• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously it's 2022, why does xbox not have a volume control on OS level?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I got so hyped over the new OS update so we could control the volume.

Volume my ass.

It's a nice change we can disable the start up sound, and because I use sound speakers that's either get muted or goes concert level of volume, I've been using the spotify app to change my volume in games.

Then I saw what the update was supposed to give me.
32QK5FX.jpg

But I'm stuck with this shit.

6kV8CxJ.jpg

Apparently you have to have a kinect or some IR peripheral that can help you change the volume.

Why don't just fucking make it possible to change the volume from zero to hundred

You had one job.

/Rant

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Many, many options to help you with this. Easiest being to use a headset with an integrated volume control, which I think is all of them. Or, get a speaker system with a remote.

With that said, it is odd that they never bothered to include a master volume on the sound output, it has always been a feature of Windows.

Last edited:

The_Mike

why having a speaker system has has either no sound or way to loud? i think the problem is not with the xbox but with your sound system

My speakers works fine on my computer, but for some reason when they are plugged into my pc monitor, just a tiny adjustment on the volume knob either mutes it or makes it a concert, that's how fragile the control is when plugged into my monitor.

Many, many options to help you with this. Easiest being to use a headset with an integrated volume control, which I think is all of them. Or, get a speaker system with a remote.

But I don't want to play with a headset, I want to use my speakers.

Theres no excuse for not just having a volume control on a OS level.

The picture even looks like it has it just not on my xbox.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Go into settings tv/display options ,device control , check console sends volume control

DaGwaphics

My speakers works fine on my computer, but for some reason when they are plugged into my pc monitor, just a tiny adjustment on the volume knob either mutes it or makes it a concert, that's how fragile the control is when plugged into my monitor.

You are using the 3.5mm on the monitor for the connection? If yes, have you tried lowering the volume from the monitor itself, should reduce the output to the speakers (or maybe increase the level if the signal is to weak for the speakers causing the lower volumes to be completely muted). I often use headphones running from my monitor and can only have the volume on the monitor at 50% with further adjustment done from the headphones themselves or the source PC.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's a volume control on the guide if I'm using headphones plugged in the controller.

Is that what you mean ?

The_Mike

Go into settings tv/display options ,device control , check console sends volume control

I need remote codes and everything for that. I don't think I have any.

There's a volume control on the guide if I'm using headphones plugged in the controller.

Is that what you mean ?

If you look at the first screenshot. It shows the volume settings from the menu, and from there you can press some volume control button.

But as you see on my screenshot I don't have that option

NeonGhost

I need remote codes and everything for that. I don't think I have any.

If you look at the first screenshot. It shows the volume settings from the menu, and from there you can press some volume control button.

But as you see on my screenshot I don't have that option
You don’t need remote codes

NeonGhost

I’m gonna just gonna assume your setup doesn’t have HDMI cec So you blame Microsoft for your out dated equipment

The_Mike

I’m gonna just gonna assume your setup doesn’t have HDMI cec So you blame Microsoft for your out dated equipment

I don't even know what hdmi cec is but yeah I blame Microsoft for not having something as simple as volume control in 2022.

Imagine having a PC where you couldn't adjust the volume through windows but only on the monitors.

Akuji

he has stated hes using a monitor. Never did see one that had ARC/e-ARC/CEC.

But yeah the problem is your monitor not the xbox. Get a control volume knob and set ur monitor Volume to max while having it controlled by an external device.

NeonGhost

I don't even know what hdmi cec is but yeah I blame Microsoft for not having something as simple as volume control in 2022.

Imagine having a PC where you couldn't adjust the volume through windows but only on the monitors.
It’s pretty simple for me I have volume up ,down and mute all from my controller

The_Mike

he has stated hes using a monitor. Never did see one that had ARC/e-ARC/CEC.

But yeah the problem is your monitor not the xbox. Get a control volume knob and set ur monitor Volume to max while having it controlled by an external device.

Why is it my monitors problem?

I've tried on my other xbox connected to a TV. Same problem.

I don't get why you guys defend it. All my other peripherals can't be turned down in volume with their remote, but for some reason xbox doesn't have it in the OS.

