• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Service Industry GAF of Weeds, Stiffers and Pinche Lavaplatos

So I've actually been sitting on this thread idea for quite some time, but it wasn't until now that I finally pulled the trigger on it.

This is the thread where those of us in the service industry make peace, say hello and vent to one another, and share war stories.

It doesn't matter if you're a server...

ib0GEQuvVlHf3p.gif

... a chef...

tumblr_mhgiu6Q9kE1r36jpso1_400.gif

... or a bartender...

an-Bartender.gif

... this will be our haven.

I suppose I'll start the introductions. I work BoH, currently a junior sous chef. I dropped out of college because I realized I loved cooking more than what I was going to school for, and I haven't regretted leaving school yet. Ultimate goal for me is to reach the point where I can open a ten-seat fine dining restaurant where the menu changes seasonally every day. Of course, to get to the point where you have the sway and ability to pull off an endeavor like that, I've gotta hit the best restaurants in the US and Japan that I can. Right now I'm in Austin, TX and I'll probably stick around here for a few years since the food scene is pretty good; but ultimately I want to spend some time in New York City, San Diego, and Japan.

So that's me. Wouldn't leave this secret society of politically-unacceptable misfits we call the back-of-the-house, its just too accommodating.

What about you? I know we litter the ranks of GAF, let your voice be known.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I've done a couple red lobsters, a different seafood franchise, and a corinos.

I remember one time I tried to get a hostess to go on a date with me. So I wrote my number on a paper and just handed it to her and said "call me if you have free time". To this day it remains in the top 5 cringiest things I've done.

86 CONFIDENCE

hoggert

RAGELOPE

Never going to go back to service, but best of luck to those who have to deal with all those shitty people. Like those that push their food on the floor when the servers don't refer to them as "sir." Happened to me once and my boss chased them out with a broom. It was great until he handed me the broom afterwards 😖

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What's your guys' biggest tip? $20 for me. Usually made $80 a night or so, but I know there are places where servers and bartenders make hundreds of dollars a night.

Top Bottom