• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Same-sex marriage in Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlike USA Mexico has a lot of problems with same-sex marrigae, so far 3 states have same-sex laws that allow marriage and the rest respect that law, those laws were established in 2009 but unlike USA there isn't any push for more states to create laws about this, this week my state Nuevo León (wich basically it's the mexican equivalent of Texas) gave us these beauties:

El argumento para negarse a tratar los enlaces entre parejas del mismo sexo es que, "si cuestionaran a jóvenes" sobre el tema, "seguramente" dirían que el matrimonio es para tener hijos, pues ahí cristalizan el amor y cosas que "a veces resulta tan difícil de explicar", señala el documento.
Translation
The argument for refusing to address this topic, same-sex marriage is that "if questioned young " about , "probably " would say that marriage is to have children , because they crystallize love and things that "sometimes it so hard to explain , "says the document.
http://www.milenio.com/monterrey/Co...usion_matrimonios_mismo_sexo_0_466153401.html

"(...) la idiosincracia del pueblo Neolones (sic) rechaza la unión matrimonial entre personas del mismo, ello en razón a que si bien dichas relaciones se han llevado a cabo en países como Portugal, Islandia, Noruega, etc., los criterios es que ellos son países desarrollados, y este país es tercer mundista o en vías de desarrollo, por ende, su cultura en modo alguno puede estar a la par del pueblo de Nuevo León", respondieron ante el Juez Tercer de Distrito en Materia Civil y del Trabajo.

Translation
the idiosyncrasies of the Nuevo León's people (sic ) rejects same-sex marriage, that the reason that although these relationships have been conducted in countries like Portugal , Iceland , Norway, etc. , the criteria is that they are developed countries, and our country is a third world country, hence their culture in no way keep up the people of Nuevo León " , responded to the third District Judge Civil and Labour .

http://www.milenio.com/monterrey/ma...les-matrimonios_igualitarios_0_466753340.html

You hear the man guys, it's only for developed countries.

RM8

Lol at the developed country argument. We do have gay marriage in Mexico, they're conveniently forgetting that part, and even though it's only allowed in 3 states, those marriages are officially recognized nation-wide. Even in Nuevo León, with all the legal benefits. Get over it, dumb politicians.

RM8

You really should have put that in the title :p "Mexican congress member: we don't want gay marriage because it's only for developed countries".

Terrell

You hear the man guys, it's only for developed countries.

WOW.

I mean, I sort of get what he's saying and all, because it does seem to be more prominent in the "first world", but I don't think I'd consider Mexico a 3rd-world country.

And besides... perhaps if gay marriage were allowed, there'd be less overpopulation in rural areas caused by the societal mandate to have a heterosexual marriage/have babies, and thus get them out of this supposed 3rd-world status?

When I went to Mexico there were a shit ton of trannies and everyone seemed ok with them.
The problem is not the public's perception, it's the law. The "Genderless dystopia" is not happening here because our lawmakers always find excuses to push the issue at the side. For the people complaining about the USA comparison in 7 years only 2 mexican states and the Distrito Federal perform same-sex marriages the other 29 states don't even bother about creating their own laws about it, but recognice the marriages celebrated in those places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom