• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SAG-AFTRA (for videogame acting) votes to strike October 21st

Pachinko

Article

Sounds like they've finally made a move after sitting on this for a year now. What will this mean for games ? Well, hopefully mediation reaches a deal that pleases both sides but if not , I imagine you'll see a lot of games dubbed and motion captured in other countries with actors sourced from unions outside SAG-AFTRA , such as Canada or even Britain.

// Mod Edit:

Industry response:

VentureBeat said:
Meanwhile, a law firm representing the companies issued a statement. Scott J. Witlin of the law firm of Barnes & Thornburg said in a statement, “We have negotiated in good faith for the past 18 months with SAG-AFTRA union leaders, and are making progress toward a new contract. We are deeply disappointed to learn today of the union’s threatened strike and its unilateral violation of the mutually agreed upon ‘news black-out’ on negotiation discussions.”

He added, “We consider the Union’s threatened labor action to call a strike precipitous, unnecessary and an action that will only harm their membership. SAG-AFTRA represents performers in less than 25% of the video games on the market. Any strike would not only deny SAG-AFTRA’s membership work, but this would also give their competitors, who do not engage union talent, a leg up while any strike would be in place. The video game companies had already scheduled bargaining sessions this week with SAG-AFTRA union leaders to attempt to reach a mutually beneficial agreement. We expect these negotiations to remain in place, and will continue to attempt to reach a fair and equitable contract despite the Union leadership’s most recent threatened labor action.”

And he said, “The existing contract between video game companies and SAG-AFTRA pays all performers more than $100 an hour plus benefits and most performers many times that. The companies’ current proposals on the negotiation table includes wage increases for most performers and additional avenues for compensation that could yield many hundreds of dollars more in payments for limited integration and ratification bonuses. Although the companies have had only one report of workplace injury due to vocal stress, the companies have continued to look to ways to reduce the burdens on performers in this area through the more flexible work scheduling and other innovative work arrangements. We want to draw attention to the increased economic benefits and working condition improvements being offered because SAG-AFTRA’s website is inaccurate and out of date and does not reflect offers some of which have been on the table for more than a year.”

Lastly, Witlin said, “It is important to note that the video game companies’ upcoming games are already in production and the majority will be unaffected by any SAG-AFTRA strike due to the nature of the ‘no strike provisions’ of the collective bargaining agreement. We anticipate minimal impact on current and near-future game releases. We produce interactive video games for the enjoyment of people around the world and as a result we provide excellent jobs for many SAG-AFTRA members. Reaching a reasonable agreement is in the best interest of all parties, as well as the many fans of our games.”

http://venturebeat.com/2016/10/16/actors-group-sets-strike-date-against-video-game-publishers/

For clarification: They will strike on October 21st IF their final round of negotiations (from the 17th - 19th) is unsuccessful.

Not all games and companies will be struck against. These companies will be affected:

Activision Publishing, Inc.
Blindlight, LLC
Corps of Discovery Films
Disney Character Voices, Inc.
Electronic Arts Productions, Inc.
Formosa Interactive, LLC
Insomniac Games, Inc.
Interactive Associates, Inc.
Take 2 Interactive Software
VoiceWorks Productions, Inc.
WB Games, Inc.

SAG-AFTRA will post a list of any affected games later. It'll be any that went into development at some point after February 2015.

aadiboy

I imagine you'll see a lot of games dubbed and motion captured in other countries with actors sourced from unions outside SAG-AFTRA , such as Canada or even Britain.
Is it bad that I think this is a good thing? Anything that makes it so we don't have to listen to the same tiny pool of VAs over and over again is a plus in my book.

Does that mean now is the time to start trying to become the new Nolan North?
lol

Often time I hear strikes makes lots of new openings.

Ashtar

For clarification: They will strike on October 21st IF their final round of negotiations (from the 17th - 19th) is unsuccessful.

Not all games and companies will be struck against. These companies will be affected:

Blindlight, LLC
Corps of Discovery Films
Formosa Interactive, LLC
Insomniac Games, Inc.
WB Games, Inc.

SAG-AFTRA will post a list of any affected games later. It'll be any that went into development at some point after February 2015.
So
destiny 2
COD Vietnam
Amy hennig Star Wars
That other Star Wars
Spider man
Next rock steady game

Hopefully things will work out amicably

Is it bad that I think this is a good thing? Anything that makes it so we don't have to listen to the same tiny pool of VAs over and over again is a plus in my book.

Yeah, even though I'm ethically inclined to side with the strike so that they can get better conditions, I'm tired of the union only pushing a small subset of VAs.

