games on PC to offer even more game variety in addition to the PlayStation VR2 titles available through PlayStation 5. We hope to make this support available in 2024, so stay tuned for more updates.”

Further details were not announced.

Ridiculous it wasn't there day 1 but when it happens I'm selling in the rift s and getting one

Rudius

It wouldn't be acting as an adapter. It would be doing decoder work for the stream, powering the headset and sending inputs to the pc.
Still it should not pull the same 200w as when running a PS5 game. It should be like using the PSVR2 to watch YouTube videos.

Rudius

Well it’s maybe gonna prevent this hardware from becoming the VR equivalent of an expensive Sega Genesis add-on flop.

If they had done the same with the VR1 it could have had even more sales and software support.
PSVR1 works for Steam VR. It's not supported by Sony, but the IVRY driver is good enough. However I can only recommend in for racers, flight simulators and similar kinds of games that don't require proper VR controllers.

AREYOUOKAY?

PSVR1 works for Steam VR. It's not supported by Sony, but the IVRY driver is good enough. However I can only recommend in for racers, flight simulators and similar kinds of games that don't require proper VR controllers.
Is that another pay if you wanna use it thing? Either way I meant official drivers from Sony themselves.

Last edited:

MScarpa

Maybe this is their escape hatch out of lack of sales or PS5 VR support... but I'm cool with this outcome over collecting dust.
I think you're spot on. I knew when i purchased it, it was a waste of money but whatever. I was so disappointed with the lack of quality compared to the meta 3

Tunned

Hell yes! I am waiting for the Index 2, whenever that will come out, I might as well pick up a PSVR2 headset, use it a bit with the PS5, and then on glorious PC when available.

Leonidas

Damn, after reading up on Meta Quest 3 it seems like I might be better off going that route instead. It can be used wirelessly and already has PCVR support.

I've waited this long for PCVR so I'll wait to see how PSVR2 turns out on PC, but I'm leaning towards the Quest 3 at the moment, maybe when PSVR2 is out I can get a better deal on Quest 3, its too bad PSVR2 can't be used wirelessly.

kungfuian

I'm really interested to see this up next to my Quest 3 running off the same rig for a proper comparison.

I think I prefer the larger sweet spot and wireless on the quest vs. the Oled and wired but I'd like to do an Apples for Apples comparison.

I loved my first PSVR and got the PSVR2 for the exclusives but at this point it's the only set I kinda regret grabbing. I thought Sony would really get behind the product with some solid 1st party efforts but they have shown the thing little to no love. Might end up using it more as a PCVR set at this point cause attached to my PS5 the thing is a dust collector. On PC it might be a great alternative to the Meta, only thing I can't imagine is the eye tracking will be enabled or how that will work. It would maybe need to be patched per game or just not work at all?

Also total side note; but am I the only one who thinks some of these VR sets have become more uncomfortable over time. Both the PSVR2 and Meta 3 required all kinds of 3rd party straps and pads and shit to make them even remotely comfortable, and even then they are hot, unbalanced/weighty feeling on my head, and both leave me with a fucking lobotomy scar on my forehead after about 30 minutes of play. I honestly preferred the comfort of my OG Vive with the standard straps, and that thing was a weighty beast in comparison; although I did replace the face shield with something softer and easer to clean now that I think about it.

Why is it so hard for them to make something comfortable? Would love to spend more time in VR but I usually tap out because it gets too hot or my head starts to feel like it's in a fucking vice. They need to make options for folks that aren't living in tiny bodies or pinheads.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Quest 3 is 85 nits at peak brightness, PSVR2 is 265. At 25% brightness PSVR2 outputs 100 nits, so you can just do that to decrease persistence.
Wait. Are you sure about those numbers?
I had Quest 2, Pico 4 and have PSVR2 and recently bought Quest 3 (dem sanctions!) and I'm pretty sure that Quest 3 is brighter than PSVR2. Sadly I don't have a PS5 right now to compare them directly.
Maybe 265 nits on PSVR2 is a max HDR brightness in 1-2% window and not fullscreen brightness?
Again I'm sure that Quest 3 is brightest of them all. I mean I never used my PSVR2 other than at max brightness and still it looked dim for me. I use my Quest 3 at 75-90% - anything above feels too bright and bit uncomfortable. (Also black levels are raised to much at max brightness.)

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Which is why Square needs to add in a VR mode to FF7 Rebirth for Tifa’s titties. 10+ million video views should convince just about any higher-up.

EX99xFX.gif

This model will be immediately ripped and put in Honeyselect 2/ whatever else the moment the PC version drops

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't understand this comment. Isn't the thread about making psvr2 work on pc without needing a ps5?

There's no proof of concept or wording that explicitly states it'll just connect right up to a PC. There's a few issues in place preventing it from doing so. So they'd likely need to release a dongle at a minimum.

Or just release a free app on the PS5 like Steam Link. Which would be a fully wired loop from the PC to PSVR2.

