• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Vengeance releases June 14th 2024 [Multiplatform]

StereoVsn

Yeah, I thought about this a little bit more recently, and since I've resisted the launch FOMO, and I'll be waiting for the inevitable re-release of P3R with FeMC and The Answer DLC before picking it up.
They did say The Answer will come as DLC but no FeMC… because you just know they will release P3 Reloaded Lets Try to Load Together version in couple of years.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
A bit off topic but I'm a bit irritated that Unicorn Overlord has no phys PS4 edition in the West. If the JP version is multi language I might pick it up, but otherwise that's waiting for a deep discount for the digital version.

Nope. They're just taking it slower than usual to put the pre-order listings up.
Matt Bomer Sigh GIF by BuzzFeed

Rambone

Pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe on Steam, I saw that pre-orders were up on Amazon as well.

I'm hoping somebody will have a day-1 ultra wide screen mod available and the frame rate can go 120 fps or higher. I've been itching to replay SMT V for quite awhile now but was holding off for a PC release.

F31 Leopard

I always order/pre-order on VGP. I provided links for all 3 systems.

Switch steelbook

PS5 steelbook

XSX steelbook

Last edited:
Finally got my day one, steelbook edition pre ordered on Amazon, but it was tricky. Earlier today I checked and they had the links to the versions but they said they were all sold out, so I added it to the notify list. Checked back and couldn't find a link anywhere, but when I checked my notify list it was there and available for pre order. But then I clicked on the order page and it wouldn't go to the product page. Weirdness.

Yes and it comes with two routes.

One is Canon of Creation (story of original release)

Second one is Canon of Vengeance (new story)

You can choose at beginning of the game.
So glad I waited. I can’t stand playing games on the switch. Nintendo 1st party is fine, but everything else runs like garbage, so it’s nice that I’ll be able to check this game out now.

So it looks like the Steelbook edition is 'sold out' on Amazon US, but you can still grab this SKU from VGP or PNP.

Damn, not even the VA for SMT5 main protagonist managed in grabbing the Steelbook version... Atlus better fix this shit asap lol.

Last edited:

LordCBH

So it looks like the Steelbook edition is 'sold out' on Amazon US, but you can still grab this SKU from VGP or PNP.

Damn, not even the VA for SMT5 main protagonist managed in grabbing the Steelbook version... Atlus better fix this shit asap lol.

Went up while I was playing pathfinder last night and as soon as I found out like minutes later all the links said “unavailable.”

How’d rhey fuck this up….

Mozzarella

I dont like Atlus policy regarding add-on content, they add the content and re-release the game for full price, this is greedy.

Famitsu had previously published an excerpt of a developer interview for Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance from this week’s issue of Weekly Famitsu magazine #1839. With the release of the issue today, the full interview featuring director Shigeo Komori and character designer Masayuki Doi has been released, and the translated version can be read below.

New Story Scenario​

First of all, please tell us about the process involved with planning Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance.

Komori: It seems players enjoyed the previous work, Shin Megami Tensei V, more than we had expected. We received a lot of positive feedback from both within Japan and from international audiences. As players delved deeper into the game, we started to receive feedback that there was room for improvement, and we took a look at those issues.

Doi: For example, we received praise for the quality of models for the demons that were bought into 3D for the first time for the first time since the mainline title Nocturne, but we also had comments stating that there should have been more demons.

The total number has certainly increased. Furthermore, it seems that this work also includes an “expansion” that goes further than just improvements.

Komori:
In the previous title, there were many details and background behind the story, but many of these were not touched on in the actual narrative. This was simply because there was no compelling reason to delve deeply into those aspects for depicting the story of the previous game. However, when this project began I started thinking about how to bring these elements into focus. A story about another possibility which could have occurred… This is the idea behind the “Canon of Vengeance” arc.

It seems that players are prompted to choose a route at the beginning of the story, but which should they choose first?

Komori:
If you haven’t played the previous game’s story, the “Canon of Creation,” it’s perfectly fine to start with the “Canon of Vengeance.” Both stories share the same beginning, but over time various changes will occur in events, conversations and with battles taking place in different locations. Even if you clear one route and then start the other, you will start to feel like the two stories are becoming more and more out of sync, despite following the same world and timeline.