So
destiny 2
COD Vietnam
Amy hennig Star Wars
That other Star Wars
Spider man
Next rock steady game

Hopefully things will work out amicably

Yeah, that's more or less a potential ballpark of what might hypothetically be at stake. Disney Character Voices might prove problematic for Kingdom Hearts as well. If Take 2 have anything for Elder Scrolls in the works there's that as well.

Blindlight and Formosa are also big ones too. They aren't game publishers but they're two of the biggest recording companies in LA. So other games might be thrown out of wack if those two don't budge.

Yeah, that's more or less a potential ballpark of what might hypothetically be at stake. Disney Character Voices might prove problematic for Kingdom Hearts as well. If Take 2 have anything for Elder Scrolls in the works there's that as well.

Blindlight and Formosa are also big ones too. They aren't game publishers but they're two of the biggest recording companies in LA. So other games might be thrown out of wack if those two don't budge.

I wouldn't think KH would be a problem. Voice acting for 2.8 should be done? And 3 voice acting won't be any time soon if I had to guess.

Metalmarc

So they have been sitting on this for a year, i wonder if it will affect the Nx? & is it part of the reason for the delay?

e.g Nintendo want to give confirmed dates on certain games , but this is holding them up, i wonder?

I wouldn't think KH would be a problem. Voice acting for 2.8 should be done? And 3 voice acting won't be any time soon if I had to guess.

Yeah, talking about III. I guess we'll see. The issue is that if, say they're aiming for late 2017/early 2018, English VO would likely begin recording soon and thus be within the affected strike timeframe. 2.8 is basically done so that's not an issue.

So they have been sitting on this for a year, i wonder if it will affect the Nx? & is it part of the reason for the delay?

e.g Nintendo want to give confirmed dates on certain games , but this is holding them up, i wonder?

The only SAG-AFTRA, California-based Nintendo games have been Kid Icarus: Uprising and Code Name STEAM. They used Formosa for Fire Emblem: Fates, but that was a non-union project and obviously wouldn't be affected by this. No idea if Zelda is but I highly doubt any delays are because of this.

Corpekata

Banned

There is no way in hell they wield enough power to affect what you're suggesting, especially over Nintendo who often barely require voice actors.

Yeah, talking about III. I guess we'll see. The issue is that if, say they're aiming for late 2017/early 2018, English VO would likely begin recording soon and thus be within the affected strike timeframe. 2.8 is basically done so that's not an issue.

The only SAG-AFTRA, California-based Nintendo games have been Kid Icarus: Uprising and Code Name STEAM. They used Formosa for Fire Emblem: Fates, but that was a non-union project and obviously wouldn't be affected by this. No idea if Zelda is but I highly doubt any delays are because of this.

I wouldn't think late 2017 at all. Maybe 2018 if we were real lucky. They've yet to give a release window.

Also they've practically confirmed 1.5 and 2.5 will be on PS4. So I would imagine a 2.9 would come out FALL 2018. Having 1.5, 2.5, and 2.8.

TissueBox

Ohhh my. I mean it's a noble effort...if things work out well and things change then it'll be worth it. Otherwise I hope this isn't mishandled by either party too much.

Wages, budgets, and payroll are a WIP subject in the industry all around though.

Can we just get some new voice talent please? It's hard to believe that out of nearly 7 billion people we can't find anybody other than Nolan North or Troy Baker. That Spartacus guy in the gears 4 actually did a damn fine job though so there's someone.

Edit: Laura Bailey as well. She's fantastic, but I've heard enough of her.

Elder Scrolls isn't Take 2, it's Bethesda. Take 2 only published Oblivion, as far as I can tell. Now, if we assume that the game Rockstar is teasing is going to pull a Fallout 4 and release quickly, I would think most of the voicework is already done. And whatever game they're working on after that (GTA 6) probably isn't at the voice work stage yet.

If this goes on long enough, it would probably effect whatever story mode they were planning on putting into the next NBA 2K game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
VentureBeat said:
Meanwhile, a law firm representing the companies issued a statement. Scott J. Witlin of the law firm of Barnes & Thornburg said in a statement, “We have negotiated in good faith for the past 18 months with SAG-AFTRA union leaders, and are making progress toward a new contract. We are deeply disappointed to learn today of the union’s threatened strike and its unilateral violation of the mutually agreed upon ‘news black-out’ on negotiation discussions.”

He added, “We consider the Union’s threatened labor action to call a strike precipitous, unnecessary and an action that will only harm their membership. SAG-AFTRA represents performers in less than 25% of the video games on the market. Any strike would not only deny SAG-AFTRA’s membership work, but this would also give their competitors, who do not engage union talent, a leg up while any strike would be in place. The video game companies had already scheduled bargaining sessions this week with SAG-AFTRA union leaders to attempt to reach a mutually beneficial agreement. We expect these negotiations to remain in place, and will continue to attempt to reach a fair and equitable contract despite the Union leadership’s most recent threatened labor action.”