I need to use Spotify to lower the sound because the OS ain't capable of it.

Akuji

if you dont know shit then just be quit.

Check my post history iam on the forefront to blaming microsoft but its a digital output.
Its like buying a CD Player and being angry there no volume control. You want full bandwith and full dynamic for everything expect where u limit it to your liking.

Get a system that works, wtf. U want xbox volume control, monitor volume control, game volume control etc and when something is not on the level u want you need to have 20 things andjusted with gain structures of systems you even lose sound quality and introduce other problems to your sound system

god i have when people say stuff like that with no knowledge at all about how those systems work and looking at the wrong place for their solution.

GHG

I'm not sure you can control the volume in the way you want to without using HDMI ARC/CEC tbh.

I don't get why you guys defend it. All my other peripherals can't be turned down in volume with their remote, but for some reason xbox doesn't have it in the OS.

If you're connected to a TV you need to enable HDMI CEC. You will need to enable it for that HDMI port in the TV settings, you might also have to delve into the Xbox settings and also enable it there.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I'm not sure you can control the volume in the way you want to without using HDMI ARC/CEC tbh.

But why can my pc, my android box etc but not the Xbox?

Spotify can turn the volume up and down, but the Xbox can't. I can't see why it's this complicated.

I just have to start it each time I open a new game which is annoying.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

Because any device need HDMI CEC if you want it to control your tv

GHG

But why can my pc, my android box etc but not the Xbox?

Spotify can turn the volume up and down, but the Xbox can't. I can't see why it's this complicated.

I just have to start it each time I open a new game which is annoying.

Ok can you explain what your setup looks like?

How do you connect your monitor and speakers to your PC/android box and how are you connecting it to the Xbox? Are there any differences between the setups?

Because without knowing it's impossible to tell you where the problem is without assuming it's a HDMI CEC issue.

Last edited:

The_Mike

Because any device need HDMI CEC if you want it to control your tv

I'm not using a TV but a gaming monitor.

My pc can turn the volume up and down on it. My android box can as well.

But I need to use Spotify on xbox to adjust the volume.

NeonGhost

I'm not using a TV but a gaming monitor.

My pc can turn the volume up and down on it. My android box can as well.

But I need to use Spotify on xbox to adjust the volume.
spotify isn’t actually changing the volume it’s increasing game out put or music out
just except your system is old and outdated getnwith the times

Last edited:

GHG

spotify isn’t actually changing the volume it’s increasing game out put or music out

Yep, Spotify will be changing the volume within the app, rather than communicating directly with the device in order to change the volume.

The_Mike

Ok can you explain what your setup looks like?

How do you connect your monitor and speakers to your PC/android box and how are you connecting it to the Xbox? Are there any differences between the setups?

PC to monitor through display port
Xbox through hdmi.

On pc you literally have a volume settings where you can choose volume up and down.

Xbox doesn't.

My other xbox on my TV through hdmi
Android box on TV through hdmi.

Android box can turn volume up and down.

Xbox can't.

MarkMe2525

Make sure you have hdmi-cec enabled on the hdmi port your xbox is plugged into. I have been using this feature for a few months and it works perfectly fine with my soundbar.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Why are you blaming xbox for a feature that for the most part hasn't been in most consoles? You do realize that probably 99% of these machines are hooked to tv's. If you had a modern TV and sound bar, you could use arc no problem. If you had a sound system, you would want to use that. Or a harmony remote.

That said, probably could be added at os level if people really want it. But it would probably lead to more issues than benefits, I can just see xbox calls to supprt for "no sound" in the thousands as it's accidentally turned down by the kids.

Also, doesn't every game have its own volume controls anyhow, couldn't you just use that?

NeonGhost

Why are you blaming xbox for a feature that for the most part hasn't been in most consoles? You do realize that probably 99% of these machines are hooked to tv's. If you had a modern TV and sound bar, you could use arc no problem. If you had a sound system, you would want to use that. Or a harmony remote.

That said, probably could be added at os level if people really want it. But it would probably lead to more issues than benefits, I can just see xbox calls to supprt for "no sound" in the thousands as it's accidentally turned down by the kids.

