• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Yoshi's Story - bE cArEfUl!!!!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
In all of video-game history, there's one video-game I can decidedly say played a big part in my childhood, and that game was Yoshi's Story. I've always been a big fan of video-games since I was like four, but Yoshi's Story I think was the moment where I realized I was really into video-games as a hobby.

QDKCsV0l.jpg

My first Nintendo Power memory wasn't this issue, but one of the earlier issues that first introduced Yoshi's Story, and the preview of it (this was way back when where you could only get previews through magazines, so there was a mystical, foreign element to seeing such an odd looking game that blew my mind as a kid because of its unique style), and of course I followed Nintendo Power's coverage of the game till this issue, when the game came out.

I was always a big Yoshi fan...loved Yoshi's Island as a kid, loved using Yoshi in Mario Kart and Mario Party, I was just a straight up Yoshi kid. I have to admit, there's this joke about Yoshi fans I've seen around the net and, well, I gotta admit, in my case it's pretty much true. I'm just glad the Internet wasn't around back then because I was pretty quirky, and no doubt I would've likely turned into one of those Yoshi fans who have a strange, fetishistic obsession with the character, haha.

Anyway, I was fucking HYPED when Yoshi's Story came out. I even got some matching dolls for Christmas:

vW3CI7s.jpg

I knew I had the Red Yoshi, and I think I had Green as well, maybe Blue too? I really forgot, anyway, I loved Yoshi's Story as a kid, yet I haven't played it in years. Finally, I decided to grab it off the Wii VC.

So far, I've played a few levels and, well, I still think it's a pretty solid game. Actually, in a way, I think it's both archaic, yet in some instances quite ahead of its time. When it was released, 2D Platformers were on their way out (not for long), so it felt a bit too dated when stacked up next to Mario 64 and Zelda. Nowadays, though, I think a game like Yoshi's Story, especially as a downloadable, budget-title, would be quite well-received.

First, let's talk presentation. There's no doubt that, at its core, Yoshi's Story is a kid's game. And not even the regular Nintendo kid, his little brother. Part of the reason I hesitated to replay it for so long was because I felt a bit embarrassed by how childish it looks and sounds, but then I realized that I find a lot of gritty games to be equally embarrassing. Like most AAA-titles make me cringe with their over-the-top scores, "dramatic" voice-acting, and models that strive to be realistic, but just end up looking creepy. Actually, Yoshi's Story doesn't escape that last part either---the graphics have a really weird feeling to them at times, especially the Lava and Castle Worlds, and it's got that usual "Nintendo Creepy" that rears its head.

But one thing I sort of appreciate, is how distant it feels from the main Mario-verse. Yeah, you got Yoshi, Shy Guys, Bowser Jr., and a few other assorted foes (Kamek is oddly missing from this entry, although his Toadies still appear to kidnap Yoshi when they lose), but the rest of the enemies are unique creations, or look radically different from their normal Mario appearance, like Spike (called "Gabon", their Japanese names, in this) and Blaarg. It's the only Yoshi-series game that really feels this way to me; when I play Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's New Island, I think, hey, this is a Mario spin-off. But Yoshi's Story on the other hand, I think, hey, this is a Yoshi game. It helps that Mario is nowhere to be found for once, outside of a cameo on a newspaper.

I don't think Nintendo's ever been able to nail this idea of making Yoshi feel like his own character since then, even in Smash Brothers I feel like he's still more or less treated like a Mario character, despite having his own Icon. Like thanks to the Wario land and WarioWare and Donkey Kong Country, Wario and Donkey Kong I fully see them as being unique franchises who sometimes visit their old 'pal Mario. But not Yoshi. It seems Nintendo feels this way as well---while Wario and Donkey Kong have greatly branched out from their Mario roots, and Nintendo has been pushing much of the expanded Donkey Kong 'verse back out of the Mario games, as seen by Mario Kart 8 which exorcised everyone but Donkey Kong and one old stage, and of course none of the expanded Wario 'verse making appearances in Mario titles, Yoshi on the other hand has quickly made his way back to a prominent role in the main series, and many elements from his games tend to pop up as well. I don't want Yoshi to be gone from Mario, but I wish they could make his games feel more...distinct. Yarn Yoshi might actually accomplish this, though.

