• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

River on Fire, an example of fracking gone wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Condamine River, Queensland Australia. Fracking taking place only 1km away (0.6 mile).

buckingham%20cover.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvJAKVnK4qM
(NSFW swearing in audio)

A RIVER ON FIRE! Gas explodes from a river near fracking site. I was shocked by force of the explosion when I tested whether gas boiling through the river was flammable. So much gas is bubbling through the river that it held a huge flame.

There has been concern that fracking and extraction of coal seam gas could cause gas to migrate through the rock. Not only is it polluting the river and air, but methane is an extremely potent heat trapping gas. Fugitive emissions from the unconventional gas industry could be a major contributor to climate change and make gas as dirty as burning coal.

Gas first started bubbling though the river shortly after the coal seam gas industry took off in the area. Since then the volume of gas bubbling through the river has massively increased and has spread along the river.

You can see stakes in the river bank were the government has marked each gas seep. You can also see pipework near the river where energy provider has installed for monitoring the gas bubbling through the river.

Source

I'm no corporate/political agenda pusher or an extreme environmentalist but this is bat-shit crazy. Apparently more rivers and air based issues are being discovered. Also I haven't confirmed it yet but apparently Hillary Clinton sold the world on Fracking.

Great now our environment is trying to kill us along with our animals.

An update, CSIRO (one of our leading science organisations) have been tracking this for 2.5 years and say it's safe. They do agree it's getting worse. Another point of interest is they've only been following this for 2.5 years but drilling/fracking started back in 2012 in this area.

However they are funded by the private coal/fracking industry. I value and credit CSIRO but it's hard to be impartial and unbiased when you can bite the hand that feeds you.

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/ne...6626644b87eeccaab9710e37b#load-story-comments

LegoDad

How did it catch on fire? Fracking is done with water and sand in most places, harder places use crosslinked gel that is also water based.. gas releasing to the water wouldn't catch on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom