• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Introduces New Gear VR with Controller

HotHamBoy

Link

Gear-VR-with-Controller.jpg

For optimal play and convenience, the Controller features an ergonomic, curved design, offering convenient one-hand control and better motion interaction with minimized head movement for a comfortable user experience. In addition, the Controller provides users with:

Various Motion Input for a Better VR Experience – The Touchpad provides quicker selection and interaction in VR apps, enabling various forms of motion, including the ability to point, drag and drop, tilt, shoot, among other actions, while the Trigger allows for enhanced gaming experiences.

Minimized Movement for Long-time Use – The Home, Volume and Back keys located on the Controller give users everything they need in easy reach so that they can keep their focus on immersive content.

A Secure Grip for Comfortable Play – Even during the most active movements, the Controller’s wrist strap offers a secure grip for comfortable and secure play.

For an expansive viewing experience, the Gear VR with Controller offers 42mm lenses with 101-degree FOV (Field of View) and advanced distortion correction technology to minimize motion sickness. The Samsung Gear VR with Controller will support both micro USB and USB Type-C port with a converter in-box. Additionally, the Gear VR will have a strap on the headset to hold the Controller when it is not in use.

The latest edition of the Samsung Gear VR is compatible with the Galaxy S7, S7 edge, Note5, S6 edge+, S6 and S6 edge.

Didn't see a thread, lock if old!

I don't give a shit about having a controller. Did they do anything that will improve the VR itself? (FOV, lens quality, etc?)

Also really curious to see if anything in the Galaxy S8 improves the VR experience.

Cyanity

Banned
Is it still $100? If so, I might pick one up to go with my S7. The lack of native controller for the OG headset was one of its biggest detractions, imo. (edit - Ok its low resolution was the biggest one, let's be honest) . Fixing that problem with added motion control support should be great for gameplay variety as well.

CEJames

Is it still $100? If so, I might pick one up to go with my S7. The lack of native controller for the OG headset was one of its biggest detractions, imo. (edit - Ok its low resolution was the biggest one, let's be honest) . Fixing that problem with added motion control support should be great for gameplay variety as well.

This.

Make it $69.99 and you got a deal.

Yeah, image quality was the biggest problem. So we need to see if this combined with the Galaxy S8 will improve that. If not, I'm not interested. The second biggest problem was the small FOV.

HotHamBoy

wake me up when they finally add inside-out tracking

This is the biggest issue I have with Gear VR. It's the last piece of the puzzle, but it's a huge one.

I recently played the new Gear VR release of Pinball FX2 and not being able to actually move your head around the table is a huge limitation.

Cuburt

I don't give a shit about having a controller. Did they do anything that will improve the VR itself? (FOV, lens quality, etc?)

Also really curious to see if anything in the Galaxy S8 improves the VR experience.

FOV
2015- 96 degrees
2016- 101 degrees
2017- 101 degrees

A quick Google search and actually reading the OP helps alleviate the rage

For an expansive viewing experience, the Gear VR with Controller offers 42mm lenses with 101-degree FOV (Field of View) and advanced distortion correction technology to minimize motion sickness.

I imagine they'll sell the motion controller separately, right? Seems like it'll only be useful once gakes/apps start making use of it, but I'd be willing to try it if it's not too expensive, works on the existing Gear VR, and has enough stuff that it works with.

The new headset seems to barely be much of an improvement to be honest, definitely not a big enough improvement to justify an upgrade.

HotHamBoy

I imagine they'll sell the motion controller separately, right? Seems like it'll only be useful once gakes/apps start making use of it, but I'd be willing to try it if it's not too expensive, works on the existing Gear VR, and has enough stuff that it works with.

The new headset seems to barely be much of an improvement to be honest, definitely not a big enough improvement to justify an upgrade.

I have the first consumer version so a 5 degree FOV boost, plus the controller, might be a reason for me to upgrade.

But hopefully they do sell them seperately.

Cuburt

Yeah, I got the 2016 model and I actually prefer the 2015 model with my s7.

The FoV actually doesn't improve things like I hoped it would and actually made me feel a little sick. It feels pulled too far back but it probably works better for the bigger screen of the Note 7.

This looks and sounds like it's just the 2016 model with a new controller, as far as I can tell.

Wollan

Good. Controller made a huge difference in favor of Daydream. But I still preferred optics of GearVR (and Daydream View has a painful pressure in eyebrow/forehead line).

FOV
2015- 96 degrees
2016- 101 degrees
2017- 101 degrees

A quick Google search and actually reading the OP helps alleviate the rage

Cut the attitude, man. Jeeze.

And ironically, the answer is no. The FOV isn't even better. Which was exactly my point.

Also, it doesn't sound like much at all has changed besides the controller. Which was...exactly my point.

Unless the Galaxy S8 does some great stuff with its screen, image quality and FOV will continue to be Gear VR's problems. Gear VR is a very cool device but I need those things to improve to consider upgrading from the one I already have.

Top Bottom