• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question: What do you want in an MMORPG?

I was planning on doing a comparison of upcoming MMORPG's, and to determine which game delivers the goods. To start with, I need to know what exactly people want in an MMORPG. What are the things you think are good in an MMO, and what don't you like, and why? Be objective. What aspects of the genre should be improved, and what parts should be reduced?

Living, breathing, immersive fantasy (fantasy meaning not real, not meaning SWARDS AND DRAGOONS).

Non-repetitive NPCs. Economy affected by player trades, etc. Lots of random events to keep the world fresh. Environment that's able to be...molded by player actions (read, If I chop into a tree, that chop'll still be there, things of that nature). Maybe some combat based on player skills, not on "paper skills" (think like a fighting game relies on player skills and your average RPG relies on paper skills, stats, etc. and the like).

All of these are really technically far off, but it's still what I'd like to see.

Edit: what should be removed? Zoned worlds, such as FFXI, RO, etc. Not one big continuous world, but sectioned up. Totally takes away from the immersion.

Also, the world must be fully able (within transportation limits) to be traversed by the player. No invisi-walls, no huge barriers of walls everywhere.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What Tre said, +

-Lots of progression opportunity. There has to be legitimately new stuff after 1-2 months of play.

-Variety. Difficult to easily min/max a character in a cut and dry fashion. Lots of real choices that affect the outcome of your abilities, but tweaked to the extent where while you can make "wrong" decisions for your character, they will only be such due to preference or how they tie to other attributes.

-Purty graphics. Has to be visually pleasing, or at least not disgustingly primitive.

-Large game world. I want to be able to explore. No randomly generated bullshit, and no 100 miles of empty space.

-Lax grouping restrictions. Don't penalize me significantly for being 1 level away from my groupmate. Ability to solo when you want to, without it being horrendously tedious. Encourage grouping from large enough level ranges that it minimizes...

-Down time. Little of it. No camping, no waiting 30 minutes to get your mana back, no clicking 5000 times for one trade skill up.

-Travel. Travel needs to be fun, but not super easy. There shouldn't be a teleport thingie every 5 feet. I want to be able to trek into the wilds and go see stuff few are willing to venture into...and new things should be added to keep the exploration sense fresh.

Realistically, it's hard to incorporate some of these concepts together with one another, and some things (like being able to "explore) are hampered significantly by MMO website guides, but *shrug*.

Dark & Light looks pretty cool, though it probably won't live up to 50% of the hype ;b

Tellaerin

What I want to see most in an MMORPG is more people who actually roleplay. :p When people run around saying stuff like 'STFU n00b', 'I want ur rarez!', etc., and constantly running off at the mouth about out-of-character topics like what they're watching on TV right now, it pretty much kills the mood. (I don't think that's the kind of answer you were looking for, but you did ask.)

ohamsie

I want to pay one flat rate for the game, and not have to pay monthly fees. If they want the extra money they can make expansion packs, that way I will feel like I'm actually paying for something worthwhile, rather than paying to play a game that I own.

Top Bottom