• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rent control seems to create more problems that it solves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
^^

The bay area is not even close to Manhattan in terms of density, and hell, even Manhattan could and would be more dense(and was in the past) if it were more feasible to build at scale there.

A house is a terrible investment even with the mortgage interest deduction and the restrictive zoning laws and other regulations that arbitrary inflate prices by restricting supply. Without government protectionism, real estate is a pretty poor investment, especially in jurisdictions with high property taxes.

Housing is clearly not the 'best and most viable' investment vehicle in an era of low cost index funds, but really it wasn't even a good investment in the old era of blue chip stock investing.

Definitely true in Texas. My property taxes are nearly rent for a 1 bedroom apartment .

entremet

can't emphasize this enough

it's fucking baffling that people continue to think this way

I'm not a huge house guy, but houses do a couple things are very attractive for the middle class.

-Lock in living expenses with long term mortgage
-Autonomy and space
-Access to high quality schooling

Josh5890

I'm not a huge house guy, but houses do a couple things are very attractive for the middle class.

-Lock in living expenses with long term mortgage
-Autonomy and space
-Access to high quality schooling

Exactly. Owning a house is something that shouldn't be underrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom