• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Bungie Is Likely Developing ‘Destiny 3,’ Codename ‘Payback’

Yup. I tried it when it hit game pass and had no fucking idea what to do. It made me do the first mission from the first game too. I was dropped to a map and was lost.

I just don’t know what the hell has happened to this team. And it has nothing to do with Sony. They were heading downhill way before Sony threw them a life preserver. It’s a shame too.

Guerilla Games just needs to go back to Killzone. I miss the Killzone/Halo wars. Us gamers won with great games from both series.

Yea I remember once I got dripped into this mission that was hard as hell. Sure I made it through the mission but I can guarantee there were another 10 people who said "I don't know what's going on and this is to hard" and just turned it off. My cousin said the same thing that he couldn't believe how hard it was. Destiny has great shooting mechanics. If they can do the next game right I think it will do well but they need to stop being so unfriendly to newcomers or people returning after a long layoff.

As far as GG I'm good with them sticking with HZD for now. One more game to finish up the story though and they should move on. Three games in a series IMO is the most that should be done. After that let it rest for a gen before going back. Also if you go back to a series do something different with it.

I only played Shadowfall when it comes to KZ and almost dropped it. The story opened up though on the mission I was about to drop it on and the game was really good. I loved the ending.

Pay back indeed. They should return all the money I've spent in this franchise.

Jokes aside. A proper Destiny 3 is the only way for a redo of the franchise, and only way many old fans would be willing to return.

gothmog

Gold Member
Prismatic looks great so I'm hyped. Hopefully they stop monkey pawing every decision going forward. Desperate Bungie is the best Bungie.

Last edited:
Jokes aside. A proper Destiny 3 is the only way for a redo of the franchise, and only way many old fans would be willing to return.
All it would require for me to jump in is a proper tutorial. Destiny 2 highly failed in that regard because a new player would be dropped in to multiple complicated systems at once, including currencies and crafting systems that were not properly explained.

There are articles and videos that outline this issue very well. I just hope Bungie has paid attention.

Hudo

Imagine if Bungie actually made a good FPS again. With a cool singleplayer campaign and a nice batch of multiplayer modes.

Killjoy-NL

Since I've spent about 2800 hrs on Destiny 1, I'm willing to give them one more chance with the franchise under Sony.

D2 was an underwhelming shitshow.

Last edited:

Quantum253

It’s Payback because they expect their customer to keep paying back the loan for all the MTX that are going to be “included” 😉
Can you image the new state of studios is when you buy the game, you enter a contract to paying off the loan initial borrowed by the studio in monthly mtx transactions 😄

Sushi_Combo

Yup. I tried it when it hit game pass and had no fucking idea what to do. It made me do the first mission from the first game too. I was dropped to a map and was lost.

I just don’t know what the hell has happened to this team. And it has nothing to do with Sony. They were heading downhill way before Sony threw them a life preserver. It’s a shame too.

Guerilla Games just needs to go back to Killzone. I miss the Killzone/Halo wars. Us gamers won with great games from both series.
Killzone would be dope, even just a remaster of Kz2/3 with Mp I'll take.

DeaDPo0L84

Likely instead of this being a full blown start from scratch, it will be a soft reboot and ditch last gen hardware so they no longer have to remove content or restrict themselves with future content due to hardware limitations, think bigger exploration zones and activities, for sure a push towards actually being an MMO, also probably a graphical facelift. People can hate Destiny all they want, and as an avid Destiny player their are legit reasons to at times, but It's still one of the most successful games in the live service category and it's not going anywhere, probably ever.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Will bet both testicles that it won't be Destiny 3, but rather Destiny Universe or something like that. No chance they're following the D1 and D2 formula.

yurinka

Is it gonna be multiplatform? Nobody has mentioned Sony is now making multiplatform games?
In the acquisition announcement they mentioned that all future Bungie games were going to continue being full multiplatform, with not even timed exclusives for Sony. The only thing Sony will get as exclusive is going to be the money that Bungie makes.

Sony mentioned one of the reasons of buying them was because Sony wanted to expand beyond their console with multiplatform stuff. So don't expect any future game being exclusive, unless Xbox dies or its market gets too small.

MarkMe2525

"News Flash: Studio possibly working on a new game for their most popular property."

I think anyone asked would have concluded that this is "likely".

Last edited:

Fbh

I hope it has some sort of standalone PVP mode that's completely unrelated to the grindy MMO crap.

Is it gonna be multiplatform? Nobody has mentioned Sony is now making multiplatform games?

When they bought Bungie they said their games would continue to be multiplatform.
In fact Bungie isn't really a part of "playstation studios", they are more like an independent branch. At least that was the agreement at first, who knows how things will change if Bungie continues to struggle

That’s going to be Marathon.

But that's supposedly going to be an extraction shooter. Which is like the opposite of what I liked about Bungie PVP.

SHA

Nr2NdDQ.jpg

Need to Make Destiny Great again and then also bring back Killzone and also make Halo Great again.

The FPS wars are fun. And Destiny is great but it's become a mess

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Need to Make Destiny Great again and then also bring back Killzone and also make Halo Great again.

The FPS wars are fun. And Destiny is great but it's become a mess
Killzone might be my favorite series. 2 and 3 on the PS3 were masterpieces, imo. And Mercenary on the Vita is the second best portable game ever made, only behind Kid Icarus Uprising.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
I’m cautiously optimistic, let’s hope they learned through trial and error with Destiny 2.

What will be interesting if this will roll out for Nintendo’s next gen console/handheld.

Killzone might be my favorite series. 2 and 3 on the PS3 were masterpieces, imo. And Mercenary on the Vita is the second best portable game ever made, only behind Kid Icarus Uprising.
If you ever get the chance to try it, Killzone 1 was actually a really fun campaign. It reminded me of some of the PS2/Xbox greats back then like Socom and Splinter Cell, but it probably got lost in the shuffle of the massive amount of games back then. I actually think Mercenary is closer to 1 in scope due to it containing more low profile missions like 1.

anothertech

Hmmm. Destiny 3.

Maybe using unreal 5, they can make an actual open world on a few planets like was originally promised.

Maybe we'll be actually be able to "see that mountain? You can go there..."

NickFire

The actual gameplay in Destiny 2 was always enjoyable for me. Where they lost me was the lack of matchmaking after my friends dropped it, the financial cost of keeping up with a game that didn't exactly justify the cost IMO, and what felt like a convoluted mess of additions, subtractions, and paywalls for content.

In other words, the game started to feel like a cow that was milked to the point of dehydration, hooked up to an IV to keep the milk flowing, and plastered in road signs that made no sense to me. Something like that.

Top Bottom