What is the reason for choosing “vengeance” as the theme, as indicated in the title?

Komori:
In the previous work, the “Canon of Creation,” the story revolves around creating a world, and in the background to that, there is the “Snake God” and the “Ox God.” The story of the previous work was, in some aspects, told from the perspective of the Ox God. When you dig deeper into the Snake God, you find legends where it is subjugated by the Ox God and its followers.

Some of these relationships were hinted at in the nuances of the dialogue and designs of the demons, but this was not a main focus of the story. So for Vengeance, we wanted to structure a story from the Snake God’s perspective, a tale of revenge by the oppressed. Our planners, including Doi and the development team then suggested which demons would be appropriate for this approach.

New Characters and Character Changes​

Leading this is the four female demons known as the Qadištu, right? This might be an unfamiliar name to many readers, but please tell us how you interpret it in this work.

Doi:
The Qadištu is a demon that I strongly proposed and was eventually incorporated. The original “Qadištu” is a Sumerian term, referring to those who served the gods of that era or those in positions similar to priestesses. There are various interpretations of what the Qadištu actually did, but in this work, we interpret it as “the oppressed,” intertwining it with the theme of the story. In expressing the chaotic elements focused on the Snake God, I believe that by introducing demons that tempt people, lead them astray, and bring about ruin would add depth to the story.

Chaotic elements… That’s intriguing. Currently, only Lilith, the leader of the Qadištu, has had her name revealed. May I inquire about her design concept?

Doi:
In terms of concept, we aimed to embody the primal form of the female demon as described in the Jewish Talmud and Zohar. We infused the design with defiance against the creator and Adam, along with seductiveness, beauty and ugliness intertwined, typical demon traits, and the dignity of a female demon leader.

How about the new human character called Yoko?

Doi:
Actually, there was a time during the development of the previous game when we were considering having Yoko appear. Ultimately, we decided against it, but she plays an important role in depicting the revenge story in this title, so we are very excited to have her included this time.

Along with her interactions with the Qadištu, the addition of new characters to the relationships among the main characters will reveal different aspects of the existing characters compared to the “Canon of Creation” arc. In some cases, the presence of Yoko and the Qadištu may trigger significant changes in the relationships with existing characters as well.

I see. Watching the released PV, Tao’s dialogue seems to suggest that…?

Doi:
Tao in the “Canon of Creation” arc appears to be the typical honor student type, but what kind of aspect she will show in the “Canon of Vengeance” arc… I would like you to experience that in the game itself.

Komori: In the previous title, there were many comments expressing how they wished the relationships between characters would have been explored more in depth, so we addressed that in the two main scenarios and additional quests in this game. Through each scenario, you should be able to gain a deeper understanding of each character’s inner workings and motivations

New Mechanics​

I assume the evolution of mechanics and new elements will be gradually revealed in future updates, but could you give us a few examples? For instance, in the PV, the protagonist is seen running through the air…?

Komori:
That’s the “Magatsu Road,” a feature that makes field exploration more convenient. By finding these locations, you can create shortcuts in your journey and discover new demons, quests, and other enjoyable surprises.

I’m also curious about the special passive skills added to all demons.

Komori:
In the previous game, certain demons had unique skills, and we have added to those this time, but there’s also another aspect akin to “traits” that all demons possess. This allows for weaker demons from the previous work to find new utility, or combinations with specific skills might make them strong. It encourages players to try out different compositions than in the previous title.

I see. It seems like a feature where those who enjoy tactical thinking will feel the changes the most.

Komori:
Additionally, we’ve added a feature for doubling the battle speed to increase the game tempo, and we’ve revisited level scaling (where enemy strength varies depending on the party’s level), allowing for lower-level parties to defeat stronger enemies with strategy. We’ve adjusted various elements to accommodate different play styles.

Are these system improvements reflected in both main scenarios?

Komori:
Yes, the scenario of the “Canon of Creation” arc has not been changed, however systems have been updated to be similar to the “Canon of Vengeance” arc.

That’s reassuring for those who are playing “V” for the first time. Finally, could you please give a message to players who are looking forward to the game?

