• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Gundam G Genesis (PS4) is a game that needs to be imported if you like turn TRPGs

Without a doubt, this game is the greatest Fire Emblem game I've ever played. Truth be told, I actually don't care for Fire Emblem (outside of maybe Fire Emblem 7, which was pretty good). Some about it just doesn't click for me. I played through all of Fire Emblem Fates Birthright and I didn't care for it at all.

But this fucking game. Oh boy. It may be a contender for GotY 2016 for me. I got it the day before Christmas, and it's the only game I've been wanting to play ever since. I got Titanfall 2. Haven't touched it.

Full disclosure. I am a Gundam fan. I've seen every series. That might have a bearing on it. BUT I think this game stands up even if you're not a fan of the franchise or mecha.

The level of customization my favorite part. I have two battleships that I'm slowing filling out with bad asses. The roles are: Captain, Deputy Captain, Navigator, Comms, Mechanic and Guest. I'm not entirely sure what Guest does, but the others have very specific things, for example characters with higher mechanics stat heal more damage when your mobile suits return to base. Finding the right characters for the right job is pretty fun IMHO.

I love how pilots are treated as seperate from mobile suits. They gain their own levels and skills, which you can invest points in. Mobile suits also can gain levels as well as equipped with modifications to increase their stats. As they gain levels, mobile suits unlock the ability to be designed into new suits. With a little work, you can take even a Zaku and make it bad ass. Fuck GMs they suck.

The game doesn't really have 1 story. Instead, it tells pretty much series and side series in the Universal Century timeline up through UC 0106. If you like AUs like Gundam Seed Destiny or Gundam AGE (looking at you Dedication Through Light), or G Gundam, you're SoL, though Barbatos from IBO is DLC.

The music in the game is pretty good, mostly arrangements of themes from the shows (and games) they originated from. The sax on "Soldiers of Sorrow" is a little odd though.

Graphics... Not going to light, it does look a little cheap. Like a very nice SNES game on the tactical map. Animations are pretty freaking cool though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Czfzw9xGM

Although the game is not available in America, it IS available in English. Import it through the SEA PSN store!

As someone who's played some of the G Gen games
and is involved in fan translating one
, you're massively overhyping this game. It's a fairly simple combat system mechanically and is more suited for casual play than anything in depth. It's also super fucking grindy and repetitive, due to the fact that it doesn't have shorter, procedurally generated skirmish maps to keep things fresh. It's a game focused on showing giant robots doing cool things, and it does an okay job at that, but it's nothing compared to XCOM:EW/2 or even the Harebrained Schemes Shadowrun games.

RRockman

Banned
BRUUUUH you freaking know it. I HAD to get it because it was the first officially translated SD gundam strategy game and I wasn't disappointed. There's stats for operating a mobile suit, stats for being support on a ship and while everyone has a specialty anyone could get in any suit. There's also Chance step which is freaking awesome. (For FE fans: EVERYONE gets Galeforce and the stages are designed with this in mind so it can get pretty hectic FAST.)

Also Rachel Ransom is best girl.

As someone who's played some of the G Gen games
and is involved in fan translating one
, you're massively overhyping this game. It's a fairly simple combat system mechanically and is more suited for casual play than anything in depth. It's also super fucking grindy and repetitive, due to the fact that it doesn't have shorter, procedurally generated skirmish maps to keep things fresh. It's a game focused on showing giant robots doing cool things, and it does an okay job at that, but it's nothing compared to XCOM:EW/2 or even the Harebrained Schemes Shadowrun games.

Compared to XCOM? Sure. But is that really a bad thing?

Top Bottom