• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN has come a long way

Leonidas

PSN was better when the online play was free.
PSN was better when PS+ gave you 6 games a month vs. the 3 they do now for Essential...
PSN was better when you could win PSN credits for earning trophies in the old PlayStation Rewards program.
PSN was better that time when PS+ Extra went on sale for $60 for a year.

PSN for me sucks today. My Extra/Premium just expired and I refuse to pay $70-120 a year to get access to a library of games.

TexMex

All the comments about how confusing it is are so wild to me. Y’all are using this store in a much different capacity than I am I think. I type in the name of the game I want and I buy it. Often times right off my phone. Takes two seconds. Not sure what people are looking for.

You had 4:3 CRT in 2006?
You made it look older then it does 😂
klg3KOI.jpg
Call me crazy, but I really dug this layout. It was comfy and aesthetic in a Japanese sort of way. Never understood the naysayers who didn't like it.

spons

Gold Member
I don't have experience with the PS5 store, but on Xbox and Switch, the stores are all slow as balls. They feel like they are always loading something, poorly.

Does it still throw you out of the Plus section on the PS4? Have not tried for a while now, but it was a coin toss if the store would get into a restart loop or manage to actually display the included games from top to bottom.
Overall, I don't know, it still feels a bit like the slow EGS store compared to Steam.
I guess we won't have to use some unsorted download list like on Vita and PS3 anymore though? That was always a nightmare to find any claimed game if it wasn't anymore listed in the store with a direct download button.

My main issue is that they still have problems with licensing.
I had to contact support since eg. I could not add Mafia2 once it arrived on Essential after my license got stuck on expired after having played it on Premium.
Also I think I currently could not buy Back 4 Blood eg. It states I currently own another version. Which one? I don't own anything anyway, but the "owned" Extra license is expired, it left the service and does not let me start it?!? Just remove dead license infos from any active check and put it in some archive. duh?
Kinda limitless Essential licenses can be overwritten by rather limited Extra/Premium licenses. So even if you keep your subscription going but you accidentally activated an Extra license after having already claimed Essential you might lose that Essential game, since the newer license will be used. Can't happen super often, the step first on Essential later on Extra did not happen that much, but still.
You can easily find reddit threads about license problems and uncooperative support. Mind boggling that such a fundamental core feature has still not been figured out by Sony. My experience with support has been great in that area though so far. So at least that is fine and I don't think I actually have lost any claimed game so far. But I have not and won't check out of curiosity if everything is still accessible.

PSN on PC is a mess though. Sure, you can find every game, but there is no search function. Some reteared Big Picture + tablet mode always on or whatever the idea is. And making PS5 streaming exclusive for PS5 owners even though streaming is the main and only possible way to play anything if you happen to be actually just PC subscriber is dumb af. You anyway can't download any games, even if there exists some PC port, but excluding the most recent games alltogether for the same price is just a dick move. There are certainly not many such subscribers, but it is just weird. A game flat rate and streaming service were the downloadables are not included at all, and the streaming only partially there is a bit of a scam. They should just do a PC-tier that is limited to the PC client only, but for a lower price until the offer is not extended to be actually the same.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Call me crazy, but I really dug this layout. It was comfy and aesthetic in a Japanese sort of way. Never understood the naysayers who didn't like it.
I mean is it really that much different?
T9CpCPY.jpg

Navigation was the problem and speed

Portugeezer

Still garbage. I can't even change the region on my account, something Steam, Xbox, and even fucking Nintendo have been allowing me to do for the better part of a decade now, if not longer.

Needs a full overhaul.
When I contacted support over this, they said to make a new account for that region... Oh wow, great solution, so does my active PS+ sub carry over to that new account? Oh wow, it doesn't.

SkylineRKR

The 1.0 PS3 store was trash ofcourse, but the Xbox Live Store only had text back then. Nothing beat free online play however. I loved it. I played countless of hours BC2, Killzone 2, CoD4 and fighting games online without a sub at all.

Top Bottom