Doi:
Fans have been waiting for a long time since the release of the previous work, however we are finally ready to deliver this new title. We have prepared a dark and bitter story that emphasizes the essence of Shin Megami Tensei along with its captivating demons. We would be delighted if you could support us in anticipation until the day when you can experience a new Nahobino journey yourself.

Komori: By including new systems which we have not yet been revealed, we have once again placed an emphasis on the existence of demons, and created a game where you can raise and interact with them. I think the finished product is something that I can confidently recommend to fans, so please look forward to it.

Interesting dev interview here. You might want to give it a read Danjin44 Danjin44 👀

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Famitsu had previously published an excerpt of a developer interview for Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance from this week’s issue of Weekly Famitsu magazine #1839. With the release of the issue today, the full interview featuring director Shigeo Komori and character designer Masayuki Doi has been released, and the translated version can be read below.

New Story Scenario​

First of all, please tell us about the process involved with planning Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance.

Komori: It seems players enjoyed the previous work, Shin Megami Tensei V, more than we had expected. We received a lot of positive feedback from both within Japan and from international audiences. As players delved deeper into the game, we started to receive feedback that there was room for improvement, and we took a look at those issues.

Doi: For example, we received praise for the quality of models for the demons that were bought into 3D for the first time for the first time since the mainline title Nocturne, but we also had comments stating that there should have been more demons.

The total number has certainly increased. Furthermore, it seems that this work also includes an “expansion” that goes further than just improvements.

Komori:
In the previous title, there were many details and background behind the story, but many of these were not touched on in the actual narrative. This was simply because there was no compelling reason to delve deeply into those aspects for depicting the story of the previous game. However, when this project began I started thinking about how to bring these elements into focus. A story about another possibility which could have occurred… This is the idea behind the “Canon of Vengeance” arc.

It seems that players are prompted to choose a route at the beginning of the story, but which should they choose first?

Komori:
If you haven’t played the previous game’s story, the “Canon of Creation,” it’s perfectly fine to start with the “Canon of Vengeance.” Both stories share the same beginning, but over time various changes will occur in events, conversations and with battles taking place in different locations. Even if you clear one route and then start the other, you will start to feel like the two stories are becoming more and more out of sync, despite following the same world and timeline.

What is the reason for choosing “vengeance” as the theme, as indicated in the title?

Komori:
In the previous work, the “Canon of Creation,” the story revolves around creating a world, and in the background to that, there is the “Snake God” and the “Ox God.” The story of the previous work was, in some aspects, told from the perspective of the Ox God. When you dig deeper into the Snake God, you find legends where it is subjugated by the Ox God and its followers.

Some of these relationships were hinted at in the nuances of the dialogue and designs of the demons, but this was not a main focus of the story. So for Vengeance, we wanted to structure a story from the Snake God’s perspective, a tale of revenge by the oppressed. Our planners, including Doi and the development team then suggested which demons would be appropriate for this approach.

New Characters and Character Changes​

Leading this is the four female demons known as the Qadištu, right? This might be an unfamiliar name to many readers, but please tell us how you interpret it in this work.

Doi:
The Qadištu is a demon that I strongly proposed and was eventually incorporated. The original “Qadištu” is a Sumerian term, referring to those who served the gods of that era or those in positions similar to priestesses. There are various interpretations of what the Qadištu actually did, but in this work, we interpret it as “the oppressed,” intertwining it with the theme of the story. In expressing the chaotic elements focused on the Snake God, I believe that by introducing demons that tempt people, lead them astray, and bring about ruin would add depth to the story.

Chaotic elements… That’s intriguing. Currently, only Lilith, the leader of the Qadištu, has had her name revealed. May I inquire about her design concept?

Doi:
In terms of concept, we aimed to embody the primal form of the female demon as described in the Jewish Talmud and Zohar. We infused the design with defiance against the creator and Adam, along with seductiveness, beauty and ugliness intertwined, typical demon traits, and the dignity of a female demon leader.

How about the new human character called Yoko?

