• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos Doesn't Know about Education

Alternate title: "Betsy DeVos Doesn't know ****," but you know, family-friendly and all that.

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos appeared on CBS’s “60 Minutes” Sunday night and stumbled in answering questions that journalist Lesley Stahl asked during a pointed interview.

Stahl repeatedly challenged the education secretary, at one point suggesting that DeVos should visit underperforming public schools to learn about their problems. DeVos responded, “Maybe I should.” The secretary also said she is “not so sure exactly” how she became, as Stahl described her, “the most hated” member of President Trump’s Cabinet but believes that she is “misunderstood.”

These are just some of the things that DeVos said — or couldn’t answer — during the interview:

• She couldn’t say whether the number of false accusations of sexual assault on school campuses is lower than the number of actual rapes or assaults.
  • Arming teachers “should be an option” for states and communities, she said, even though she couldn’t “ever imagine” her first-grade teacher, Mrs. Zorhoff, having had a gun.
  • “We have invested billions and billions and billions of dollars from the federal level, and we have seen zero results,” DeVos said — a statement Stahl challenged.
  • “I hesitate to talk about all schools in general because schools are made up of individual students attending them.”
  • In reference to the #MeToo movement, she said she experienced moments decades ago that “today would just be viewed as unacceptable.”
Excerpt clip

Full 60 Minutes Interview can be found here

For those who can't watch video can find some transcript in the WP article, here.

Hate so hard that you'd vote to jeopardize your own children's futures (and thus, the country's) brehs!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Those bullet points don't really highlight anything of interest...

Can you explain in more depth here? Because I see extremely questionable answers and statements that have been, as per the article challenged.

Calling something a "fake controversy" because it doesn't align with your political views, isn't bringing much to the conversation.

BANGS

Banned
Can you explain in more depth here?
What is there to explain? There are bullet points in the OP and none of them are intriguing enough for me to give the article a read. Spinning that and loading my own post isn't gonna change that...

If she actually said anything worth reading, this topic wouldn't have devolved to such petty nonsense as fast as it did...

Holy fuck that whole thing was clown shoes.

Bangs that is a logical fallacy and you should know that.

Last edited by a moderator:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
What is there to explain? There are bullet points in the OP and none of them are intriguing enough for me to give the article a read. Spinning that and loading my own post isn't gonna change that...

If she actually said anything worth reading, this topic wouldn't have devolved to such petty nonsense as fast as it did...

It devoted into "petty nonsense"? As far as I can see, you are the only one saying that in here. Plus we are discussing. Bring up some valid points, and we can talk about them instead of being needlessy dismissive. Or maybe you just have nothing to say?

An actual conversation would be nice.

MC Safety

A
Hate so hard that you'd vote to jeopardize your own children's futures (and thus, the country's) brehs!

Betsy DeVos being dumb and incompetent -- and she is absolutely both -- is not really the issue.

If you want to promote your child's future, that begins with you. You have to show your children the value of an education and enforce on them the importance of learning. We lament class sizes, school funding, building maintenance and etc., and it's all important, but not half as much as parents demanding their children make the most of their educations.

DeVos is just a stupid woman who's made for an excellent scapegoat.

BANGS

Banned
Or maybe you just have nothing to say?
PRETTY sure I made that clear in my first post... my fault for responding further unnecessarily. MC Safety pretty much summed up my thoughts on it. Proceed with your discussion...

It devoted into "petty nonsense"? As far as I can see, you are the only one saying that in here..
See below...
Alternate title: "Betsy DeVos Doesn't know ****," but you know, family-friendly and all that.
You can only lead a horse to water....
Calling something a "fake controversy" because it doesn't align with your political views
So long as they're "screwing dem lib ruhls", they don't care

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Betsy DeVos being dumb and incompetent -- and she is absolutely both -- is not really the issue.

If you want to promote your child's future, that begins with you. You have to show your children the value of an education and enforce on them the importance of learning. We lament class sizes, school funding, building maintenance and etc., and it's all important, but not half as much as parents demanding their children make the most of their educations.

