• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rika Suzuki (scenario writer and director for Hotel Dusk, Trace Memory/Another Code) is back with a new game "Dark Auction: Hitler’s Estate"

Wouldn't have been Himmler the more fitting person? His SS owned a Castle and the guy was heavily into the occult. Hitler didn't really give two shits about castles and the occult stuff unless it was for a propaganda purpose.
No, he wouldn't. Wewelsburg wasn't one of his private possessions. True that Hitler didn't own any castle either. If there was any high ranking Nazi with a more extroverted sense of bling, it's Hermann Göring. He'd be the guy to own shit like that.

Hudo

No, he wouldn't. Wewelsburg wasn't one of his private possessions. True that Hitler didn't own any castle either. If there was any high ranking Nazi with a more extroverted sense of bling, it's Hermann Göring. He'd be the guy to own shit like that.
Well, I didn't say that Himmler himself owned it. It was used by the SS. Hermann Göring, while being overly "bling bling" as you state, would probably the worst fit for a mystery type of adventure game because the guy only had his criminal bullshit going on (raiding museums around Europe etc) but nothing occult etc.
In any case, I wasn't trying to talk the game down. I was just wonderinger why Hitler was chosen. And the most likely answer is: Because he's the strongest IP.

Davevil

Rotf4 GIF by Signature Entertainment
lab-3498584_1280.jpg

test-tube baby

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Not sure I get the connection here. By investigation mechanics, do you mean how you look around and observe your surroundings or the full suite of puzzle mechanics? And why would that hamper the nuance of the scenario?
No, I mean those moments you have to sit down and lay your case with the suspects. Those moments are instant game over scenarios and you only really need to memorize the right answers to get through, no deduction is really necessary.

No, I mean those moments you have to sit down and lay your case with the suspects. Those moments are instant game over scenarios and you only really need to memorize the right answers to get through, no deduction is really necessary.
I don't agree even in the context of Hotel Dusk, all the right answers are knowable through context clues, plus you can actually save topics of conversation from one interrogation and use them later on different characters to get more information/different correct answers. So there is some depth to it.

That being said, for a Japanese mystery/detective adventure game the NDS CiNG games place way less emphasis on deductions as the main puzzle mechanic compared to similar games of that era. Instead incorporating western style inventory object puzzles and unique hardware use. Still, it's worth mentioning Rika Suzuki has over a decade long history of making more orthodox/traditional style mystery adventures (emphasis on following leads and deductions) when she was at Riverhillsoft before forming CiNG in its wake.

(fantastic YT vid about Suzuki's career)

Rika is no stranger to making games like JB Harold Murder Club or the Todo Ryunosuke 1920s Series, which were far more open ended and expected players to piece together clues and follow leads at their own discretion to solve the mystery.

fND4kGGvBP8yiiXkHAehM9.jpg
todo-rynosuke-tantei-nikki-gon-no-rashinban_6.png
murder-club_9.gif

These games were so focused on chasing down leads that they actually shipped with notebooks, maps, and character relation charts that you were expected to fill out over the duration of the game to solve the mystery.

WxMUaRR.jpg

So, that pedigree in conjunction with the gameplay description from their campfire campaign actually leads me to believe this will be the most emphasis Suzuki has put on mystery solving gameplay since Glass Rose.

Features
Interesting worldview based on the legend of Hitler
Stylish and unique characters
3D map that allows you to freely explore the old castle
A word cloud system that allows users to deduce and discuss with keywords
An auction part where the truth of memories is revealed through images and puzzles

Multiple endings that change the future depending on the choices made by the main character.
A full-fledged mystery adventure
Game System
The game consists of three parts: [Investigation Part], [Auction Part], and [Deduction Part]

Beginning of the day: Information on today's target and items to be auctioned arrives at your room via a pneumatic tube.

Investigation part: Move around the old castle and talk with the characters
      Searching the room for items
      Search for books in the library

Auction part: 3 stages: first stage, second stage, and final stage

Deduction part: Common room ( communicate with other participants), your own room ( think about and create a relationship chart)

Still im not sure if there's a hard connection between the mystery solving gameplay and the subtlety/deftness with which the subject matter is handled. I think the story could play out well regardless, but there is plenty reason to think this game will place higher priority on mystery solving than the CiNG games.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
just because your game only released in Japan and PAL land, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Americans:

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I feel anytime people turn to figures like Hitler to generate some controversy around their product, the product is shit and the creator has lost their creativity.
I’ve seen enough use of Hitler in Japanese media to be certain that they don’t do this to generate controversy. They use him as liberally as Evangelion and the Xeno games used Christian imagery and themes. It’s just really interesting plot material for them, no strings attached.

Success

This is going to get instantly funded.

Rika played it smart here.

Japan is the biggest GDP country where you can get away with "positive" portrayals of Hitler without the local controversy.

And just having the word Hitler in the title will generate some much controversy that the mainstream media with deride the work and the counter media will give it unwavering support because the mainstream media is against it.

The real question will be whether the popular mainstream gaming outlets like IGN and GameSpot will even review the game.

Top Bottom