Back to the presentation aspect, the graphics are really crisp still (well, as crisp as the Wii on an HD TV can look...), especially the backgrounds comprised of various paper-crafts and such. It's quite an ambitious aesthetic for the time, and looks more like something Nintendo would produce nowadays. The 3D models are a little weaker, they sort of stick out, but they've got lots of little cute animations to spice them up, especially Yoshi, who is absolutely adorable. There are lots of little context animations like growling at foes that really make Yoshi a cute character, as opposed to a plain mount. Like I'm replaying NSMBU right now, and Yoshi is BORING in it. He's lifeless whenever Mario rides him, and doesn't show like any emotion, it's really off-putting to me. All the different-colored Yoshi having slight pitch differences is also a nice touch.

There's also some cute proto-Paper Mario designs utilized for the in-between level slides. I always like when games mix different art-styles depending on the context, as opposed to using plain, stock 3D Art for menu logos, and it's much appreciated. Another Mario game that did this to great effect was Mario 3-on-3 Hoops, which had really nice sprite work for its menus as well as solid 3D models during gameplay.

Finally, sound design is also very cute. This game does the "remix the same song multiple times" gimmick that Yoshi's New Island did, but unlike New Island, the basic melody is a very catchy, solid tune, and the remixes incorporate a bunch of different styles such as a goofy rap-version, and a funky Jamaican-verse. The game has a few other musical tunes, though, such as the "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy"-esque Baby Bowser Castle theme, which are also quite nice. It's an experimental soundtrack overall, but it easily DESTROYS the soundtrack of basically every Yoshi game afterwards.

This game also gave a voice to Yoshi, and the Shy Guy, and while I can see why some people disliked the utilization of the Yoshi voice in the remake of Yoshi's Island, and in future Mario games, in Yoshi's Story I think it's absolutely perfect, because it fits the feeling of the rest of the game. Yoshi makes countless adorable sounds, and even hums along to the music at points, it's just another big part of the game that makes it so endearing. It's cute, but not cloying, which later games sort of went---his voice in Mario Kart Wii for example, where he basically can speak somewhat, is just bizarre. The newer games seemed to have toned down his voice though, and he doesn't seem to talk as much as before.

Second, let's move on to gameplay. Well, Yoshi's Story had a LOT to live up to, being seen as a sequel to Yoshi's Island, arguably the GOAT of classic platformers in some circles. I think when it first came out, everyone just wanted to see a straight-up sequel to YI, and were massively disappointed when it went in another direction. Nowadays? I think we're all sick of half-baked YI sequels that we're looking forward to Yarn Yoshi which actually looks a bit more creative and innovative. Control-wise, Yoshi Story Yoshi seems a bit quicker and agile, since he's dumped Mario, except when it comes to throwing Eggs. Unlike in YI, Yoshi in YS must stand in one place while aiming, although has much more control, so the Egg Throw isn't as useful nor fun. On the other hand, it's used a bit less here, with Yoshi's tongue, now capable of being aimed, being his main asset. But despite being able to move a bit quicker, the game is more focused on taking your time and exploring, you've even got a treasure-tracker "sniffing" move. I think the game sort of falters here, because you're really given no indication of where to sniff, so if you're looking for the hidden fruit, you gotta basically sniff around.

But I think Yoshi's Story gets a bad rep, much like Kirby's Epic Yarn does, because it's one of those games where your enjoyment is based on how much you put into it. A lot of people bring up the "you can beat the game in six levels!", but I think that really narrows the definition of what beating a game entails. Sure, you beat Baby Bowser, but you still have 18 levels unexplored. The game has a pretty deep, sophisticated scoring system for a platformer, and it's a shame the game wasn't made in the age where scores can be shared across the net, because there's a lot under the surface for people who love to challenge themselves for the fun of it. Doing a solo-fruit run challenge, such as the Melon Only Challenge, really expands the scope of the game, and if you just run through each level gobbling up the first 30 Fruit you find, you really miss out. The levels all have their own feeling to them, some being somewhat "open-world", like the Jungle Hut level, where exploration is awarded, not through over-the-top congratulations or gimmicky "lore building", but, well, the happiness of just playing a cute game.