Certainly it's up to the parents to headline their children's education but I am not for homeschooling, and I do believe that a healthy education system is key in properly raising a child. So we are on the same page here. But it's hard for education to get better, when it's Secretary knows so little about it. She's not a scapegoat. She's simply not fit for the job. She struggles to answer questions about the field she's in charge of. Plus I personally have problems with her views about mixing education and religion. I'd rather the system stay secular, but your mileage may vary on that. Can't judge faith, after all.

Last edited:

gioGAF

I don't see how privatizing education will help the people that are in trouble now. People without money would get shit on as usual.

Education is a tricky area, the people who rise to the top to make policy are usually "politicians" and not "expert educators". They don't seem to have any idea about what to actually do, they only have vague concepts to follow. Most of all they have no expertise in education.

Betty DeVos is rich af, she has never set foot in a class room as a teacher.

Don't take this personally, but I've always been of the mind that getting your news via twitter vids is a good way to determine your cluelessness...

I personally would have to be pretty thirsty to drink that water... We just had a topic on this subject: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/bill...ersies-in-media.1461289/page-2#post-253204939

I posted that clip from twitter because it was the longest.

I also linked to WP *AND* the full 13-minute interview segment from 60 Minutes (dot) com.

Stop making excuses.

Your post reeks of reeks of jingoism, but as Stahl asked DeVos, have you actually been to a school in Detroit?

Baltimore schools trying to survive the winter with no heat.

How do you "make the most out of your education" if you live in a state that ranks in the bottom in education?

In my home state alone, 75 failing schools.

And so on.

DeVos isn't a scapegoat. She's in charge of education in the US. If anything, her post is an indictment that America doesn't care about education at all. Your speech about parents pushing your kids is the exact opposite of how people voted.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
What’s the background on DeVos? The Twitter video and bullet points aren’t particularly incriminating but some here seem to have a bone to pick with her.

MC Safety

I

Your post reeks of reeks of jingoism, but as Stahl asked DeVos, have you actually been to a school in Detroit?

Baltimore schools trying to survive the winter with no heat.

How do you "make the most out of your education" if you live in a state that ranks in the bottom in education?

In my home state alone, 75 failing schools.

And so on.

DeVos isn't a scapegoat. She's in charge of education in the US. If anything, her post is an indictment that America doesn't care about education at all. Your speech about parents pushing your kids is the exact opposite of how people voted.

I taught at a pretty crappy high school. Underfunded and with poor facilities. So, yes.

David___

Banned
What’s the background on DeVos? The Twitter video and bullet points aren’t particularly incriminating but some here seem to have a bone to pick with her.
Her and her family donated millions to Republican campaigns, which is why she got the job in the first place.

Sàmban

Banned
Betsy DeVos is the epitome of everything I hate about the Republican Party. She literally got her position because she’s rich, doesn’t know what the fuck she’s doing, and is too ignorant to recognize that she doesn’t know anything.

This is the same thing that is destroying a lot of third world countries. Rich people elect their clueless friends or family members into positions of power who then come and fuck shit up beyond repair.

But hey, gotta “own dem libs”

Oh hey, drain the swamp right?

No? The cabinet positions were literally pay to play positions that were done off the back of lobbying and background deals?

It's almost like the Republican party runs off of hypocrisy.

She is about as qualified for her position as Trump is for his position.

Lisa Simpson [Elizabeth] is going to have her work cut out for her in fixing this administration’s mess.

Last edited:

llien

I'd welcome what has been said verbatim to bullet points.
It is also hard to see what some those points have to do with education.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
She's a rich woman who bought a cabinet position. She has no knowledge or care about education. Her brother is another crook that was a stooge fro Trump.

I don't like DeVos, but education experts don't know anything about education either.
Throwing money and iPads at elementary schools while recess, music, art, and physical education are slowly eliminated.
Outcome-based education is almost completely disregarded.

They are also complicit in the gross overmedication of our young.

rokkerkory

How is Devos handling all these strikes across Oklahoma, W Virginia, and Kentucky? It's not just about wages but supplies, crumbling books, run down class rooms.

What is going with school funding in these states? I mean what the hell?

180403115647-03-oklahoma-textbooks-desks-exlarge-169.jpg

Top Bottom