• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Sony in talks to acquire Paramount

EDMIX

Paramount+ is at 71 million subscribers, it only launched in 2021.

Huh? not necessarily

Paramount did not launch in 2021, it BOUGHT CBS Access in 2021, at the time CBS had millions of subscribers as it was out since 2014, so.....no, they didn't launch in 2021 and gain 71 million subscribers. I see the point you are making, but we need clarity and context to get the full picture.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/15/...ew-name-rebrand-2021-international-disney-hbo
Netflix hit 100 million subscribers in 2017. Netflix launched streaming in 2007.

Yes, but that was also the start of a lot of that, as they built the concept of how a lot of this would work (culturally anyway). So 100 million is an amazing feat regardless, but maybe more amazing then vs now. The blueprint has already been made.

With almost 270 million, Netflix is the one to beat and aim for right now and I think this purchase of Paramount is a solid buy if true based on what Sony is seeking with those streaming purchases. I kept thinking they'd make some Anime streaming thing when they bought Funimation and CrunchyRoll, but I have no clue what Sony is aiming to do. Legally, I don't know if they can even do some mega streaming thing like Sony Streaming etc will all of them combined lol
Won't be surprised if they buy Tidal next.

Maybe...lol

Pelta88

I think people are missing both context and potential. Some of the most popular ip on streaming platforms is produced by SIE.

bitbydeath

Also, again, Sony management is short changing the gaming division which is by far more profitable to prop up their middling movie division
Paramount do own a few gaming companies which they can shift into PlayStation. Would be great to see a new South Park game with PlayStation money behind it.

Topher

Gold Member
GMmI6QdW8AAR0Xc

Someone make sure Sony realizes the price being negotiated is in dollars.....not yen.

Matthew Broderick GIF

Top Bottom