• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REI encourages customers to challenge Trump administration on public lands

The national outdoor retailer REI on Thursday emailed its customers encouraging them to challenge Department of the Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke's planned review of public lands.

Zinke has proposed plans to re-evaluate which public lands receive federal funding and retain a national monument classification.

The email comes a few days before the public comment period closes for Utah's Bears Ears National Monument, one of the parks Zinke's department is considering declassifying as a monument.

According to a report by CNN, the retailer, known for recreational outdoor equipment, told customers they were the "public" in "public lands" and should "tell Secretary Ryan Zinke why our public lands need to remain protected now and for future generations."

The email also linked to an REI website comment form that would be sent to the Department of the Interior.

Other outdoor retailers have hit the Trump administration's environmental and national monument policies in the past.

Outdoor-clothing maker Patagonia threatened to sue over an executive order calling for the Department of the Interior to review national monuments designated during Bill Clinton's, George W. Bush's and Barack Obama's presidencies.

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...ustomers-to-challenge-trump-administration-on

Jeff-DSA

The threat to public lands scares me deeply. I grew up camping, hunting, and fishing with my dad and brother and I still go fly fishing and camping regularly. I just spent a week in Yellowstone and taught my 8-year old how to fly fish.

Here in Utah, getting access to public lands has become harder and harder over the years. I won't get into the particulars, but things simply just aren't as easy as they used to be, and all signs point towards things getting worse. My kids love the outdoors, and it breaks my heart that public lands and access to them is shrinking right before my eyes.

Izayoi

Banned
Who needs beautiful, natural landscapes when we can have barren wastelands drained of all life by the capitalist machine?

THINK ABOUT THE ECONOMIC ANXIETY

I'm sure Zinke is shaking in his boots. These GOP fucks don't care they want to kill people with their healthcare bill and use public lands for their profit. A strongly worded comment card isn't going to do shit.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
REI is great. You leave their stores feeling like exploring the earth. I can definitely see why they would do this.

Top Bottom