Doi:
Actually, there was a time during the development of the previous game when we were considering having Yoko appear. Ultimately, we decided against it, but she plays an important role in depicting the revenge story in this title, so we are very excited to have her included this time.

Along with her interactions with the Qadištu, the addition of new characters to the relationships among the main characters will reveal different aspects of the existing characters compared to the “Canon of Creation” arc. In some cases, the presence of Yoko and the Qadištu may trigger significant changes in the relationships with existing characters as well.

I see. Watching the released PV, Tao’s dialogue seems to suggest that…?

Doi:
Tao in the “Canon of Creation” arc appears to be the typical honor student type, but what kind of aspect she will show in the “Canon of Vengeance” arc… I would like you to experience that in the game itself.

Komori: In the previous title, there were many comments expressing how they wished the relationships between characters would have been explored more in depth, so we addressed that in the two main scenarios and additional quests in this game. Through each scenario, you should be able to gain a deeper understanding of each character’s inner workings and motivations

New Mechanics​

I assume the evolution of mechanics and new elements will be gradually revealed in future updates, but could you give us a few examples? For instance, in the PV, the protagonist is seen running through the air…?

Komori:
That’s the “Magatsu Road,” a feature that makes field exploration more convenient. By finding these locations, you can create shortcuts in your journey and discover new demons, quests, and other enjoyable surprises.

I’m also curious about the special passive skills added to all demons.

Komori:
In the previous game, certain demons had unique skills, and we have added to those this time, but there’s also another aspect akin to “traits” that all demons possess. This allows for weaker demons from the previous work to find new utility, or combinations with specific skills might make them strong. It encourages players to try out different compositions than in the previous title.

I see. It seems like a feature where those who enjoy tactical thinking will feel the changes the most.

Komori:
Additionally, we’ve added a feature for doubling the battle speed to increase the game tempo, and we’ve revisited level scaling (where enemy strength varies depending on the party’s level), allowing for lower-level parties to defeat stronger enemies with strategy. We’ve adjusted various elements to accommodate different play styles.

Are these system improvements reflected in both main scenarios?

Komori:
Yes, the scenario of the “Canon of Creation” arc has not been changed, however systems have been updated to be similar to the “Canon of Vengeance” arc.

That’s reassuring for those who are playing “V” for the first time. Finally, could you please give a message to players who are looking forward to the game?

Doi:
Fans have been waiting for a long time since the release of the previous work, however we are finally ready to deliver this new title. We have prepared a dark and bitter story that emphasizes the essence of Shin Megami Tensei along with its captivating demons. We would be delighted if you could support us in anticipation until the day when you can experience a new Nahobino journey yourself.

Komori: By including new systems which we have not yet been revealed, we have once again placed an emphasis on the existence of demons, and created a game where you can raise and interact with them. I think the finished product is something that I can confidently recommend to fans, so please look forward to it.

Interesting dev interview here. You might want to give it a read Danjin44 Danjin44 👀
All of these are really making me super hype for SMT5V and once again devs hate me and decide to release SAME FUCKING DAY as Elden Ring Expansion....
why-do-you-hate-me-hate.gif

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Best birthday gift ever lol, can't wait to double dip and play through the new story content. I'd say the story was the weakest part of SMT V, so if they manage to fix it this one might end up as my favorite SMT game.

Can't wait to check on the blasphemous might of the Nahobiho.

shin-megami-tensei-v-vengeance-gameplay-and-qol-changes-detailed.png

SMT GAF, is the soundtrack worth 90 for mono-channel sound?
One of my favorite game soundtracks. IMO SMT IV's is better but V doesn't fall too far behind.

Some of my favs:

edit: The whole OST is on Sporify btw, alongside many other Atlus games. (But not DDS, for some reason)

Last edited:
New high res pics with the female demon character models from SMT5:V

Shin-Megami-Tensei-V-Vengeance_2024_03-20-24_022.png
Shin-Megami-Tensei-V-Vengeance_2024_03-20-24_028.png
Shin-Megami-Tensei-V-Vengeance_2024_03-20-24_023.png

Characters, demons, and systems detailed (Gematsu):
■ What is Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance?

Released in 2021, ATLUS’s renowned RPG Shin Megami Tensei V has sold more than 1 million copies worldwide.