Of course, I don't blame people who didn't "get the game", a lot of the little niche elements of it are hidden beneath its surface, and it came out at a time where traditional platformers with scores and such were quickly on their way out. It was an anomaly...while Mario and Zelda were getting new games that redefined the whole video-game culture, Yoshi got this rather basic game that seemed old and outdated, and different in a bad way. When I was a kid, I enjoyed the game, but a lot of the elements confused me. I just ran through eating all the fruit, I didn't pay attention to weird numbers I was getting, why it mattered what fruit I ate, or anything like that, I just liked playing as Yoshi. It's sort of a game that I think needed the internet to help its popularity a bit, as thanks to GameFAQS, and later Youtube, a community was built around the "competitive, score attack" aspects of the game that most people ignored or didn't see a point to.

Really, I think the game would benefit IMMENSELY from getting remade for the 3DS or the Wii U. For one, the game would really look great with some polish, and I could definitely see some nice 3D effects being added due to how the levels are designed. Second, it'd make the whole scoring system be a bit more notable---I mean, the game is a great fit for online leader boards. Yeah, I said the fun of getting good scores was just for the happiness aspect of having fun, but it wouldn't hurt being able to brag about it either!

openrob

I really liked it when I got to play it as a kid. I used to visit this girl who's mum was japanese, so she had an import N64, I played it there first and it really was a great experience.
When I got to play it through myself I came to love it.

But it is a 'kids' game. Very short, and quite simple. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think your weireed for playing it now. But I feel that 10 year old me could enjoy it immensly more than I can now. Same will probably hold true for Yarn Yoshi, but if I had a kid to play it through with them then I would defo be all over it.

maxcriden

You know, I keep meaning to download this and try it now since I really didn't appreciate it at all as a kid. Thanks for the terrific LTTP OP as always, WDB!

I loved this game growing up. Though it always frightened me how the Yoshis would get carried off into the castle when they die.

Mendoza

I feel that, like with most of the 3D sidescrolling platformers of the era, it was lacking that something special.

I thought it was ugly and uninspired, especially coming off of Yoshi's Island. I also wasn't much of a Kirby 64 either.

But after I read this, I'm going to go back and play it. I still have it on the 64, and it's time I gave the game a proper shake.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I always thought it was pretty terrible. Sorry OP.

The presentation was downright infantile, which I could forgive if the other parts of the game were up to snuff... but they aren't. The game is too easy. I think I beat it in less than 1 hour the first (and last) time I ever played it, back when it came out. Its also boring. The music is bad/repetitive. And that fruit meter is atrocious. It literally wraps around the entire screen.

Easily one of the the worst Nintendo games of that era, IMO.

tronic307

Yoshi's Story wasn't exactly atrocious, but it killed or at best misdirected the Yoshi franchise for Nintendo and it hasn't recovered since. It's no fitting follow up for the stellar Yoshi's Island, that's for certain.

Jagsrock

Banned
One of my favorite games growing up and I still adore it. The storybook feel was so cool and the game is just so darn cute. It may not be the most challenging game in the world but it's still a fun laid back experience.

JP

Absolutely loved playing this and I certainly wasn't a kid when I played it. Admittedly it wasn't exactly the most complex game in the world but I loved it anyway.

I feel bad that you played Yoshi's Story before Yoshi's Island.

I was 10 when YI came out and 11 when YS launched and I thought YS was garbage. Beat it in half an hour after my first sitting. I felt cheated and my money down the drain and even my 11 year old self thought YS was geared too much to little kids.

The presentation was downright infantile, which I could forgive if the other parts of the game were up to snuff... but they aren't. The game is too easy. I think I beat it in less than 1 hour the first (and last) time I ever played it, back when it came out. Its also boring. The music is bad/repetitive. And that fruit meter is atrocious. It literally wraps around the entire screen.

I agree completely. It was my very first real disappointment from a Nintendo game I ever had. I remember beating it in 30 minutes on my first sitting. It had nothing of what amde me love Yoshis Island so much.

daydream

Banned
It's a great game, I have a real soft spot for it. I don't know if it's better than the original or not (leaving this question open will already be considered heresy on GAF, no doubt) but I certainly feel more passionate about it.

Also, I have yet to read a convincing argument for why the game is supposed to be bad. Aspects like lack of difficulty, lack of content or the fact that it changes up the gameplay and structure of the original are either invalid (as in, not reflective of quality) or incorrect.