Until there's more details, while it may be preferable if it just connected to a PC with a USB cable, it's possible it may not be that.

Minsc

Gold Member
Except now you need a capable PC to play PCVR games. People are given the false impression that you can just play any PCVR on any PC which is not true.

PC VR hasn't really evolved much at all from Alyx. So what was bleeding edge 4 years ago, with the 1000 or 2000 series cards, is a fairly low level gaming PC now. Pretty much any 3000 series card or above gives great results over Virtual Desktop.

Even $1000 gaming laptops can run stuff like Alyx without trouble now (where a laptop costs significantly more than a desktop of the same speed).

But yes, if you only have something with no discreet GPU/graphics card, you will need to invest another $500+ in to a PC.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Anyone know if the people looking into using PSVR2 with PC were a part of the massive lay offs? Didn’t some of the VR teams get hit?

Leonidas

Except now you need a capable PC to play PCVR games. People are given the false impression that you can just play any PCVR on any PC which is not true.
Or you could get Meta Quest 3 which doesn't need a PC or console to play VR games. That's one of the huge benefits Meta Quest 3 has over PSVR2.

With PSVR2 you have to spend at least $1000 on a PS5 + PSVR2 (unless you buy used). Meta Quest 3 you can be playing games at only $500 (or less if used).

Neofire

Or you could get Meta Quest 3 which doesn't need a PC or console to play VR games. That's one of the huge benefits Meta Quest 3 has over PSVR2.

With PSVR2 you have to spend at least $1000 on a PS5 + PSVR2 (unless you buy used). Meta Quest 3 you can be playing games at only $500 (or less if used).
Why would I get a quest 3 when I have a ps5? I didn't get a psvr2 for my son just for support to be shifted to PC.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Why would I get a quest 3 when I have a ps5? I didn't get a psvr2 for my for support to be shifted to PC.
You wouldn't, but someone who doesn't have a PS5 or a capable PC could just get a Meta Quest 3 and not have to worry about additional hardware to get into VR gaming. Way cheaper than PSVR2 + PS5 combo.

I didn't get a psvr2 for my for support to be shifted to PC.
Who says support is shifting to PC? PC support is being added. PS5 is still getting PSVR2 support :messenger_sun:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
hold off a second on the praise. Sony wants a bigger footprint into PC games so this might just be a way for them to release their VR games on PC through their dedicated store. Probably will not work with PC VR games. Sony isn't doing this to help steam gamers.

Techies

I'm really interested to see this up next to my Quest 3 running off the same rig for a proper comparison.

I think I prefer the larger sweet spot and wireless on the quest vs. the Oled and wired but I'd like to do an Apples for Apples comparison.

I loved my first PSVR and got the PSVR2 for the exclusives but at this point it's the only set I kinda regret grabbing. I thought Sony would really get behind the product with some solid 1st party efforts but they have shown the thing little to no love. Might end up using it more as a PCVR set at this point cause attached to my PS5 the thing is a dust collector. On PC it might be a great alternative to the Meta, only thing I can't imagine is the eye tracking will be enabled or how that will work. It would maybe need to be patched per game or just not work at all?

Also total side note; but am I the only one who thinks some of these VR sets have become more uncomfortable over time. Both the PSVR2 and Meta 3 required all kinds of 3rd party straps and pads and shit to make them even remotely comfortable, and even then they are hot, unbalanced/weighty feeling on my head, and both leave me with a fucking lobotomy scar on my forehead after about 30 minutes of play. I honestly preferred the comfort of my OG Vive with the standard straps, and that thing was a weighty beast in comparison; although I did replace the face shield with something softer and easer to clean now that I think about it.

Why is it so hard for them to make something comfortable? Would love to spend more time in VR but I usually tap out because it gets too hot or my head starts to feel like it's in a fucking vice. They need to make options for folks that aren't living in tiny bodies or pinheads.
I have a biggish ground fan blowing upwards towards me all the time while wearing the Quest3. I cannot go without in the summer.

Neofire

You wouldn't, but someone who doesn't have a PS5 or a capable PC could just get a Meta Quest 3 and not have to worry about additional hardware to get into VR gaming. Way cheaper than PSVR2 + PS5 combo.

Who says support is shifting to PC? PC support is being added. PS5 is still getting PSVR2 support :messenger_sun:
Did you not see that Sony shut down one of its main VR studios and layoff a bunch at another VR developer?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Some background update

Sony released a firmware update for PS VR2 that seems to have greatly increased compatibility with PCs. I can now use the PS VR2 on my AMD 6900xt's USB-C port with a stock Linux kernel and no EDID override. They also seem to have enabled the VR 90Hz mode that didn't work before.

I had thought their advertised "PC compatibility is coming" meant an Air/Steam Link style solution streaming to PS5, but perhaps they are targetting direct connections in some scenarios. If so, I don't know how they plan to solve the controller connectivity / pairing issues, or hardware compatibility issues with the headset only working on specific USB-C ports.

Top Bottom