And he said, “The existing contract between video game companies and SAG-AFTRA pays all performers more than $100 an hour plus benefits and most performers many times that. The companies’ current proposals on the negotiation table includes wage increases for most performers and additional avenues for compensation that could yield many hundreds of dollars more in payments for limited integration and ratification bonuses. Although the companies have had only one report of workplace injury due to vocal stress, the companies have continued to look to ways to reduce the burdens on performers in this area through the more flexible work scheduling and other innovative work arrangements. We want to draw attention to the increased economic benefits and working condition improvements being offered because SAG-AFTRA’s website is inaccurate and out of date and does not reflect offers some of which have been on the table for more than a year.”

Lastly, Witlin said, “It is important to note that the video game companies’ upcoming games are already in production and the majority will be unaffected by any SAG-AFTRA strike due to the nature of the ‘no strike provisions’ of the collective bargaining agreement. We anticipate minimal impact on current and near-future game releases. We produce interactive video games for the enjoyment of people around the world and as a result we provide excellent jobs for many SAG-AFTRA members. Reaching a reasonable agreement is in the best interest of all parties, as well as the many fans of our games.”

http://venturebeat.com/2016/10/16/actors-group-sets-strike-date-against-video-game-publishers/
Yeah, I don't see a winning scenario here for SAG-AFTRA, especially given how the video game industry dealt with AFM.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, I don't see a winning scenario here for SAG-AFTRA, especially given how the video game industry dealt with AFM.

On that note, both Halo Wars 2 and Gears of War 4 were recorded in LA, under AFM contracts, I believe.

But yeah, there has been a long, long history of the inability of AFM to have any kind of meaningful foothold, with e.g. EA going to Nashville, and Boston, Texas and Seattle being hotspots for video game work, majority non-union under right-to-work laws.

The Sony E3 presentation was also under the AFM bannner. But in my experience there's a lot more leeway for live performances than there is for recorded material, with a huge point of contention STILL being residuals.

You simply cannot get what your competition is willing to do without, unless there is an overwhelming reason to want to go with your solution instead. Speaking about both the AFM situation and this SAG-AFTRA thing.

Elder Scrolls isn't Take 2, it's Bethesda. Take 2 only published Oblivion, as far as I can tell. Now, if we assume that the game Rockstar is teasing is going to pull a Fallout 4 and release quickly, I would think most of the voicework is already done. And whatever game they're working on after that (GTA 6) probably isn't at the voice work stage yet.

If this goes on long enough, it would probably effect whatever story mode they were planning on putting into the next NBA 2K game.

Oh shit, sorry, I think I got something mixed up. I forgot bethesda's a self-publisher. I might've been thinking of the Oblivion situation you mentioned. My bad.

This is going to delay Mass Effect, isn't it?

Dammit.

If mass effect is march, the voiceover should be done, no?

The reason why the same voice actors are used is because they are good at their jobs.

I will say Rockstar and 2K are on a whole new level when it comes to voice talent though.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The reason why the same voice actors are used is because they are good at their jobs.

I will say Rockstar and 2K are on a whole new level when it comes to voice talent though.
Rockstar and 2K rarely reuse voice talents, (aside from cameos) though.

Poor Laura Bailey, Nolan North, Troy Baker and Jennifer Hale. I don't care about other actors because according to game devs, there aren't any others ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Timeaisis

Yeah, I don't see this working out for them. There's a lot of would-be voice talent out there the industry is just going to move to.

daegan

Blindlight, LLC
Corps of Discovery Films
Formosa Interactive, LLC
Insomniac Games, Inc.
WB Games, Inc.

No Atlus or Sega so I think we're good

Yeah, I don't see this working out for them. There's a lot of would-be voice talent out there the industry is just going to move to.

All they have to do is go to Texas or Vancouver which many already do.

Yeah, even though I'm ethically inclined to side with the strike so that they can get better conditions, I'm tired of the union only pushing a small subset of VAs.
Companies can hire whoever they want, if they're bound by a union contract the only requirement is that they have to pay them union wages. It's the developers themselves who choose to hire the same actors repeatedly because they think they're good (and probably don't pay that much attention to how many other games these people are working on.)

"Non-union" productions in Los Angeles usually have a lot of union actors, either under fake names or the financial core provision. SAG is no doubt sending out threatening letters to anyone suspected of non-union moonlighting right now, warning of repercussions if they try to scab.

Top Bottom