On the subject of music, I've always loved Totaka's experimental style and this game is no exception.

Infantile? the story book aesthetic was beautiful. I agree with the OP, you get what you put in. Sure you can beat it in an hour, but you can also play through it again and see all the different levels. You can even get better scores by looking for all the melons in a level. If the fruit meter offended you that much you can turn it off. The music was super catchy, I still find myself humming some of the tunes so many years down the line.

I think it's a great game, but like people has been saying, it's clearly a kids game. And it was judged for that.

Graphic presentation was really good and new at the time, I wish we had an HD version of said assets (not a remake, just a HD re-release). And yeah, music was just that good.

I just wish most kids games were that good.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It was such a huge disappointment coming off of Yoshi's Island, which was amazing. I beat it in one sitting and was pretty bitter afterwards. I was twelve or thirteen at the time, but I knew it was a turd. I've replayed it a few times over the years, and my opinion hasn't improved. It also started off the weird infantilizing of Yoshi, which bugs the hell out of me to his day.

I enjoy seeing fans of Yoshi's Story. It may be flawed in some ways, but better to have an interesting game with flaws than a boring game with flaws (Yoshi's Island DS, New Yoshi's Island).

maxcriden

I enjoy seeing fans of Yoshi's Story. It may be flawed in some ways, but better to have an interesting game with flaws than a boring game with flaws (Yoshi's Island DS, New Yoshi's Island).

There's nothing boring about Yoshi's Island DS, IMO. You get to play as Baby DK! Baby Wario! Baby Bowser. It's awesome.

Yoshi's Story wasn't exactly atrocious, but it killed or at best misdirected the Yoshi franchise for Nintendo and it hasn't recovered since. It's no fitting follow up for the stellar Yoshi's Island, that's for certain.

Aside from Yoshi's Story, I'm baffled that they gave Link to the Past the true blue in-house EAD sequel treatment, but not Yoshi's Island, hell get the LBW team on it, they'd still be damn close to the mark.

I love Artoon and Arzest for their Sega heritage, but they're not fit for Yoshi. Bring Yoshi back to EAD please. :(

Woolly World looks great though. :p

Shame the game isn't as long as OP's post.

(That's not a criticism of the post)

Seriously though, I liked it, but it was WAY too short. Even if you did repeat playthroughs to see all the levels.

It doesn't hold a candle to Yoshi's Island though. But then, the actual Yoshi's Island sequels don't either.

There's nothing boring about Yoshi's Island DS, IMO. You get to play as Baby DK! Baby Wario! Baby Bowser. It's awesome.

To me, the baby swap mechanic was only interesting as an idea; it didn't do enough with it to justify it existing. It was just a "go back to the baby swap point and change for this one area." Perhaps if they let you take different paths through the game based on which baby you were using, that'd be neat. For example:

Baby Bowser - Baby Bowser would let you progress through to the end of the game in fire and ice worlds.

Baby DK - Baby DK would let you go through jungle levels.

Baby Wario - Baby Wario would, I dunno... caves? Since his magnet could let Yoshi reach areas w/ the metals in the cave.

Baby Peach - Sky World

Baby Mario - Standard Path

And then unlockable Baby Luigi lets you take a Hard Mode path.

Pau

Man, I must not have been very good at games as a kid because I found Yoshi's Story kinda difficult. :p I didn't quite get how you unlocked certain levels so I barely made it to Bowser Jr. I definitely enjoyed it though and wouldn't mind a re-release on 3DS.

I hated this game so much. Loathed. It was one of the few times I took advantage of Gamestop's return within 7 days policy if you don't like it.

Here is why I hated it:

1. I was a huge fan of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island so I was anticipating this game immensely. After a loooong wait....

2. I picked this up and what the hell? Difficulty is no where near Yoshi's Island.

3. Level design is weak.

4. 100% method is not the same at all.

5. Only secrets are the white and black yoshis.

6. Wtf is with their stupid singing?

7. Why is everything so over the top freaky cute?

8. Why is the game so short?

9. What I hated most was the new Yoshi persona that started with this game. No longer an awesome sidekick but now appeals a lot more towards kids.