This highly acclaimed title has evolved in every aspect, including the system and scenario, and will be available on multiple modern platforms!

At the beginning of the story, the player is presented between two routes. The story told in Shin Megami Tensei V, the Canon of Creation, and a brand-new route, Canon of Vengeance, a dramatic tale of revenge by the fallen.

The Canon of Vengeance follows the scenario of Shin Megami Tensei V, but changes drastically from the latter half of the game. The outcome will be completely different. Enjoy the two divergent stories to your heart’s content.

The battle system, demon fusion, and field exploration have also evolved in depth with the addition of new elements. We are excited to deliver a full-fledged RPG that can be enjoyed by those who have already played Shin Megami Tensei V, as well as those who are playing this series for the first time.

■ Story

Thou shalt be God—

When a grisly murder scene in modern-day Tokyo blocks our protagonist’s walk home, an unplanned detour leaves him buried and unconscious. He awakens in a new Tokyo, a wasteland ravaged by apocalypse now called Da’at… but before bloodthirsty demons can claim his life, a savior emerges, and the two of them unite to become a mighty being, neither human nor demon: a Nahobino.

Revenge Awaits

Demons attack humans and seek to create a world of chaos. Bethel, an organization that seeks to protect God’s order. Caught up in the conflict between the two, while exploring Da’at, the protagonist meets and starts traveling with Yoko Hiromine. Using magic, Yoko and the main character stand together on the front line.

The Qadistu, four female Demons stand in their way. “Found it, the Key of Resurrection……” A member of the Qadistu, Lilith, calls protagonist the Key of Resurrection, and herself The Oppressed. What is their purpose? A tale of revenge by the oppressed begins.

■ Characters

Tao Isonogami
(voiced by Jeanine Tirado in English, Hayami Saori in Japanese)

“You were ready to do whatever it took to protect someone you care about. I know exactly how that feels.”

Tao is a classmate of the protagonist and a member of the high school lacrosse club. Friendly and caring.

She has possessed a strong spiritual sense since when she was young and has been assisting Bethel Japan as their “saint.” She supports the protagonist once he joins Bethel.

In combat, Bethel Japan as their “saint”, she specializes in healing and support skills.

Yuzuru Atsuta (voiced by Mark Whitten in English, Kaito Ishikawa in Japanese)

“Innocent people get born into pain they can’t escape and don’t deserve. What do you call that but proof that our world’s fundamentally broken?”

Yuzuru is a friend of the protagonist.

Holding a strong sense of justice, he joins Bethel as a temporary unit to fight demons and protect his sister Miyazu.

He gains more power after visiting Da’at with the protagonist, reaffirming his commitment to fight for peace in Tokyo.

In battles, he wields the Demon Summoning Program to summon his loyal demon partner Hayataro as his demon partner.

Ichiro Dazai (voiced by Stuart Allan in English, Kishou Taniyama in Japanese)

“That angel taught me something truly important: you can’t rely on others to carry out your justice.”

Ichiro is a classmate of the protagonist. He has a cheerful personality but can often be rather tactless.

His grades are poor and often seen as “useless” at school.

As he livestreams himself as a hobby, he is dragged to Da’at after a tunnel collapse incident. Bethel recruits him to fight demons, to which he agrees as he believes that it’s for a noble cause. In battles, he uses unique demons such as Aitvaras and Mokoi as his demon partners.

Miyazu Atsuta (voiced by Ashlyn Madden in English, Ryou Hirohashi in Japanese)

“I refuse to hurt Tao anymore!”

Yuzuru’s younger sister and only relative. Shy and physically weak, she is a frequent visitor to the school nurse’s office.

She respects her brother and is worried about his involvement in Bethel.

Sahori Itsukishima (voiced by Erica Lindbeck in English, Lynn in Japanese)

“Demons are just like people too. There are good types and bad…”

Tao’s best friend and a former member of the lacrosse club.

A victim of bullying by her teammates, leaving her a vulnerable target for the demon Lahmu.

■ Demons

Naahmah
(voiced by Kari Wahlgren in English, Shizuka Ito in Japanese)

“Now wail and lament! Your anguish shall become the Magatsuhi that I seek!”

