• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republican-led committee approves bill restricting Donald Trump's ability to wage war

Left-wingers sure love limited government when their opponent is in office. I wish they were more vocal about this when Obama was going to war without congressional approval. At least George W. Bush asked congress.
right that's all we want is democrat presidents going to war and not Republicans

you hit the nail on the head breh, both sides should be allowed to have war powers

I would love it if by the end of his time as President we just had a whole pile of laws that specifically, explicitly say, "Donald Trump cannot do [insert action here]." I want to explain to my grandkids why the Donald Trump Statutes and Limitations were necessary.

"Donald Trump cannot communicate with any foreign government, under any circumstances."

"Donald Trump cannot accept gifts, of any kind, regardless of their monetary value."

"Donald Trump cannot initiate physical contact with members of the United States Armed Forces for any reason."

"Every command issued by Donald Trump must be ratified by a super-majority of Congress and a majority of the Supreme Court before any attempt is made to follow or institute it."

hermit7

I heard a fair amount about this on pod Save America when their interviewed Tim Kaine.

Have to say that this seems reasonable. 16 years is a shit ton of time and we realistically aren't any further now fighting terrorism than we were then.

Hopefully the senate and congress can be a little more specific when giving authorizations for military force in the future so we don't end up in the endless conflicts with no hope of resolution.

REPUBLICANS limited his power to declare wars? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHA

AHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAH

BasicMath

Alright. Now get rid of 702.

Oh, that's right. That's a both sides issue. But it's currently worse on the Dem side to be fair.

REPUBLICANS limited his power to declare wars? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHA

AHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAH
Republican Congress members probably want him to have as little power as possible. He's there to sign their bills into law. Most likely don't trust his judgment on the slightest.

Beartruck

Between this and the russia sanctions, seems republicans have finally decided he's too much of an x factor to leave him to his own devices. Or the intel commitees received some intel that lead them to believe hes compromised.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Left-wingers sure love limited government when their opponent is in office. I wish they were more vocal about this when Obama was going to war without congressional approval. At least George W. Bush asked congress.

I agree with the action though. The executive branch has gotten way out of control, and the last person I want all that power in the hands of is President Trump.

The left WAS vocal. Nice try.

What utter dipshits. They were happy to relinquish their authority on waging war to avoid responsibility. Now they need to keep Trump from getting themselves stuck somewhere that won't play well in elections. Makes my blood boil.

Between this and the russia sanctions, seems republicans have finally decided he's too much of an x factor to leave him to his own devices. Or the intel commitees received some intel that lead them to believe hes compromised.

I wonder if it's possible to use this to turn Trump against Republicans. Have them fight each other.

Mahonay

Banned

I agree with the action though. The executive branch has gotten way out of control, and the last person I want all that power in the hands of is President Trump.
Lol were you not actually alive during 8 years of George W. Bush? The administration that single handedly destabilized the Middle East with endless war? Obama didn't start those wars, but I guess that's easy for you gloss over as no big deal

Chumly

What kind of revisionist bull crap is this?

akileese

Tim Kaine had been talking about wanting this revoked a few weeks back on Pod Saves the World (and not recently, he's been banging the drum about this for a few years now) so this is most likely a bipartisan decision which is...kind of amazing.

Top Bottom