Only thing I liked was the graphics and the fact that it was 2.5D. Maybe I'll have a different opinion if I played it today.

clav

I remember discovering infinite flutter on my own as I could make Yoshi flutter for hours.

Man, I was bored back in the day.

El Odio

Banned
I don't remember much of my initial impression of this game but I remember playing it all the time with my friend way back when. The ending theme is one of my favorite songs, so many memories...

Neiteio

I love this game. Still enjoy giving it a whirl every now and then. The reason why I'm stoked about Wooly World is because it looks like a spiritual sequel to Story. You have Yoshi, sans baby, running around huge handcrafted worlds you can explore at your leisure. Seriously, I'm so excited. :-D

Neiteio

And double-posting, but just wanted to say I finished reading the entire OP, and that was extremely well-done, Watch Da Birdie. Excellent thread. :)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Honestly, I don't like Yoshi's Island that much anymore...feels too slow, and the collection elements are kind of hard and a bit too much. I tried replaying it on the 3DS (Ambassador), and, well, it just didn't click anymore.

I really didn't care for Yoshi Island DS as well, but I did find the idea of switching Babies to be a neat idea, in theory, but badly implemented since iirc it just compounded the collection element as you had to keep switching between them.

New Island, on the other hand, I wish would've experimented more. The only real new element is the Giant and Metal Eggs...and that's, well, empty. During the pre-release phrase, I was awaiting for Nintendo to reveal their magic like they did for 3D World and LBW, turning what first appeared to be plain rehashes into unique entries with awesome trailers and new gameplay mechanics within, but that never happened.

LeleSocho

Banned
Lol at the people saying that have finished it in 30min-1hour, you literally have played a fifth of the whole game.

Great game, one of the best atmospheres in a nintendo game and surely top 5 in aesthetics.
Solid gameplay but it wasn't rich at all... perfect for the japanese audience but westerners really don't appreciate cuteness.

Fun fact: when i was a little boy i thought that Yoshi's Story was the N64 version of Yoshi's Island.

I loved this game when I was younger. I can't say how many times I've played it start to finish, but it's been far too long. It's on the WiiU VC? I may just have to pick it up for some nostalgia.

Also, I always thought they were saying "Together!" in the end, but I guess not.

maxcriden

New Island, on the other hand, I wish would've experimented more. The only real new element is the Giant and Metal Eggs...and that's, well, empty. During the pre-release phrase, I was awaiting for Nintendo to reveal their magic like they did for 3D World and LBW, turning what first appeared to be plain rehashes into unique entries with awesome trailers and new gameplay mechanics within, but that never happened.

You know, I really enjoyed YNI, but I do think it feels like a modern remake of Yoshi's Island more than its own game. I love the YI gameplay so that works for me, but like you, I would have ideally preferred more newness to it.

To me, the baby swap mechanic was only interesting as an idea; it didn't do enough with it to justify it existing. It was just a "go back to the baby swap point and change for this one area." Perhaps if they let you take different paths through the game based on which baby you were using, that'd be neat. For example:

Baby Bowser - Baby Bowser would let you progress through to the end of the game in fire and ice worlds.

Baby DK - Baby DK would let you go through jungle levels.

Baby Wario - Baby Wario would, I dunno... caves? Since his magnet could let Yoshi reach areas w/ the metals in the cave.

Baby Peach - Sky World

Baby Mario - Standard Path

And then unlockable Baby Luigi lets you take a Hard Mode path.

I would've loved an unlockable Baby Luigi. I totally understand where you're coming from, but FWIW I felt the individual levels and worlds were set up like this, utilizing the Babies' abilities well (but definitely not to the overarching, multi-level extent you're describing).

JNT

Is "be careful" a reference to the song the Yoshis are singing in between levels? I always thought they said "eat apple", although I guess they might not technically say anything in English...

I should say that I actually liked this game as a kid, and I did not understand my 11 year older brother's opinion of the game when he said it was bad. Looking at the game in retrospect it's not as good as I remember it. In fact, over the years I've fallen in line with my brother's opinion. It's not challenging, and it is laughably short. Although I still find the game charming, perhaps due to lingering nostalgia.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Is "be careful" a reference to the song the Yoshis are singing in between levels?
I've been trying to convince one of my friends about this for years and he still isn't convinced they're singing words based on the fact Yoshis can't speak.

Top Bottom