• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS2 games for PS Plus Premium seem to be in the works

Agent X

Just curious, but if you owned RE: Director's Cut from the PSP/PS3 days, are you not able to access it on PS4/PS5 without a Sub?

I don't own RE: Director's Cut, but (someone correct me if I'm wrong) it is my understanding that the PS4/PS5 version is only on PS Plus Premium, not sold separately, and not a cross-buy carryover. Some Bandai Namco games are also set up like this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If Ace Combat 4 comes to sub plan, download it. Best AC game in the series. I think I S-ranked every stage. I'd play each act trying to clear every enemy plane, land and sea target.

GreatnessRD

Should've done it when I cared. Now, I have something even better! PCSX2

Like buttah, baby.

Still good for those still on console. Hopefully, they don't fuck this up.

SpokkX

Would love stuff that will never get "remakes" like Maximo, Castlevania CoD etc on PS5. They work great of pcsx2

Last edited:

engstra

Big catalog of games to pull from although same can be said for PS1 and they haven't delivered on that yet.

Have they fixed the PS2 games already available? Apparently they run like ass on PS5

old-parts

Interesting, from the interview it seems they have developed an emulator specifically for consoles, it is designed to bypass/remove some of the copyright protected code in old systems (bios and game roms) that makes it legally a chore (if not impossible) to make old games available digitally on modern systems.

Hopefully this sees lots of older games available digitally.

Last edited:

Agent X

Will be cloud enabled
The PS1/PS2/PSP games that are currently on the PS Plus Premium service are cloud enabled (if you choose to play that way), but they're also available to download and play straight from the console.

It's best for them to offer both options.

and PS3-style controls for Resistance: Retribution.
which has possibly the worst controls of a shooter I ever played. I have never fiddled as much with sensitivity options but still have not found settings that feel acceptable in this otherwise maybe okayish certainly outdated game. It is anyway a PS3 Resistance 2 feature which they just had to bypass. So the initial developers are respoinsible for these autoaim free junk controls that barely work with the game. I'd rather have PSP like controls and autoaim still there.
For extra fun try to play it via remote play on the Vita. The extra delay gives it another layer of wtf. Streaming might not be perfect, but everything streamed to whereever my server farm sits plays a lot better and smoother than playing this emulated/natively.
I have not tried on PS5 though, which might be like with Stardust where the PS4 version was seriously bad with a lot of slowdowns while PS5 brute forced its way through it. Which was laughable for such a basic and old game.
Did not play many classics so far, but Red Faction worked fine. So not that many good ports so far imo.

"Some of our partners and publishers include Disney Interactive, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Konami, Capcom, Team17, and Bend Studio."

Anyone else find it weird they mentioned Bend Studio in this list? It's a list of pubilshers and then Bend.

fart town usa

Gold Member
So glad I still own a PS2 and PS3.

Sony does need to step it up with their legacy software support though. The option to play physical PSX games should be on all PS consoles. An Easter egg at the very least. We got it with PS2/PS3, I fail to see how/why it can't be done with PS4/PS5.

Looks like they're backpedaling on the original claim.

FvR61yy.png

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
All those PS2 games I bought on PS3 should get me some free unlocks on PS5 if this is true. I had Digital Devil Saga 1+2, Devil Summoner, Fatal Frame 1-3, Capcom vs SNK 2, Rygar, God Hand, Ring of Red, and a bunch of others.

It’s hard to get excited when you know you’ve paid for these on PS3 and they’re just now getting around to BC to some extent. Unlock my Parasite Eve 1 and 2 on PS5 with trophy support. That’ll be a good day.

keefged4

Let's be honest though, at this stage who doesn't have the means to already emulate them already? It's too little too late. You know it'll be the bare minimum they put into it and will lack the basic enchancements we've seen from the current emulators already available.

Audiophile

Gold Member
I think the whole thing of "people don't play older games" is less a case of not wanting to (or at least not willing to) and more a case of friction.

If I can have an add-on to my PS Plus that gives me access to download (or stream) a whole three generations of classic titles just as easily as PS4/PS5 games. Then I'd probably dabble in it and it'd expand from there; and I say that as someone who's usually much more into the future and the next big thing on the horizon. I know we basically have this already, but it's clunky and poorly populated, I think it could be sooo much better.

I think this would be especially true for [fingers-crossed] a future handheld, people are more accepting of the generally more rudimentary experiences of older generations such as PS1/PS2 on a handheld.

You just need to put the option right in front of someone and give them a nudge; and make it as easy as possible to get stuck in. Of course, not everyone will be into it, but I think a more significant number than people expect would be willing to jump in if it's made as easy as possible and if it works really well.

I've been meaning to play Silent Hill 1, 2 & 3 but I've gone over the options and I've decided I want to play them in their original PS form (the PC and other versions just look wrong to me, the softer, more cohesive presentation of the originals looks more fitting). So I now have to get a PS2 and the discs. But, I'd much rather play them on my PS5 Pro when I get it, perhaps with some filter options and a locked framerate. And I'd be happy to pay $5-10 a pop for digital versions or subscribe to a PS Plus add-on for them.

Disc support would be nice too, as not all games will be available due to licensing and some people already have a collection. I know this isn't monetisable in that way but it's unlikely to put much of a dent in things as digital would be the main way people consume these older games. Of course, Sony dropped the CD laser from PS4 & current PS5, so they can't even play those games on disc if they wanted to -- probably saved them a thruppence ha' penny on bom.

I find it hard to believe Sony can't do near-flawless PS1/PS2 emulation at this point and monetise it. PS3 would be more difficult but I'm still having a hard time buying the possibility that they can't do it (alternatively, as I've said before, what about making an absolutely miniscule CELL on a modern process node to put in future consoles [they're gonna have to update those streaming servers at some point or another too, strung together PS3 boards are only gonna last so long]).

I also think PS Plus should go modular with more granular options so that people can build their own package with a variety of specific "tick-box" options. Among them in this context would be a PS1/PS2 package, a PS3 package & a PSP/PSVita package, just a few dollars each extra a/mth.

To have access to a full back catalogue at this point I'd need a PS2, a PS3, a PS5 & a PSVita. Also, for VR I need both a PSVR (with its clunky break out box, an adapter, Move controllers & a PS4 Camera), and a PSVR2. Add in standard controllers, select accessories and cables/connections. It's a total mess..

Last edited:
Top Bottom