• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate GOP aims to release new health bill by week’s end

"I think it comes down to the fact that he doesn't really care that much about health care," one Republican aide said of Trump. "He just wants it done so he can fulfill that promise."

Quelle surprise. But this statement still strikes me as hilarious because Republicans care about health care about as much as Trump seeing how readily they tried to pass legislation to kill people rather than protect them

UberTag

It sounds HORRIBLE. Selling healthcare plans to people, promising low costs that don't cover anything is what they're trying to swing here.
Isn't this the health care equivalent of what led to the housing crisis? Selling people paper health insurance on a basis of lies that's ultimately worthless when they actually need to use it?

I have a feeling that, were it not for the Tea Party/Freedom Caucus, the GOP would be far more open to the idea of working with Democrats on fixing/changing Obamacare. But as long as the far-right chunk of the party holds as much sway as it does, a full-on repeal is the only thing they'll accept. To them, working with Democrats is tantamount to treason.
Working with Democrats = Treason
Working with the Russians = That's All Fine and Good

Trump couldn't write a book report on a goosebumps story

when he looks at the healthcare bill he sees heiroglyphics. he's not even close to being able to comprehend that stuff.

Shauni

Lol, this is exactly why that thread Based on McCain's statement on the health bill was met by nothing but eye rolls.

Based on the post above you, I don't know, it still could be true. The fact that Trump seems to be almost completely abandoning selling this makes me think there's not a lot of faith in this.

I guess there was no way for them to get rid of the CBO before this? That's the only way this was ever gonna work. You can't pass a bill that's horrible for the American people when you're giving out official analysis that it's horrible for the American people.

Considering how far Republicans have gone into a propaganda filled echo chamber, I'm really surprised that this wasn't one of their first targets.

The CBO is needed to make sure the bill can go through reconciliation, it'll also be needed for when they move to tax reform and larger budget bills.

btrboyev

Obama also knew his bill backwards and forwards, you think Trump could even talk about it for five minutes without drifting off to how big his win was or how evil CNN is?

I'll call you out there. Obama probably didn't know his bill in and out because he made claims that weren't entirely accurate. Still he was mostly educated on the bill and actively worked on it.

Trump couldn't write a book report on a goosebumps story

when he looks at the healthcare bill he sees heiroglyphics. he's not even close to being able to comprehend that stuff.

images

Isn't this the health care equivalent of what led to the housing crisis? Selling people paper health insurance on a basis of lies that's ultimately worthless when they actually need to use it?

Medical bankruptcy is a good thing. It will create jobs for the court system and debt collectors. Don't you care about job creators?

What would something like this entail? It doesn't sound bad on the surface, but coming from those two it can't be good.

These plans would cover virtually nothing and would only contribute to the major problem obamacare was trying to solve. Uninsured people don't get turned away by hospitals, they get treated and when they can't afford to pay the arbitrary and unaffordable costs, that bill is passed onto the tax payers. Are you allowed to drive a car in your state without liability insurance?

mnannola

"You know what everyone hates about Obamacare? The tax on the rich! That should be our main priority!"

Fucking dumbasses.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I was under the impression that without passing a new health plan, trump would be unable to move forward on a bunch of other key issues, in particular tax reform. Which would dead him in the water for a very long time and further solidify him as a lame duck. Which is why he wanted this passed no matter what and was laying into republicans heavy to get it done no matter what.

Mitch McConnell and co are not dumb, they are evil.

Mitch McConnell is pretty dumb, and this entire healthcare nonsense is a good example of that.

It doesn't take brains to tell Obama "no" every 5 minutes. As it turns out, he isn't really good at his job when he has to actually do stuff

JettDash

Mitch McConnell is pretty dumb, and this entire healthcare nonsense is a good example of that.

It doesn't take brains to tell Obama "no" every 5 minutes. As it turns out, he isn't really good at his job when he has to actually do stuff

His goal is to give tax cuts to the rich not to improve the US healthcare system.

His goal is to give tax cuts to the rich not to improve the US healthcare system.
Exactly, and they need to shift a good amount of that healthcare spending in order to do so, beyond the amounts being "saved" in order to bribe reps for votes.

Its been plainly obvious for some time where there priorities lie, and its never been about improving healthcare.

They know it. We know it. But yet they'll play this game and hope their donors appreciate it at least.

sangreal

Don't worry, more people will be uninsured with this one. Because I mean, at this point, why the fuck not do that GOP? You don't seem to give a shit about the populace at large.

Under this plan, more people would be insured but they would be underinsured because they'll have worthless plans that don't cover anything useful or have caps, etc. There are a lot of idiots that insist they want these plans

Dynasty

You would think with the GOP bashing Obamacare before its conception so 8-9 years, they would have had the time to make a great healthcare plan that a republican controlled presidency, senate and house, would be able to push there healthcare easily. I guess they never had a plan and I hope it continues to bute them in the ass.

sangreal

You would think with the GOP bashing Obamacare before its conception so 8-9 years, they would have had the time to make a great healthcare plan that a republican controlled presidency, senate and house, would be able to push there healthcare easily. I guess they never had a plan and I hope it continues to bute them in the ass.

They had a plan (Better Way) but they let Paul Ryan write it and he is an absolutely terrible legislator who doesn't even understand how insurance works. I guess the rest of them never bothered to read it

Ogodei

They need to do it, otherwise their whole domestic agenda is stalled and they'll go down as one of the most ineffective "united" governments in US history.

Not to say that they'll do it, because this bill really is that electorally toxic to be worth derailing the rest of their agenda over, but they have a reason to hold their noses and vote.

norm9

This reminds of me of the story of I belive it was Hitchcock when he was trying to get Psycho past the censors. They kept denying it, so he just sent the same cut to them and they finally said it was fine.

Top Bottom