One of the four female demons of the Qadistu, also known as the “Mother of Demons”. She is the most sensual and seductive of the four Qadistu, and her beauty is said to charm not only humans, but even Angels and Demons.

Eisheth Zenunim (voiced by Allegra Clark in English, Kimiko Saitou in Japanese)

“Now, tell me… what part of yourselves do you hate the most?”

One of the demons of the Qadistu, who seduces humans and leads them to their demise. In Jewish mythology, she is said to eat the souls of the fallen. Under the guise of salvation, she attacks humans and steals their souls.

Agrat bat Mahlat (voiced by Cherami Leigh in English, Reina Ueda in Japanese)

“So I shall dispense a punishment. May your existence be lost to darkness.”

A member of the Qadistu, she is also the “Queen of Demons.” Also known as “the demon who dances on the roof” and is said to wander through the air with her chariot and her train of messengers of destruction.

Glasya-Labolas

One of the 72 demons of King Solomon’s “Ars Goetia.” His form is that of a dog with griffin-wings. Bloodshed and murder, and can predict the future and make people invisible.

■ Gameplay

Press Turn Battle

The battles in this title features a command-based Press Turn Battle.

The Press Turn System rewards the player for exploiting the weaknesses of enemies. If you successfully hit an enemy with the skill type they are weak to, your party will gain an extra turn. The simple, yet tactically challenging battle system is still in place.

This title also offers various new skills and elements that expand the strategic nature of battles.

Striking an enemy’s weak point increases the number of Press Turn icons in the upper right corner of the screen, allowing additional actions! If you keep targeting the weak points well, you can take up to 8 actions, for an unscathed victory.

A number of exclusive skills available only to certain demons have also been added!

■ Systems

Magatsuhi Skill

As the battle progresses, your actions will fill the Magatsuhi gauge. Once the Magatsuhi gauge is capped, you can use the special technique Magatsuhi skill.

Magatsuhi Skills have a variety of effects, including damaging enemies and support and healing skills. This title features more than 50 Magatsuhi skills, including more than 20 newly added to the game, such as ones only usable with certain demons.

Each skill has powerful abilities, so keep an eye out for opportunities to activate them in battle.

In addition to the Magatsuhi skills previously introduced in Shin Megami Tensei V, there are now skills that can be activated when there is a strong mythological relationship between two demons or when there are demons with the same alignment in the party!

Unique Skills

In this title, every demon has their own special passive skill, called Unique Skills.

Unique Skills may include those that increase the power of attack skills, provide powerful effects when a particular demon is present, or ones that are useful for demon conversation.

The combination of the demons allows the player to experience more tactical battles.

—Blessed Melody
When active, your team’s power is enhanced when all allies exploit the target’s weakness with Light Skills.

—Four Heavenly Kings
When summoned with a demon who has the Unique Skill “Four Heavenly Kings” as active, it will enhance its own abilities.

—Demonic Mediator
When active and if a demon negotiation goes sour, your partner demon will intervene to mediate the conversation.

Demon Conversation

When attacked by a demon, you may be able to talk with them and potentially recruit them as an ally.

Each demon has a different personality and preference. In this title, more variations in the conversation are added, deepening the interaction.

Demons vary in temper and personality. If you can negotiate with them skillfully, they will become a supportive companion.

Certain negotiations may be interrupted by an ally demon in your party, triggering a unique interaction. Enjoy the special conversation between the related demons! You can enjoy conversations related to the relationship between the demons.

Sometimes, a demon may surprise you with a pop quiz! Show off your knowledge to impress them!

Guest Characters

As the story progresses, human guest characters may join the party and participate in battles. They can fight and use items in the same manner as demon allies. Use your companions and your demons to your advantage in battle.

Consecutive Encounters

After defeating an enemy demon, a new demon may appear and continue the battle. Although it will be a series of battles, winning may generate bonuses in Macca, EXP, and items earned.

The more demons that discover the protagonist, the more likely it is that a serial encounter will occur. It is also a good idea to aim for a large bonus by engaging in combat with enemies that are densely packed together.

Top Bottom