Also, doesn't every game have its own volume controls anyhow, couldn't you just use that?
Cardi B It Makes Sense GIF by Genius

Akuji

Xbox through hdmi.

On pc you literally have a volume settings where you can choose volume up and down.

Xbox doesn't.

Xbox can't.

u can control the volume because you had a DAC on your mainboard which is what you control. Thats why u need Diver for your Audio. Windows wont control volume when u go out digital. Because the next device in the chain is supposed to control the volume.
The reasoning behind this is that you get full dynamic range for your audio source quality. When u lover the "volume" of your chain before the final amplification you squish the sound resulting in everything has the same volume, the guitar the singer etc pp.

Thats why u want only one device to control volume. That u reduce the negatives effects as much as possible. Otherwise you have 50% input volume but want 100% then you would have to amp the reduced sound quality an extra 100% for giggles.
Introducing worse SNR/Dynamic etc pp. its just plain wrong.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Xbox through hdmi.

Xbox doesn't.

Xbox can't.
If you go audio out from your monitor to some cheap PC speakers or soundbar most have a volume control on them and fixes this issue instead of going into any OS level setting to change volume

GHG

Xbox through hdmi.

Xbox doesn't.

Xbox can't.

You can control volume on your monitor via displayport but consoles output via hdmi and rely on HDMI CEC in order to be able to communicate with the display device and adjust it's volume.

Unless your monitor supports HDMI CEC (which I assume it doesn't) then there's no way you will be able to adjust the volume unless you do so manually.

You could try a Displayport to HDMI cable but no guarantee it will work.

For your other xbox check your TV's hdmi spec and whether it supports HDMI CEC. You probably just need to turn it on via the settings on the xbox.

Last edited:

CuNi

As to OPs question why Windows can do it, and his Android box but not the XBOX, I'd say it's simple a design choice considering the use case.
Windows and most likely the Android box, have been designed with monitors in mind, so they adjust the total system volume.
They have a build in "Sound Mixer", where you can even lower single application volumes.

The XBOX, being a console, is designed with the idea of it being hooked up to a TV so the idea is for the volume to be adjusted on the TV and the console output with a static "Volume".
No person would lower the volume of the TV through in-app settings, and everyone would use the remote.
Now since Smart TVs became a thing and TVs became more interconnected with A/V Setups, Soundbars etc. CEC was invented, where one device can send certain commands through HDMI to the other device.
This works both way, TV to XBOX and XBOX to TV. If your TV doesn't support CEC, then they cannot communicate.

On my setup, I can even move the cursor on the dashboard using the TV remote.
Since OP is using a monitor and 99% of those most likely have no CEC compatibility (why should they), there is no way for the XBOX to control the volume.
The Spotify-App Solution sounds more like a "Lifehack" than the intended use-case for this situation.

elliot5

This is the dumbest thread ive ever seen maybe. The october update post you got the pic from literally says “Xbox Series X|S consoles can use an HDMI feature called Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) to send commands to and from CEC-enabled devices such as TVs that are connected to the console.” In the first sentence.

If you dont know what CEC is why are you bitching about not having it lmao. IE your monitor speakers or whatever are still at the same level.

Windows can control volume because its changing the mix of the volume not the hardware level volume.

Having a volume mixer at the system level of the xbox is likely not a smart idea because youd have morons dropping their volume thinking it was impacting the tv / sound system volume too and blowing out their ears.

Last edited:

light2x

I agree it should have it. It sucks the only time you're able to use volume control is through headphones.

dudemcgrude

Neo Member
I know the Xbox startup sound is loud, which is why I mute or turn my avs down. This is a highly solvable, and I would t even categorize it as a problem as the Xbox does not go into distortion line levels. Line level distortion would be unforgivable and armature

DaGwaphics

Yep, Spotify will be changing the volume within the app, rather than communicating directly with the device in order to change the volume.

I think that's the functionality he would like from the xbox in general, just the ability to control the output volume to the hdmi, not so much changing the monitor volume via the console. Similar to how you have master volume control on Windows/Android.

Last edited:
Top Bottom